Republicans are not "racist" as the left claims them to be.

Hello everyone, I would like to debate politics about how the Republican party is not racist. I believe if anything, they're horribly stereotyped because most of the party consists of white Americans. First round is for acceptance. Thank you very much.

I'll accept the debate. Obviously, it would be a mistake to stereotype every member of the Republican Party as racist. As Bill Maher once quipped, "You don't have to be a racist to be a Republican, but if you are a racist, you are probably going to vote Republican." I don't suppose that Republican Party leadership is racist on an individual basis, but leadership exploits white male bigotry in order to maintain electoral power. I am prepared to argue the Republican Party leadership customizes their message to appeal to racists consistently, knowingly, and by their own admission. Further, I will argue that the Republican Party employs a race-based strategy that targets minority voters (particularly blacks) for exclusion from the voting franchise. Therefore, it is fair to characterize the Republican Party as the "racist" party, relative to the Democratic Party or popular minor parties like the Libertarians or the Greens.

Allow me to take exception to the term "left-wing" for the purposes of this debate. The left-wing/right-wing dichotomy is an allusion to the French Estates General during the French Revolution. Generally, the left side of the parliament was occupied by anti-monarchists and the right wing was pro-monarchy. The term evolved in French politics until left-wing indicated support of human rights before property rights while right-wing favored property rights over human rights. In the modern US, just about everybody is left-wing on the record and right-wing in private (at least, where individual property rights are concerned). Therefore, the terms are useless to this discussion. Couldn't the Republican/Democrat dichotomy suffice?

Many thanks to CON for challenging me in a debate. I wish him the absolute best of luck.

This debate, as I stated above will be about debunking the stereotypes of the Republican party being the party of racists.

Let's take a look back at history shall we? The Republican party was founded on anti-slavery activists in 1854, in the Northern states opposing slavery. The Republican party's ideology and slogan was: Free man, free labor, and free land. The Republican party is indeed, the party that ended slavery, segregation, and made it so African-Americans had rights to vote.

Our first Republican president, Abraham Lincoln, elected in 1860, opposed slavery and as a lawyer before his presidency, fought in the North to defend African -Americans from being slaves. Yes, this may be a long time ago, but it is always important to remember what history is in the Republican Party in a debate about this.

We must realize, racism unfortunately, is still around, and yes you do not have to be a Republican to be racist. In fact, I know a few more Democrats who are indeed racist than Republicans. You have people who are racist in every party, but I am stating that the Republican party is far from racist and disliking minorities. It seems that the party gets wrongly stereotyped as being racist, but if so, how come the Republican party has African-Americans, Mexicans, Asians, Indians, and Native Americans members and voters? I am prepared to debunk your statements and arguments on what you have said in the last debate. As a Conservative Republican, I can tell you and anyone watching this debate that the Republican Party is far from what is being stereotyped, and as a Native American non white, I get treated by people in my own party the way they do anyone else and no different. As to your statement saying "The Republican Party targets minority voters" Is false. What they dislike is illegal immigrants voting. Because, they are not a United States citizen. The law is you must be a U.S. citizen. The law is the law, and they are expected to be follow the law. With illegal immigrant voting, is voter fraud.

Closing Arguments

The Republican party, is very mislead. Often times people stereotype them as "old", "rich", "white", "racist", and "hates minorities". Let's look at people who who are non white, who claim to be Republicans, and are not Democratic. The Republican party does not have racist leaderships, because of the fact that many members of their party are non whites and is getting more diverse. I will save my other arguments for my next debate round and debunk what CON arguments on the Republican Party's "racist leaderships" and targets minorities.

I would like to again thank CON and wish him the best of luck.

Even Republicans think Republicans are Racist

One need not go to the democratic side of politics to confirm that the Republican Party is racist. Plenty of confirmation can be found by asking prominent Republicans. They should know, after all.

