Corryngf
theaceb

Reparations are owed to the African American Community

Corryngf

Pro

I'm not going to put it all out there just yet, but I'll state my position and elaborate on why I feel the way I do.

I Belive that Reparations are owed to the African American Community, as a whole for their 200 + years of slavery. America was built off of the backs of black people, and thanks to slavery america has become (or was before Bush came to office) one of the Worlds richest super powers.

Ok theres my position If you think you can handle it let the debate begin!
theaceb

Con

It is absolutely true that the U.S. government and its' citizens have vastly oppressed black people in the past.

But the idea of the government giving reparations now is unjust. In policy, the government has allowed blacks all the same rights that white people have, and even some extra privileges.

To charge the taxpayers in the year 2008 for past oppression of blacks, is completely unjust. The current taxpayers did not participate in this oppression and had no control over whether their ancestors or government did long ago.
Corryngf

Pro

I need some clarification on "extra privillages", because I have seen none, oh if you mean affirmative action, it actualy has been most beneficial to White Women, not black people as you might have thought and it will be even more benefical to hispanic people as we proress as nation. Oh or are you talking about welfare? Well I will have you know their are twice as many White families on Welfare than there are blacks. Just incase you didnt know black people pay taxes too, my tax dollars go to the welfare system, just as muh as yours do. Personally I dont count racial profilling as an "extra privillage" you might but I dont know... If I have missed something in regards to all of these wonderful Extra-Privallegs please enlighten me.

In regards to reparations,

"To charge the taxpayers in the year 2008 for past oppression of blacks, is completely unjust. The current taxpayers did not participate in this oppression and had no control over whether their ancestors or government did long ago."

This argument makes no sense. Its like saying I'm not going to put money into the U.S. prison system because I didnt commit any crimes, so I shouldnt have to pay. (Just incase you didnt know, your tax dollars go into the U.S. prison systems).When it comes to reparations, I understand that some forms of reparations are just unacceptable, Like 40 acres and a mule, or the govt. cutting each black person a check no, thats not how I want or see reparations. I want reparations for the African American community, by building up the inner cities, putting money into the school systems, building up the black business, strengthening the black identity, giving credit to blacks where credit is due. Getting rid of "black history month" and actuallly start incorporating our history into the education system, if you have ever taken world history, you will relise that its not really "World history" its more like Europes run in with the rest of the world. It is time for a change.

another question i'm sure you are wondering, who is going to pay for all of this?? One, by all of the tax payers in the united states, white, black,Indian, hispanic, Asian, all U.S. citizens. not just white people, I'm tired of hearing that white people arent the only ones that pay taxes we all do as U.S. citizens, and I think its vastly unfair to ask just those who are of european decent to pay for reparations.

Wher will this money come from??
Instead of investing our money into this idiotic patriot act it could be going to the reparations promised to blacks. Or instead of funding the stupid no child left behind, a total waste of U.S. tax dollars, it could go to reparations,
instead of tax dollars going into slot machines that do nothing but cause more crime, it could be going to something of much more importance reparations to the people whos backs on which this Country is built. Thanks to slavery the U.S. is (or was before George bush got in office) one of the worlds richest largest super powers. If not for slavery America would not be as successful as it is today
theaceb

Con

"I need some clarification on "extra privillages", because I have seen none, oh if you mean affirmative action, it actualy has been most beneficial to White Women, not black people as you might have thought"

Yes affirmative action is the extra privelege I am referring to. Regardless of whether white women benefit most from it (do you have a source for this?), the policy is designed to benefit blacks as well as other minorities and women. It doesn't matter how effective this privelege has been, the only thing that matters is that the government is giving this privilege to blacks and not whites.

"Oh or are you talking about welfare? Well I will have you know their are twice as many White families on Welfare than there are blacks. Just incase you didnt know black people pay taxes too, my tax dollars go to the welfare system, just as muh as yours do."

No, I'm not referring to welfare because it's not a privilege specifically given to blacks, it is specifically given to any low income person. By the way the reason there are twice as many white families on welfare as there are blacks, is because there are far more white people in the nation than black people.

