lord_megatron
Atheism_Debater

Religious people are obsessed over God

Atheism_Debater

lord_megatron

Pro

Yes, they are obsessed over God as they find signs of him in even human work, they thank him for materialistic things that are refined by them only, and they believe in him even if they fail to convince any atheist. I as an atheist have convinced many of no evidence, yet they still chose to believe. What is that if not obsession?
lord_megatron

Pro

Well then where is your argument?
Signs in human work- Anything good that happens to a believer, they give the credit to God, even if they may have achieved it with their own abilities or someone else worked hard for it. Ex. If a believer wins an award for science, he'll thank God in his mind first, even though it was his hard work. Even if he had a tutor or some other help, God gets in between first.
Thank him for materialistic things- If a believer wins a lottery, he would be thanking God, but that was his own luck. God wouldn't waste time shuffling boxes, now would he? Also they say to thank the God for everything, like shelter, food and water, but if only that guy paid his bills and thanked the grocer for the loan rather than praying.
Evidence- This is just on personal experience. I had an argument with my friend who believed in God, he gave up when my questions continued but he still believes in God. Even on this site in one debate the person failed to provide evidence and just mocked me for not believing.
I await con's rebuttals.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Introduction:

I, as Con, will be taking the stance that no, religious people are not obsessed with God, and lord_megatron, as Pro, will be arguing that religious people are obsessed with god. I hope that we can both treat each other with respect and maturity so that we can have the best debating experience possible. I look forward to the ideas presented in the debate.

A1:

One reason religious people are not obsessed with God is because many religious people don’t even believe in God. One example of this is Buddhism; followers of Buddhism (376 million) do not hold any belief in God,

There is no belief in a personal god. Buddhists believe that nothing is fixed or permanent and that change is always possible. The path to Enlightenment is through the practice and development of morality, meditation and wisdom.” (1)

A2:

The definition of obsessed provided by Merriam-Webster is, “a state in which someone thinks about someone or something constantly or frequently especially in a way that is not normal.” (2)

“A comprehensive demographic study of more than 230 countries and territories conducted by the Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion & Public Life estimates that there are 5.8 billion religiously affiliated adults and children around the globe, representing 84% of the 2010 world population of 6.9 billion.” (3)

If more than half the population believes in God, then it is rendered normal. Since more than half of the population believes in a god, then believing in god is normal. According to definition, religious people are not obsessed with God.

R1:

In my opponent’s two arguments about luck (I will group them together because they both basically have the same idea) says, Anything good that happens to a believer, they give the credit to God, even if they may have achieved it with their own abilities or someone else worked hard for it. Ex. If a believer wins an award for science, he'll thank God in his mind first, even though it was his hard work. Even if he had a tutor or some other help, God gets in between first.”

In a study done on black business owners (4), the owners were asked, “To what or whom do you attribute your success?” Out of all who were surveyed, only 13% attributed their success to God. This defeats my opponent’s arguments.

R2:

My opponent goes on to say this, “Evidence- This is just on personal experience. I had an argument with my friend who believed in God, he gave up when my questions continued but he still believes in God. Even on this site in one debate the person failed to provide evidence and just mocked me for not believing.”

As a fellow atheist, I know what it feels like to be mocked for not believing, but I do not see how this relates to the topic. In the future, if you are to present something in the debate, please make it about the debate; abstract topics like this should not be included.

Conclusion:

In my arguments, I have successfully proven that religious people are in fact not obsessed with God. I have done so by proving it though the definition of obsession, and through examples of religions that don’t even believe in God. I have also defeated my opponent’s two arguments (really one) using evidence and statistics. I look forward to my opponent’s next response. Thank you!

Citations:

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk...

2. http://www.merriam-webster.com...

3. www.pewforum.org/2012/12/18/global-religious-landscape-exec/

4. https://books.google.com...

lord_megatron

Pro

'One reason religious people are not obsessed with God is because many religious people don"t even believe in God. One example of this is Buddhism; followers of Buddhism (376 million) do not hold any belief in God.'
Two things. One, Buddhism is sometimes thought of a code of conduct rather than a religion, and Buddha himself was considered an atheist. Two, there is a sect in Buddhism that worships him as a God, and Buddhism is not yet a large religion.

'If more than half the population believes in God, then it is rendered normal. Since more than half of the population believes in a god, then believing in god is normal. According to definition, religious people are not obsessed with God'
That way I could just spread an absurd idea but if half the world believes it, will it be right? Moreover, it has become 'normal to be obsessed' so it still counts.

'In a study done on black business owners (4), the owners were asked, "To what or whom do you attribute your success?" Out of all who were surveyed, only 13% attributed their success to God. This defeats my opponent"s arguments.'
But at that time the questions are being answered logically. Also, even in school you are taught to 'thank God for everything he has given you' but God has just given us the Earth that we refined. Therefore comes in play the obsession.

'As a fellow atheist, I know what it feels like to be mocked for not believing, but I do not see how this relates to the topic. In the future, if you are to present something in the debate, please make it about the debate; abstract topics like this should not be included.'
I just wanna say how believers retort to excuses if they fail to provide convincing arguments. They have reached the limit of mocking a person that very much exists for a person that they have never saw. Again, ain't that too much?

'Conclusion:
In my arguments, I have successfully proven that religious people are in fact not obsessed with God. I have done so by proving it though the definition of obsession, and through examples of religions that don"t even believe in God. I have also defeated my opponent"s two arguments (really one) using evidence and statistics. I look forward to my opponent"s next response. Thank you!'
Far too quick. Wait 1 round at least before concluding.
Atheism_Debater

Con

Thanks for the fun debate, look forward to the result :)
Posted by AbbyRitter 1 year ago
AbbyRitter
megatron got rekt in the second round.
Posted by Atheism_Debater 1 year ago
Atheism_Debater
(my citations are in numbered order, it wouldn't let me do it in numbered order for some reason)
Posted by Atheism_Debater 1 year ago
Atheism_Debater
haha
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
lol you stealing his limelight.
Posted by Atheism_Debater 1 year ago
Atheism_Debater
Lord_megatron,
Why not?
Posted by Atheism_Debater 1 year ago
Atheism_Debater
rayhaan779,
I would normally be interested to debate you, but sadly I have a very limited knowledge of the Islamic religion, so I would not be fit to debate that topic.
Posted by rayhaan779 1 year ago
rayhaan779
If you are a Muslim then there's no such thing about being obsessed with God. Once you understand and believe God exists then you know the purpose of your existence. If anyone wants to debate me on the proof's that Islam is the true religion and the Quran is the true book of God, then please feel free to challenge me I'm open to debate.
Posted by lord_megatron 1 year ago
lord_megatron
hey why a second debate has started here?
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
Lol that's where everyone goes wrong.
Posted by Nicoszon_the_Great 1 year ago
Nicoszon_the_Great
Isn't that kind of a prerequisite?
Vote Placed by Valkrin 1 year ago
Valkrin
lord_megatronAtheism_DebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con fulfilled his side of the BoP and showed that religious people are NOT obsessed over God. However, he did forfeit the third round. So conduct goes to Pro b/c of this.
Vote Placed by Chaosism 1 year ago
Chaosism
lord_megatronAtheism_DebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not provide any arguments in Round #1 or Round #3. It is understandable for Round #1 because it is often used for acceptance only, but Round #3 should have been used to defend his rebuttals. Therefore, Pro's rebuttals stand. Con used the only sources.