Madsolesen
BonoboMoon

Religious traditions and rituals should not be passed on to future generations.

Madsolesen

Pro

In my opinion, religious beliefs from the past have way too much influence on today's society. Regardless of which religion we"re talking about, each and every one of them require the people believing in them to mark and show their religion in some way - either by praying every day, dressing in a special way or other things. Many of the religious people practising these actions find them necessary and they find comfort in them - which I completely respect. You should of course be allowed to do what you like to - but I don"t think these rituals should be passed on to future generations. Babies and young children who haven"t gotten an impression of the world yet should not be born into a certain religion with specific rules of how they should act.
I believe religion was originally created so people could have something to believe in; something that answered all life"s questions. Today, now that we have science, we know the answer to many of these questions, (e.g. that the earth was not created by a god and that there can be no such thing as a healing prophet or a woman getting pregnant without being sexually active), and that"s what causes me to think religion is not necessary anymore.
BonoboMoon

Con

Parents should be allowed to raise their children how they see fit. It would be near impossible, if not completely impossible, to implement a world wide system to silence the teachings of elders to their kin. Religions are lifestyles and it wouldn't be fair to force people to stay quiet.

I personally am against religion. Yet, I understand the importance of letting people figure things out as they get older.

Another point would be that there are over a thousand different religions worldwide and again, implementing a system to prevent all people from sharing their life's path with their family or friends is just not possible.

"Babies and young children who haven"t gotten an impression of the world yet should not be born into a certain religion with specific rules of how they should act." Do you really believe that teaching young kids intolerance for the practices of others is much different than mainstream popular religions? (Judaism, Christianity, Islam)
What do suppose a child would do when they notice their parents praying 4 or 5 times a day, wearing funny hats, or talking to invisible men? Would you expect the parent to simply keep their reasoning secret?
Do we ban people from speaking that have dedicated their life religiously to science?
Madsolesen

Pro

Thank you for your participation. Let's have as good debate.

As you say, letting people figure out things as they get older is of huge importance. This is why I find it important for religious people's children not to be bond by their family's traditions; If a child grows up with religion and becomes religious himself - and suddenly decides to become atheistic - how would the family react? This kid could be forced to perform religious actions every day for no reason, just because he is a victim of his family's beliefs.

I agree people should be able to raise their children how they see fit - but if they choose to do this using religion, I say they'd need some information about child raising.

I see your point with how wide-spread religion is and how difficult it would be to change this. I agree it is difficult - but only because people live with and enjoy their beliefs every day. In the future, however, if the growth of cultural-religious people continues and extremely religious rituals/traditions are not passed on, the problem would be much smaller.

Along with the wave of new general technology, I believe people are beginning to think more independently. If religious people performed their rituals less in public and maybe kept them more to themselves, then yes, I would think it would be possible for children not to be religiously influenced by their parents/relatives.
BonoboMoon

Con

BonoboMoon forfeited this round.
Madsolesen

Pro

Madsolesen forfeited this round.
BonoboMoon

Con

BonoboMoon forfeited this round.