"Personally I dont count racial profilling as an "extra privillage" you might but I dont know"

Racial profiling is not a government policy and it of course is not a privilege. Although it is exercised by it's representatives, it is not an official policy, which is what I'm referring to. Notice I said "the government has allowed blacks all the same rights that white people have" I am only referring to the governments' treatment of blacks through it's policies, which currently is about equal with whites, with a few extra privileges for blacks and other minorities and women. As far as I know the government does not officially have any policies that benefit only white people. The government cannot control the racism of police officers, security guards, (etc.), all it can effectively control is its' policies.

"This argument makes no sense. Its like saying I'm not going to put money into the U.S. prison system because I didnt commit any crimes, so I shouldnt have to pay."

Citizens pay taxes to support the U.S. prison system to punish and rehabilitate lawbreakers, because people are breaking laws NOW and always have and always will. The incapacitation and rehabilitation of lawbreakers is directly beneficial to almost every taxpayer in the U.S., that's why I think it is just to tax citizens for it.

"Just incase you didnt know, your tax dollars go into the U.S. prison systems"

I just love when people subtly insert these little random low-blows to their opponent for no reason, to try to make them look stupid for something they never said. It just puts me in shiny ecstasy all over.

"When it comes to reparations, I understand that some forms of reparations are just unacceptable, Like 40 acres and a mule, or the govt. cutting each black person a check no, thats not how I want or see reparations. I want reparations for the African American community, by building up the inner cities, putting money into the school systems, building up the black business, strengthening the black identity, giving credit to blacks where credit is due."

Thankyou for clarifying what type of reparations you're referring to, because sometimes when people say reparations they do mean that it's the government giving a check to black families. I agree with you on the first part. I can't really rebut much of the other stuff until you tell me how the federal government is going to do things like "build up black business" and "strengthening black identity." Alot of those sound to me like things that city and state government should be doing, not national, or things that government has no place doing even if it's not benefiting the black community.

"if you have ever taken world history, you will relise that its not really "World history" its more like Europes run in with the rest of the world. It is time for a change."

I agree that generally high school World History classes have a very great focus on Europe.
But AP World History classes and college World History classes are generally very well rounded. One reason for that though is because this is the U.S. school system, and the origins of this nation are very much tied to European history, while this doesn't excuse the fact that it is a WORLD history course and therefore should be WORLD history, it is simply an explanation. Also Europeans during a large portion of the world's history did virtually run the rest of the world, because they were some of the most brutal imperialistic nations during that time period, so they managed to extend their influence (mostly through force) throughout the rest of the world.

"another question i'm sure you are wondering, who is going to pay for all of this?? One, by all of the tax payers in the united states, white, black,Indian, hispanic, Asian, all U.S. citizens. not just white people, I'm tired of hearing that white people arent the only ones that pay taxes we all do as U.S. citizens, and I think its vastly unfair to ask just those who are of european decent to pay for reparations."

I assumed this was how reparations were to be payed, and it's still unjust. It's forcing people who took no part in slavery and the oppression of blacks, to pay for reparations. I am fine with private reparations. That is a black family finds out who the descendants of their ancestors' slave masters are, and ask them for some form of repayment. I'm fine with this because people are voluntarily giving and receiving money. The reason I think reparations through government are so unjust is because it's forcing people to pay for something they took no part in.

"Wher will this money come from??
instead of tax dollars going into slot machines that do nothing but cause more crime, it could be going to something of much more importance reparations to the people whos backs on which this Country is built."

I totally agree that tax dollars should not go to any of the things you described, but I don't think they should go to reparations either.

"Thanks to slavery the U.S. is (or was before George bush got in office) one of the worlds richest largest super powers. If not for slavery America would not be as successful as it is today"

Actually slavery really did not help the U.S. become a super power, it actually held the U.S. back, because industrialization was the much more profitable alternative. Industrialization, business strength, expansionist maneuvers and wars are what make the U.S. the number one superpower it is today. It did not rise to this superpower status until after WWII, roughly 80 years after slavery was abolished. Also despite the awful leadership of George W. Bush, the U.S. is still by far the world's richest superpower.

