dhardage
Black_Death

Religious Schools Should Not Receive Government Funding

dhardage

dhardage

Pro

Some educational voucher programs allow students to use that funding to attend religiously based schools. It is my contention that this violates the Establishment clause and should be prohibited. This is a brief three round debate so round one will be acceptance and brief rebuttal, round 2 for arguments and round 3 for summary. I place no restrictions on my opponent regarding rating but do insist on courtesy and sticking to the subject.
Black_Death

Con

If the schools do not receive funding then it would be hard for them to get supplies for their students. They also would have to constantly ask the parents for money which could possibly put them in a bad situation.
dhardage

Pro

While I sympathize with those parents, having had to subsidize a lot of education for my own children, I cannot agree. Any education besides the public system is a privilege, not a right, and that is particularly true of religious or church run schools. It is the choice of parents to eschew the public schools for whatever reason and place their children in alternate institutions of learning but it is not right to ask every other parent or property owner who pays taxes to underwrite that choice. If the school is church run, it will promote that church's ideology, thus violating the Establishment clause if the 1st Amendment to the Constitution. For these reasons I say again that church and religious schools should receive no kind of government funding, to include vouchers.
Black_Death

Con

Well then religious schools should not be allowed to be made because you are right. In my opinion, they should not be allowed because just the construction of said schools establishes religion.
dhardage

Pro

Religious schools are not the issue, but the use of taxpayer dollars going to them. As long as a church or religious organization wishes to run a school and meet the regulatory requirements, I have no issue with it. I would not try to deprive anyone of the right to educate as they see fit. My point is that there is no justification for either Federal or State tax money to finance such independent education systems in any way.

Thank you for your prompt and courteous replies.
Black_Death

Con

Black_Death forfeited this round.
Posted by dhardage 2 years ago
dhardage
Tony, did you not read the court decision and see the finding of the court? Even paying a portion of the salary of a teacher in a church run school is considered excess entanglement between state and religion. The government CANNOT subsidize any institution that promotes ANY religion, not just Christianity even though that is the vast majority of religiously sponsored schools in this country.
Posted by tonyrobinson 2 years ago
tonyrobinson
" Do all religions get funding, and which religion, only one, which one?
Who says what get taught? Who says what does not get taught? "

The rules are the same for all private schools whether religious or secular. The law has no preference for any religion, if a Buddhist wanted to start his own private Buddhist school that could happen. That Buddhist school would still have to teach the core subjects and meets all state requirements. Those students must also pass the same state tests as public school students. Anything in addition to those core subjects is at the discretion of the school. The parents who have chosen these schools for there children should know everything that is taught at the school as does the State Department of Education.

" It has all ready been proven that education and segregation do not go together. "
Private schools and segregation are two completely different things. Private schools are not allowed to segregate based upon race no more than a public school is.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
My bullsh.... detector is going off
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
You can take YOUR taxes and put YOUR kids in government propaganda schools if you want them to learn the engineering of the decay of our society . That is YOUR right. But do not tread on mine to keep my kids away from the moral decay that YOU advocate.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Why should I pay taxes so our kids can learn those stupid superstitions?
Do all religions get funding, and which religion, only one, which one?
Who says what get taught? Who says what does not get taught?
It has all ready been proven that education and segregation do not go together.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Putting tax money in private hands is where it belongs. It does not belong in high administration costs rung up by teachers unions.Nor should it subsidize failing schools that just so happens to be public.And why should I pay taxes so our kids can learn that stupid evolution class.We came from monkeys, give me a break.
Posted by Harold_Lloyd 2 years ago
Harold_Lloyd
http://billmoyers.com...

Vouchers are a plan to put tax money into private hands, it's not about education at all. Only the religious right will go along for the possibility of teaching biblical science in schools not subject to constitutional scrutiny.
The voucher and online school plans are a product of ALEC, and are designed to profit ALEC members.

Through ALEC, corporations, ideologues, and their politician allies
voted to spend public tax dollars to subsidize private K-12 education
http://alecexposed.org...
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Those vouchers are for education. It is up to the parents where they spend the money. If the public schools do not want to lose out, then fire the subpar teachers and get better ones.Why should a person already paying school taxes have to pay again if they do not want liberal and communist teachers infecting their kids.
Posted by tonyrobinson 2 years ago
tonyrobinson
I know the establishment clause and it says nothing about not allowing for the practice of any religion or against privates schools to teach religion in school. School is mandatory private schools are a choice, so nothing is promoted or forced on anyone, just the exercise of a choice.
The separation of church and state is not an official written statement anywhere. It was invented sometime after the constitution was written.
Posted by tonyrobinson 2 years ago
tonyrobinson
Vote Placed by NoMagic 2 years ago
NoMagic
dhardageBlack_DeathTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con passed on a round.
Vote Placed by o0jeannie0o 2 years ago
o0jeannie0o
dhardageBlack_DeathTied
Reasons for voting decision: No sources used. Con had bad grammar, Made no arguments and agreed with pro (arguments). They also forfeited a 3 round debate (conduct).