annaliese
Robert_Weiler

"Religious Freedom/Restoration" Law (Indiana, Texas, Idaho, etc)

annaliese

annaliese

Con

You can just launch right into your debate and have the first word.

This is an open debate, but I'd really appreciate an engaged debater who really cares about this topic. It would also help if they were a student or around my age (simply because I want this to be more of a looser debate with more focus on what you have to say instead of seeing which competitor can rack up the most sources)

Sources are important however so if you have them you MUST (for others voting based on citing sources so it's not unfair) put them in paragraph and the link in parentheses... I'm sorry this isn't "professional" to some standards. Forgive me or turn up your nose, it really doesn't matter to me. Unless I'm breaking some kind of rule, which if that's true, inform me. I'm a goody two shoes.

For example: Cheeseburgers are good (mcdonalds.com) and blah blah etc
May the best competitor win ;)

This law: prevents state and local governments from "substantially burdening" a person's exercise of religion unless a compelling governmental interest can be proved.
Robert_Weiler

Pro

I am actually interested to hear why my opponent opposes a law that by her definition "prevents state and local governments from 'substantially burdening' a person's exercise of religion unless a compelling governmental interest can be proved[sic]."

The United States Supreme Court has repeatedly upheld this principle on First Amendment grounds.

Since I can scarcely think of a reason that anyone would want the State or local government substantially burdening the exercise of their religion without cause, I will let my opponent begin the arguments.
annaliese

Con

"The Constitution of the United States and the Indiana Constitution both provide strong recognition of the freedom of religion but today, many people of faith feel their religious liberty is under attack by government action," Pence said in a statement after signing the bill. (http://www.npr.org...)

Freedom of religion. It’s a great idea, one that I’m not going to deny. But there comes a point where it has been taken too far. The quote above is from the governor of Indiana after signing the bill himself.

The only big problem that I personally have with this law is that it quickly changes to discrimination.
Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

This “law” allows businesses and people to discriminate groups of people that are gay, colored, of mixed heritage, and other types of people that have been discriminated in the past.

Oh, you’re gay? I don’t have to serve you, it’s part of my religion.

Oh, you’re of Mexican and African American heritage? We don’t have to accept you in our community, my religion does not support that.

It’s funny, gay marriage is allowed in Indiana. And all states have passed the Civil Rights Act.

Especially in the situation of gay marriage; I’m not saying you have to agree with their decisions, but we have to provide people with common courtesy.

I can’t yell “I hate everybody and I am going to shoot this whole place up one day” on street corners and say it is protected under the 1st amendment. I am limiting other people’s freedom, and that’s exactly what’s going on here. By businesses not serving customers that don’t agree with their religion, we are limiting their access to common needs such as dining and other products. And that’s not okay. We cannot just shun these people from our community.

Oh, you are gay? You can’t come to this hospital.
Are we really denying treatment of an innocent person just because the people they love happen to be the same gender?

In all honesty, this law should not exist. You have religious freedom protected under the 1st amendment. Is that not enough?

Robert_Weiler

Pro

Robert_Weiler forfeited this round.
annaliese

Con

As my opponent did not post an argument, I will just follow up with a few supporting statements.

This law has had extensive debate on whether or not it is constitutional.

I don"t think that this law should exist. You have religious freedom under the 1st amendment (as stated before) and there needs to be balance and equality in our community. This law does not support that.
Robert_Weiler

Pro

Robert_Weiler forfeited this round.
Posted by ConceptEagle 2 years ago
ConceptEagle
Great job
Posted by Himans45 2 years ago
Himans45
I'm a student in indiana and I think this law is quite dumb tbh.
Vote Placed by ConceptEagle 2 years ago
ConceptEagle
annalieseRobert_WeilerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not most any arguments, he has merely stated his thesis and then forfeited. He also did not cite any sources.
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
annalieseRobert_WeilerTied