I'd just like to ask for clarification as to how the government will go about doing the things you described, and which part of the government will do it. Thanks.
Corryngf

Pro

Corryngf forfeited this round.
theaceb

Con

100 character minimum, 100 character minimum, 100 character minimum, 100 character minimum, 100 character minimum, 100 character minimum, 100 character minimum
Corryngf

Pro

Corryngf forfeited this round.
theaceb

Con

litmus backmask neocon mark twain doctor kevorkian white rabbit sorbert aloe wang gung ho vietnam slug slamball 100 character minimum wooowooo
Posted by AntiPatriot 9 years ago
AntiPatriot
"you cannot simply state that more white families are on welfare than blacks. That might very well be true, I don't know. However, there are more whites than blacks in this country therefore you must take the percentages within each respective race.

For example: At an all male school, all crimes perpetrated would be male on male. From this you cannot state that women don't commit crimes. You have to look at the population you are dealing with."

I was thinking the same thing. If we use Corryngf's numbers that there are "twice as many whites on welfare than blacks", taking into account that roughly 10% of people in America are black, then blacks are already receiving more aid than whites--contrary to the implications of Corryngf.
Posted by EricW1001 9 years ago
EricW1001
you cannot simply state that more white families are on welfare than blacks. That might very well be true, I don't know. However, there are more whites than blacks in this country therefore you must take the percentages within each respective race.

For example: At an all male school, all crimes perpetrated would be male on male. From this you cannot state that women don't commit crimes. You have to look at the population you are dealing with.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
How can anybody actually think they are owed something special because of the color of their skin?

What about African Americans providing reparations to each other? Only seems fair since it was native Africans who enslaved them in the first place and then sold them. See if you can get all of the people in Africa to provide reparations first.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Absolutely not ,You were not a slave. Your ancestors may have gone through it , but you didn't. If we all got reparations for what our ancestors dealt with everyone would be getting something ... Who would pay for that, I would as it would be the government using my taxes. It is one thing to offer reparations to people that actually went through slavery another to give it to people that have never been a slave in their life. We can't use our parents parents parents to give us a free ride. My family was treated horribly here and back in Ireland by the English , but it is 2008 and I didn't go through it and I don't deserve any free rides for what she went through.
Posted by olle15 9 years ago
olle15
kels1123 you are right you shouldn't have to pay for anything but that dosent reparations of some kind arent in order. Thoses years of inslavement to our ancestors still effect us today. What I'm talking about is our education so my Idea is that reparations be given in the form of scolarships given to any black person who can pass high school with at least a C average have no police records and can be proven responsible enough to go to college.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I am not close minded , but I don't owe anyone anything and I think it is absurd for Black people who were never slaves to stop acting like they themselves were. if a black person who was a slave goes looking for something from the government , I am all for it .. but i am sick of all black people , the ones that were not Alive for slavery acting as though they went through it. They didn't. That would be like me thinking I deserved something from England because my grandmother suffered in Ireland because of British rule... This makes me so mad. You are looking to get something for something you never experienced.
Posted by Corryngf 9 years ago
Corryngf
you are very close minded read my argument it explains everything, you have no right to speak on a topic you obviously dont understand.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I'd love to know who is going to pay for these reparations. I know I'm not , why should I ? I never took part in slavery? Also who will receive these reparations? The slaves , oh wait they have died. Oh so I know you want white people now (who had nothing to do with slavery) to pay Black people now who were never slaves ... for slavery. That is ridiculous , stop looking for handouts. I am so sick of people that had no part in slavery , that never suffered slavery to blame white people that were not alive for any of this and many (like myself ) who did not even have ancestors that took part in slavery.
Posted by olle15 9 years ago
olle15
I want to know these extra privileges theaceb speaks of last I checked we we're equal and sometimes when the gov't is corrupt we have less rights.
Vote Placed by averagejoe212 8 years ago
averagejoe212
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by Janko 9 years ago
Janko
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by Crust89 9 years ago
Crust89
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by SamuelAdams 9 years ago
SamuelAdams
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by qwarkinator 9 years ago
qwarkinator
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by Partyboat 9 years ago
Partyboat
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by AntiPatriot 9 years ago
AntiPatriot
CorryngftheacebTied
Vote Placed by JustCallMeTarzan 9 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
CorryngftheacebTied