oops
TheLastMan

Removing homework as an activity in school

TheLastMan

oops

Pro

Homework should be eliminated because of students not sleeping, getting streesed, dizzy , or even sick just because of doing their homework everyday from the morning sunshine to the beautiful sunset. Children these days are more tired if you would ask them. They also want to stay in their homes rather than going to school everyday listening to their teachers.
TheLastMan

Con

No, homework should not be eliminated. But, there should be a limit of homework. A review by researchers at Duke University of more than 60 research studies on homework between 1987 and 2003 showed that, within limits, there is a positive interaction between the amount of homework which is done and student achievement. The research synthesis also indicated that too much homework could be counterproductive. The research supports the '10-minute rule',the widely accepted practice of assigning 10 minutes of homework per day per grade-level. For example, under this system, 1st graders would receive 10 minutes of homework per night, while 5th graders would get 50 minutes' worth, 9th graders 90 minutes of homework, etc.(http://dukenews.duke.edu...)
oops

Pro

But according to a website:
( www.independent.co.uk/news/warning-homework-can-harm-your-child-1198820.html )
States that homework is not a good thing. It also states in there that a reporter told "Is homework really necessary? "
TheLastMan

Con

Pro did not refute my argument. He merely states that homework is not a good thing. The information presented in that link is irrelevent to my point. In that link it says "after a survey found that 11-year-olds were doing between one and 12 hours a week and those over 11 between 7.5 and 20 hours. "--> This does not justify the action of removing the homework as an activity in school. As I said in round 1 that within limits, there is a positive interaction between the amount of homework which is done and student achievement. I also said that too much homework is bad. However, limited amount of homework is not bad. I also said how "10 minute rule" works. By following that rule, Students don't have to spend a lot of time in doing their homework. "In 1929, a leading education journal asked "Is homework necessary?""-- For the sake of the space and character limit: http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu...
oops

Pro

oops forfeited this round.
TheLastMan

Con

My opponent forfeited. Vote Con.
oops

Pro

oops forfeited this round.
TheLastMan

Con

My opponent forfeited. Vote Con.
oops

Pro

oops forfeited this round.
TheLastMan

Con

My opponent forfeited. Vote Con.
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
Fair enough. As long homework stays as an activity in school, it's fine by me.
Posted by Liquidz 3 years ago
Liquidz
Even though the debate has finished, I just wanted to say one thing;

I believe Homework should be the Student's choice. As it stands, Students go to school five days of the week roughly from 8:00AM to 3:00PM. That is a long period of time, and if a teacher demands a Student do Homework over the weekend, for the next week, I believe is wrong. It should be a choice.

On average - a Student at High School or College (depending where you are from) will have at least FOUR subjects at school, some subject like Mathematics & English being compulsory (in New Zealand anyway). If a teacher from one subject wants the Student to do a project out of school hours, along with other teachers, then it defeats the purpose of having a break from school, which is VERY important for health care wise.

I don't think Homework should be removed, but given as a choice for the Student, and if they WANT to study that specific subject, or if they deem one Homework more important than the other.

Just saying :)
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
oopsTheLastManTied
Reasons for voting decision: The forfeit didn't help, but Pro's name, oops, is pretty accurate. He dropped Con's arguments wholesale in the second round. And since I love bad puns... I guess he didn't do his homework!
Vote Placed by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
oopsTheLastManTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff