AVPC
DavidMGold

Republicans and Democrats must work together to pass an Immigration reform

AVPC

Pro

With a broken immigration system, America is having a hard time controlling its boarder, has undocumented immigrants living in the shadows, and is taking extreme measures to deal with immigration. Both SB. 1070 from Arizona and the executive order that president Obama is about to make are examples of extreme measures concerning immigration. I strongly believe that passing the immigration reform sitting in congress today will strongly help America today and avoid future extreme measures hurting both American families and undocumented families.
To my opponent, I ask to have a respectful, factual conversation that addresses both points of views.
DavidMGold

Con

I accepted this debate because my opponent's view is precisely what is wrong with the debate over immigration. Our immigration system is broken, because our politicians in Washington D.C. refuse to time and time again to defend and secure our borders while also failing to enforce the multitude of laws already on the books regarding immigration. Arizona law, far from being the extreme, was a desperate effort by the state of Arizona to take action where the Federal Government was completely derelict in it's duty. Obama's effort therefore is uniquely extreme on it's own given that the President has no authority under the Constitution to decree amnesty and to legislate it. In fact, there are a host of laws he would have to nullify to accomplish it. The so-called Immigration Reform of Congress is anything but and amounts to passing redundant laws and making redundant promises in light of the Federal Government's refusal to enforce or live up to previous promises that led directly to the increased problem (by millions more entering illegally). So essentially reform in the case of immigration means amnesty, which is precisely what led to the problem we have now. My opponent's claim about "extremes" is pure obfuscation that presents a false dichotomy that blurs the issue when American families by a very clear majority reject amnesty seeing mass illegal immigration to their country as being harmful and costly while illegal immigrants would of course view enforcement of the law as harmful given they are in violation of the laws of this country. I will stipulate to a factual conversation, but I strongly oppose my opponent's argument and to the extent I will address both "views" is that I will be defending my view and arguing against his view. Challenge accepted and I await your arguments.
AVPC

Pro

AVPC forfeited this round.
DavidMGold

Con

DavidMGold forfeited this round.
AVPC

Pro

AVPC forfeited this round.
DavidMGold

Con

DavidMGold forfeited this round.
Posted by Hierocles 2 years ago
Hierocles
@DavidMGold - are you still around? You've been forfeiting a lot of rounds lately, our debate included.
Posted by LibK 2 years ago
LibK
I know how this might sound to most people but I vote for neither.

I think we should once and for all admit that each states' needs are different.

Every state should have the right to determine it's own immigration policy and issue visas as it sees fit. This, of course, would also mean that states will be responsible for the people who receive visas.

Ex. If Texas issues a visa to John, and John somehow ends up jobless in California, it is the duty of Texas to offer financial assistance and/or to deport him. This forces states to be more selective and prevents burdening states that may have more social welfare programs in place. (Assuming Texas allows interstate travel with visas issued)

I understand the desire to have one clean system with uniform laws, but decentralized planning offers more flexibility for states to function as their communities and citizens require.
Posted by Golfer15 2 years ago
Golfer15
I am highly impressed with Con. He knows his stuff and has the same views as me. Obama doesn't have the power to create "executive orders" under the Constitution...
Posted by Firemage007 2 years ago
Firemage007
Are you talking about our debate, "kind of," you posted on it.
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by harrymate 2 years ago
harrymate
Isn't this topic a fact? How do you expect someone to accept this debate?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Our immigration system is not broken. It is not being enforced , mainly by democrats who see a large voting block.Republicna need to grow some and tell the democrats to go pound salt. They have been elected , not to get in bed with democrats, but to reverse their destructive policies.