Here is Colin Powell's Chief of Staff, Lawrence Wilkerson, speaking last year just before the presidential election:
  • "My party, unfortunately, is the bastion of those people -- not all of them, but most of them -- who are still basing their positions on race. Let me just be candid: My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that's despicable. " [1]

Here's Ohio Election Board Republican Doug Preisse:
  • "I guess I really actually feel we shouldn't"t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban " read African-American " voter-turnout machine." [2]

Ann Coulter:
  • "There is nothing harder in the world than being a black Republican." [3]

and here's RNC Chairman and George H. W. Bush Presidential Campaign manager Lee Atwater:
  • "You start out in 1954 by saying, "n*gger n*gger, n*gger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" " that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me " because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N*gger, n*gger"[4]

That last quote represents a particularly damning bit of insight into how the modern Republican Party enlists the racist vote from the American electorate. Lee Atwater served as Ronald Reagan's political director. Reagan made his first public address in the general campaign of the 1980 Presidential election at the county fair in Neshoba County, Mississippi. This would seem a strange choice at first, given that Neshoba County has a small population and that the Mississippi electorate was already a lock for the Republican Party. But this was the site of the famous 1964 murders of 3 young civil right workers, and Reagan came to deliver his "states' rights" speech. One year later, Reagan's own political director breaks it down for us- "states' rights" means "n*gger, n*gger, n*gger." When Reagan made that speech at that particularly site, there can be no doubt that Reagan understood the offer he was making to the South- vote for me and I will keep the black man down. Reagan kept his promise: he vetoed civil rights legislation, [5] fought against Congress' creation of a Martin Luther King Day, [6] and supported Apartheid in South Africa. [7] Reagan did not see himself as a racist, and I would suppose that a black person meeting Reagan in person would not have perceived intolerance in the man. Nevertheless, Reagan actively pursued the "Southern Strategy" of courting the racist vote and, to make the racist electorate happy, Reagan had to pursue a policy of racial intolerance during his tenure.

The Southern Strategy

Reagan wasn't the only one. In truth, Republican power at the federal level has only been maintained over the past 50 years by courting the anti-black vote in the South. After Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, he turned to Bill Moyers and said "Democrats have lost the South for a generation." Johnson understood that the Democrats long stranglehold on the segregationist vote in the South was at an end, and that the Republican Party would work hard to gain those voters. Four years later, Nixon's political strategist saw the opening and advised:
  • "From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[8]

It doesn't get much clearer than that. Rather than reject racism, Republicans saw "negrophobes" as their target clientele. And it payed off. By 1972, the old confederate states, a Democratic stronghold since the Civil War, were solidly Republican and almost every state has voted for the Republican presidential ticket over the last 50 years.

Here's another RNC chairman and GW Bush's manager Ken Mehlman in 2005:
  • "Republican candidates often have prospered by ignoring black voters and even by exploiting racial tensions," and, "by the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African-American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out. Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong." [9]

Suppressing Minority Voters

In spite of Mehlman's apology, there is little doubt that the Republican party continues to rely on the racist vote. Worse, Republicans have expanded racist policies during the last couple of election cycles into attempt by acts designed to redefine the electorate and suppress minority voters.

Florida Republicans recognized that certain color-blind non-profits like the League of Women Voters were successfully recruiting minority voters and banned them.

In Kansas, Alabama, and Tennessee, Republicans passed laws requiring a birth certificate or passport before registration, recognizing that poor minorities and immigrants were significantly less likely to possess these documents.

Noting that most blacks in Ohio preferred to do their early voting en masse after church, Republican banned early voting on Sunday.

Since minorities are statistically less likely to possess photo ids, 9 states, all with Republican legislatures, passed photo id requirements for voting over the past few years. [10]

Republicans consistently mask these efforts as attempts to reduce voter fraud, although voter fraud is quite rare and the measure proposed don't seem to address them.

Republican Party of Florida's ex-chairman Jim Greer admits that voter fraud is just a facade:
  • "The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates," Greer told The Post. "It"s done for one reason and one reason only. " "We"ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us," " Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants."They never came in to see me and tell me we had a (voter) fraud issue," Greer said. "It"s all a marketing ploy." [11]

There's plenty more discuss. How Republican drug policies are designed to imprison minorities at higher rates than whites. How Republican "dog whistle" campaigns on issues like the confederate flag or English only are designed to reinforce racism. How the Invasion of Iraq was sold to the Republican electorate as racial retaliation for 9/11. The Birther movement and extroverted racism of Tea Party republican in 2010, and how Republicans encouraged both.

