brett.winstead
BornToDebate

Religious people do not actually have faith in his/her God

BornToDebate

brett.winstead

Pro

I contend that no religious person has faith in their chosen God whether it be Jesus, Yahweh, Allah, Krishna, etc. The word "faith" can have numerous meanings but I will start by outlining the main definition of faith as (from dictionary.com):

"confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability." When someone like a Christian says that they have faith that God will save them from their sins if they believe in Jesus, this faith is a faith in a "person or thing" or God in this case. This is to be the focus of this debate.

From thefreedictionary.com, it defines it as "Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing." Again, this definition agrees with the first one as in confidence in a person (God).

I will debate that nobody has this faith. Please do not accept unless you plan to finish the debate all 5 rounds. Thanks.
BornToDebate

Con

You have faith that this debate even exists considering that you made it.

Humanity has faith. If it didn't, it would be completely suicidal.
brett.winstead

Pro

I will post yours in Italics.

You are using a different definition of faith, one which is " something that is believed especially with strong conviction." This is not denied. If you read this debate carefully, it is only about the religious definition of faith, the one that I pointed out. Do you understand the difference in having faith in God and having faith in an idea?
BornToDebate

Con

God is nothing but an idea, as is religion. The Faith in a God is no different to that of any conceptual entity, such as this debate itself.

To follow a religion, to give up freedom one would have by restricting themselves to traditions and rituals that make no sense to adhere to unless one fears God punishing them means that one has faith in the God.

To be religious is to have faith anyway.
brett.winstead

Pro

I have got to start remembering to state the criteria for my debate opponents. You cannot debate this unless you have faith in a God.
BornToDebate

Con

I have faith in a god. If you noticed on my profile, I'm a deist.

Also, you never rebutted my argument.
brett.winstead

Pro

A deist does not have faith in God. There is nothing to debate here.
BornToDebate

Con

I firmly believe that God exists. I'm a deist.
brett.winstead

Pro

brett.winstead forfeited this round.
BornToDebate

Con

BornToDebate forfeited this round.
Posted by GarthVader 3 years ago
GarthVader
Brett

If your premise is that there is no such thing as a real deity, and therefore there is nothing in which to have faith, then your whole argument is flawed.

Faith is to believe in something which cannot be physically verified/proven, or has not yet been attained. If you could see it, touch it, and verify the truth of it physically, then you are no longer dealing with the concept of faith. What you are dealing with, in that event, is fact...not faith.

One of the religions, Christianity, defines faith in this way:

Hebrews 11:1 -
'Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen.'

One can't hope for something which they already possess, and one can't physically prove something which cannot be physically detected (seen). So your dictionary definition does not define faith for this religion.
Posted by brett.winstead 3 years ago
brett.winstead
Just to let anyone know, I lost interest in this debate the moment I realized that my opponent is a deist which means by definition he cannot possibly have faith in a personal God's promises. Belief in a God is not the same thing as faith. I am willing to have this debate with a Bible believer or a believer in any holy book.
Vote Placed by snamor 3 years ago
snamor
brett.winsteadBornToDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff and by admission failed in setting the debate criteria. Although brief, Con's arguments were solid and went mostly unanswered.
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
brett.winsteadBornToDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro fails here.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
brett.winsteadBornToDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither gets conduct since both missed a round... Argument goes to con, since he stayed on topic longer and held to his claim that even pro had faith; whereas pro left the debate topic and actually wasted a round complaining that they didn't like having con as an opponent.
Vote Placed by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
brett.winsteadBornToDebateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Umm... Ok.. Well, Pro never proved they don't have faith, while Con was pretty convinced he had faith. "Please do not accept unless you plan to finish the debate all 5 rounds. Thanks." The Pro said this, but was the first to ff and not finish. He also started defended himself only by saying Con doesn't have faith in god and is basically lying..