Heathen
Extremely-Far-Right

Repairing a building is different than construction.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Heathen

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

This debate is purely opinion.

In a previous debate, my opponent said "Construction is to construct via parts. Construct (according to thefreedictionary.com) means to form by assembling parts. You can still repair by doing that because it is still in sense assembling parts"

That may be the dictionary definition, but I believe that making repairs to a building should not be called "construction," to me and probably many others, when I see or hear the word construction, I think of people building a house or skyscraper, not simply repairing something, but actually making something that was not there before construction had started.
Extremely-Far-Right

Con

I thank my opponent for challenging me to this odd debate topic.

Since this debate is based purely on opinion and my opponent doesn't want me to use sources I shall give you the definitions of the various words that I think fit the word.

Construction- To assemble with parts or tools.

Repair- To construct a fix on something that has been damaged.

What I am basically saying is I don't believe that all constructions are repairs, but all repairs are essentially construction. Whenever you repair something, you still have to construct or assemble parts. The repair doesn't automatically happen, construction is what eventually makes the repair possible. However, whenever you construct something, it isn't always repairing.
Heathen

Pro

I thank my opponent for his argument.

While it is true that sometimes you must construct something to repair something, they are still different. The act of constructing is putting things together, and repair is fixing, they are two completely different things. If I rip a piece of paper and then take another piece of paper and glue it to the ripped one, is that construction? What am constructing? Im simply gluing paper to paper. This is not construction.
Extremely-Far-Right

Con

I thank my opponent for his argument.

Let me elaborate here a little more:

Construction- The act or process of constructing.
Constructing- To form by assembling or combining parts.

Repairing- To restore to sound condition after damage or injury.

Pro said, "If I rip a piece of paper and then take another piece of paper and glue it to the ripped one, is that construction?"

Based on the definitions that I said above, and most likely to others as well, it is construction. You are basically assembling your pieces of paper and combining them. That means that you are in the act or process of constructing, which is what construction means as stated above.

Thank you, over to you Pro.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
Tough to judge. It's clear that building repairs are done but construction companies, yet auto repairs are not done by auto builders. The difference, I think, is that buildings are made mostly from standard materials that must be "constructed" to function, rather than prefabricated assemblies. Tight semantics.
Posted by Extremely-Far-Right 6 years ago
Extremely-Far-Right
Lol, ok...

I don't think I should have said, "Over to you Pro." I forgot it was 2 rounds...hehe
Posted by Heathen 6 years ago
Heathen
I cant post another argument EFR

and good luck to you too.
Extremely-Far-Right
Good luck Heathen.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
HeathenExtremely-Far-RightTied
Reasons for voting decision: What I am basically saying is I don't believe that all constructions are repairs, but all repairs are essentially construction. - that affirms the resolution
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
HeathenExtremely-Far-RightTied
Reasons for voting decision: Tough to judge. It's clear that building repairs are done but construction companies, yet auto repairs are not done by auto builders. The difference, I think, is that building are made mostly from standard materials rather than prefabricated assemblies. tight semantics.