Representative democracy will turn into an oligarchy

The elected leaders of states or parties in some representative democracies tend to return in power or someone of their family is much more likely to get in power than equally or better qualified other candidates, not unsimilar to dictatorships or monarchies. Examples are the Bush clan, the Kennedy clan, and the Clintons in the US. the Gandhis in India, or in France the Le Pens.

I will not allow oligarchy. You mention about passing power to the family members right? But sometimes, having this kind of government would lead to political dynasty.

I thank Con for accepting this challenge. I feel deeply that the resolution is an important insight for everyone who desires true democracy and should be universally known to catalyse a important overhaul of democracy. Here is my case:

Those democracies which use the election process instead of demarchic pronciples will always develop into oligarchies, and be run by a political class, who thinks themselves an elite once given power. This perverts democracy and proves a need to develop a better, much more inclusive way to make policy decisions.

I argue that this is an unavoidable consequence of the transfer of power to elected representatives for a long perod of time. The fallacy is that these "servants of the people" end to corrupt their delegated powers to be dominant leaders of their citizens.

How does this come about so automatically? The leaders not only gain the power to decide policy, but also secondary powers: they can favour loyal followers, they are privileged to receive and direct the flow of information or suppress it as 'secret', and they can set the decision processes which suit their interest best.

Their personal interest is political survival and it is a strong " often the strongest " guide of their behaviour. They will use these delegated powers to ensure that they are personally re-elected or otherwise stay in power, and if not them, then their clan.

Representatives gain more and more power in lockstep with the masses becoming more and more apathic ("it"s the leaders" job"), indifferent (reducing accountability for the leaders), and finally the 99% stop to participate ("we cannot decide anything, anyway").

The Bushes, Clintons, and the Kennedy"s are proof to my point, even in the USA which started off as a free country and is becoming less and less so. We need to get our power back from them. We need a new, demarchic democracy of the 99%.

daniel_is forfeited this round.

Con has forfeited his 2nd round, I refrain from adding more arguments.

I take it that the Pro position is irrefutable. Just in case, I would be very interested if Con has any point against the deplorable resolution that the "representative" version of democracy is on a steady path to corruption and headed for failure.

daniel_is forfeited this round.
Posted by Appropos 9 months ago
How will suhc a debate be judged and voted by the Debate community? I invested my time and thoughts but Con simply forfeited. A bit frustrating, actually.
Vote Placed by lannan13 9 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture