BjarniTomlinson
That1User

Remember your European roots

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

BjarniTomlinson

Pro

Countless people use judeo-christianity as a defence against the islamisation of Europe, however it is often dismissed that they're equally invaders forced upon us with conquest and oppression. Instead we should remember and cherish true European values and these include either belief in, or at least respect for our Pagan Pantheon of Gods.
That1User

Con

Since Pro did not provide a debate format, I shall provide one.
Resolved: Remember your European roots.
The BoP is on pro to prove that we should remember our European roots, particularly by "remember[ing] and cherish[ing] true European values and these include either belief in, or at least respect for our Pagan Pantheon of Gods."
My job as con is to simply show why it is uncessary to do what pro is proposing, and to rebutt pro's statements.
Now unto the debate:

"Countless people use judeo-christianity as a defence against the islamisation of Europe,"
What Islamification of Europe? According to the Pew Research Center, only 6% of Europeans are Muslim, and these numbers are only expected to rise 2% by 2030.
(http://en.wikipedia.org...)
This, however, is perhaps the strongest of pro's arguments, because there are people who do use Judeo-Christianity as a defense against the so called "Islamisation of Europe"

"however it is often dismissed that they're equally invaders forced upon us with conquest and oppression."

I never heard this statement before, unlike the first point. I would like to request from pro evidence for this claim. Not only have I never heard this statement before, but this statement is utter nonsense. First off, Christians did not invade the Roman Empire or other European at the time, but rather the pagan Roman Empire conquered other European nations. In fact, the Pagan Roman Empire persucuted early Christians and thus were violent and oppressive, not the early Christians. (http://www.religionfacts.com...). Despite this, however, the popularity of Christianity grew, and during the reign of Emperor Constantine from 306 CE - 337 CE, the Roman Empire officially became Christian. When the Roman Empire collapsed in C. 476, the majority of Europe was Christian and the Catholic Church reached its peak in power during the Middle Ages in Europe. (http://en.wikipedia.org...) In conclusion, Christians did not invade and force Christianity on Europe with consquest and oppression, but rather Christianity spread naturally throughout Europe and it become the religion for the majority of Europeans.

Pro mentions Judeo -Christians as " invaders forced upon us with conquest and oppression" The Judeo part of this claim makes Pro's statement even more absurd than his Christian part of his claim, as
1)Only about .3 % of Europe's population is Jewish.
2)Jews were heavily oppressed by Europeans (ie the Crusaders, Alhambra Decree, and the Holocaust)

" Instead we should remember and cherish true European values"
1) What are "true European values"? ?
2) The role of remembering "true European values" can be fufilled by studying European history.
3) Why should we cherish "true European values?" Especially if they are bad values? I assume by "true European values" you are meaning traditional European values, as the debate resolution is "Remember your European roots." One traditional European value is conquest, and conquest requires warfare. Perhaps Europeans then glorified war, but World War I and World War II shattered those views, and now people in general despise warfare. Personally, I do not wish to cherish traditional European values such as warfare.

and these include either belief in, or at least respect for our Pagan Pantheon of Gods.

1) Why should people believe in the Pagan Pantheon of Gods if there is no evidence that the Pagan Pantheon of Gods exist? For example, in Greek Mythology it is stated that Zeus and other Greek gods lived on Mt. Olympus. In the 1920s, humans climbed the summit of Mt. Olympus, and Zeus and the other Greek gods weren't there.
(http://en.wikipedia.org...)
2) Also, why should people believe in the Pagan Pantheon of Gods if it contradicts there monotheistic beliefs?
3) The Pagan gods are not to be respected, as there is no evidence that they exist and they were flawed beings.
BjarniTomlinson

Pro

BjarniTomlinson forfeited this round.
That1User

Con

That1User forfeited this round.
BjarniTomlinson

Pro

BjarniTomlinson forfeited this round.
That1User

Con

That1User forfeited this round.
Posted by joetheripper117 2 years ago
joetheripper117
Why would the fact that some of my ancestors worshiped a certain set of beliefs cause me to believe those things?
Posted by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
the Nazis said the same thing; they wanted a new pantheon for the people to look up to, a Germanic pantheon. such a thing leads to nationalism and perhaps, if combined with other facets of nationalism, to other consequences.

why mythologize the past at all?
Posted by BjarniTomlinson 2 years ago
BjarniTomlinson
Yes; in European society we should be Pagan, or at least show respect to Europe's true origins and heritage even if you like many are atheist or spiritualist, rather than claiming to be "traditional Christians" when in reality that's contradictory of values and traditional culture in Europe. I would not go to islamabad or Jerusalem to spread my customs, neither should they do it in Europe.
Posted by joetheripper117 2 years ago
joetheripper117
I do not really understand the premise of this debate. Is it that because we are European, we should be Pagan?