Glen.Malik
pixel20

Religious views should not be taught at a young age.

pixel20 has forfeited round #2.

Glen.Malik

Pro

As one who grew up in a conservative home with a family heavily following the Christian faith, I believe it was a disservice of them to indoctrinate me and my younger brother at such a juvenile age like so many others. People instill beliefs into children who don't think to question their parents because they're to trusting and afraid of what might happen when they die, like so many are.
What you learn as a child is incredibly influential, which is why tyrannical men like Hitler indoctrinated children into a certain lifestyle, so that they could carry that with them from a young age. It is why child soldiers exist in third world countries and why they have existed. Not that I'm correlating the evil nature of these actions with religious practices, but the basic concept is the same; to instill from a young age the thoughts of faith and religious belief.
What I would propose would be a restriction on religious indoctrination of children and teachings of religious mentor-ship till they at an age to learn from themselves. (Perhaps 15 and above) Parents could instill moral values without the need for interjecting religious views and schools could help in that regard. once reaching the preferable age, the child would then be given every source and tool at their disposal to choose what belief and moral code rightfully suits them, be it religious, atheist, or something completely new.

Any counter reply is more than welcomed, all I ask is for things to remain civil and for all to have an open mind to both pros and cons of the debate as it rises forth.
pixel20

Con

If all adults taught their children religious values, positive values such as social stability and lessening of conflict can occur, uniting the human race and leading to focus in many aspects of life. A good example is present in Patrick Fagan's article (http://www.heritage.org...) which states, "The strength of the family unit is intertwined with the practice of religion. Churchgoers are more likely to be married [and] less likely to be divorced" (Fagan Why Religion Matters: The Impact of Religious Practice on Social Stability). Through his quote it is evident that teaching religious values to children and other human beings, social stability occurs which can lead to less overall conflict and negative influences being present throughout the world. Without a doubt it is clear that if all adults made their children abide to religious values, immense improvement can occur within the human race.
Glen.Malik

Pro

Thank you for your participation, pixel20.

As I stated before, morality is something that most children can learn and cultivate morals without the interjection of religious beliefs and principals. Most children and people in general know by instinct what would be considered inherently good or inherently evil. To add further emphasis to a child over how to conduct themselves morally, one could simply teach the simple motto, "treat others the way you wanted to be treated", which is a great first step in the right direction for a child to develop their own views as well as understanding right from wrong.

In the case of family growth and stability, I concede with the data and the observation that religious families tend to be one more stable and with lower divorce rates then non-religious families. However, other studies have also shown that "for individual norms... this rule of cohesion no longer applies." (http://family.lovetoknow.com...) [How Does Family Religion Decrease Family Cohesion? Paragraph 1 of that section] From these teachings of religious and moral values comes another predicament, the challenges that the religiously brought up adolescence face when they meet contradicting views from other individuals. Their ability to connect with others become skewed when facing such people as their biases and lack of understanding with the different way of thinking creates a gap that usually can't be mended. Instead, this leads to minimal social communication and friendships with others holding opposing views as they children seek out those of like mind. Granted, humans are predisposed to do so already but this is pushed further when the conflict arises with morals and things taught by family. Many do not wish to tempt their fate by delving into other ways of thought and belief because, sadly, in many religious practices, does who do not follow said doctrine they are guaranteed a spot of torment such as hell or limbo. This looming chance of damnation ruins the possible friendships and moments of empathy that otherwise could arise with more common ground to share among-st people .

During your closing statement, you made the claim (pixel) that all of society would benefit from a following a common religious doctrine and religious values. I disagree. History has shown what happens when people hold a completely uniform beliefs, be it religious or otherwise; mainly in the fate of failed empires and nations. Some of these nations and Empires that come to mind include most Medieval Houses and the ruling Catholic church during that time period, the Holy Roman Empire, the Great British Empire, Middle-Eastern countries which are now at a state of civil war and terrorism, and even Communist Russia and North Korea. (Though Russia had outlawed the practice of religion, it was their uniform belief in their form of government that added to their downfall.) Times in which humanity in different parts of the globe decided to unify under one belief were times in which needless conflicts were fought; where crimes in the name of religious doctrines were normal and even promoted. (Salem witch trials, Jihads, The Crusades, Slavery) Humanity experienced the most growth and prosperity when we deviated from those norms, such as the Great Enlightenment Period and the era of modern science during the 1900's.

Teaching children a uniform religious belief isn't the path to raising children. Letting people choose in their own time what they want to believe insures for more diversity both culturally and spiritually; which in turn will help keep humanity in check and expanding our horizons. Let us allow kids to make their own decisions free from religious influence until they can decide on their own terms what to believe.

Thank you for your call to arms, pixel20. You have the floor
Posted by Glen.Malik 4 months ago
Glen.Malik
It appears as if this debate will not be finished....a shame. Perhaps I should re-post to see if someone will be willing to participate in the debate. Truly a shame. pixel20, I do hope you continue with the debate and not forfeit, would love to hear your thoughts
Posted by KarynaLM 4 months ago
KarynaLM
"If all adults taught their children religious values, positive values such as social stability and lessening of conflict can occur, uniting the human race and leading to focus in many aspects of life."

suppose we strive to practise these values in other ways than through religion.

"Lessening of conflict" perhaps may not be the case as there is a significant amount of conflict in the world purely due to religion.

Because of the wide range of different religions it does not seem that by everyone practising religion it would lead "uniting the human race."
Posted by Bitch_Goddess 4 months ago
Bitch_Goddess
It makes no sense to force a child to conform to your religious beliefs. Not only does it create an indoctrination that makes it harder for the child to change when older (because they were taught by influential people of their lives, therefore believing it is correct), but it also completely discloses the idea of the child having the freedom to think what they want
If I teach a kid that helping people is wrong, there is a large chance they will believe me. If I teach a child that it's okay to hurt people, there's a large chance they will believe me
They are CHILDREN. They should not be treated like slaves to your own personal religious beliefs.
An example of how this is bad could be reflected on gay youth. Children who are gay that come from conservative families are extremely likely to believe that who they are is a sin. They can't help feeling attracted to the same-sex, and yet they believe God hates them for it. Why do you think so many gay kids of religious families commit suicide? Not to mention, many people of religious affiliation disown their children based on their different sexual attraction. BECAUSE of religion.
The majority of children are shamed upon if they dare say they are agnostic or atheist.
Children should NOT BE FEELING THIS WAY! You cannot force a child to believe what you believe. You can try and force YOUR beliefs on them, however not only does it make it detrimental to their mental health if you force your personal ideology on them and they disagree, it depletes their confidence and, dare I say, will to live.
My whole teenage life, my own parents forced me to go to church every Sunday and Wednesday, to every extra church activity, every Church girls camp there was. I hated it the entire time.
They made me feel as though I could not possibly believe otherwise because if God IS real, I would be sent to Hell to rot.
This ideology is horrible for children and should NOT be taught to them until they're mature enough to make their own d