But I think I have fairly established that the Republican Party has actively recruited the racist vote over the past 50 years and works hard to be seen as the party for racists, without often daring to say so out loud. In exchange for those votes, the Republican party must support anti-minority legislation including voter restrictions, anti-immigration reform, identification requirements, etc. Even prominent Republicans say it is so.

In the 2012 Presidential Election, the Republican candidate garnered only 27% of the Hispanic vote, 26% of the Asian vote, and a shocking 6% of the Black vote. This is not an accident by minority voters, nor are minority voters mislead. So long as the Republican party relies on the support of a racist white electorate in the South to win elections, they deserve to be labeled the Party of racists.

4.Lamis, Alexander P. et al. (1990) The Two Party South. New York: Oxford University Press.
5. Civil Rights Restoration Act-Veto Override, Bill Number: S 557, Date: 22 March 1988, Sponsor:Bill sponsored by Kennedy
7. South Africa Reagan's Abrupt Reversal, William E. Smith; Bruce W. Nelan/Johannesburg and Barrett Seaman/Washington Monday, Sep. 16, 1985
8. Boyd, James (May 17, 1970). "Nixon's Southern strategy: 'It's All in the Charts'" (PDF). The New York Times.

Themoderate forfeited this round.

Since Pro has forfeited, I'll keep my counterarguments short.

Lincoln was a big govt. federalist, who supported big tax increases to drive a moderate, progressive agenda. Lincoln would have found little if any common cause with modern Republicans, and if Lincoln were in politics today, Republicans would reject him as a socialist.

I am surprised that a Native American would defend the Republican Party's record on racism, given the anti-Indigenous sentiments revealed during the Jack Abramoff Scandal a few years back. Abramoff was found guilty of collecting $65 million in lobbyist fees in collusion with Ralph Reed and Grover Norquist, while actively campaigning against the same Native causes he was paid to promote. His trial revealed emails circulating at the top ranks of the Republican power structure that stereotyped Native Americans as "idiots," "morons," "troglodytes," and most commonly "monkeys." Although Abramoff did time, Norquist and Reed remain as leaders in the Republican Party and seem to have suffered no criticism from Republicans for their participation in racially targeted fraud. Is there any other political or corporate entity that tolerates racism of this magnitude? I can't think of any.

To summarize, so long as Republicans continue to rely on racial bigotry to garner the support of racists, especially the "southern strategy" of anti-black campaigning in the South, so long as Republicans as Republicans continue their efforts to prevent minority voting, they will remain the "racist" party. One does not need to ask democrats to confirm this opinion, Republicans themselves can and do acknowledge the racism at their roots.
Posted by sideDish 3 years ago
Some of them seem to be insane, but I don't think they're generally racist.
Unless you interpret opposing Affirmative Action as racism, in which case I'm racist as well.
Posted by echav1994 3 years ago
Bullish needs to explain how I contradicted myself. The quote he used referred to left beliefs. Bullish do you recognize the major problem in black communities with 40% of blacks being raised out of wedlock and by single mothers. Research shows this leads to higher drop out rates and makes it more likely to live below the poverty line. And do you believe the government is the best job creator rather than the capitalist system? Not to mention with the jobs come employer benefits and health care.
Posted by maxtr 3 years ago
Of course Republicans/Conservatives are 'racist'. This is the case due to the fact that the definition of 'racism' is defined by those that are NOT Republicans/Conservatives.
You really need to define 'racism' here. And when you do please keep in mind that only white America is subject to that definition. God forbid that you would think of exposing something other than some white man to scrutiny! That in itself would be racist.
Posted by Bullish 3 years ago
"...government hand outs will best serve poor blacks"

This is what Republicans like this guy likes to say, "I'm not racist but I hate blacks." Nobody but ignorant people contradict themselves so hardily in one sentence.
Posted by echav1994 3 years ago
You are correct that the republican party has been subject to being stereotyped as old, rich, and racist. One I think this is because the republican is much more patriotic (the left believe that America is evil and racist when in fact it is the least) and trusts the capitalist system as the best employer and health care provider, while the left believes that government hand outs will best serve poor blacks. Good Luck!
Posted by Bullish 3 years ago
I would be willing to debate that "Republicans as a whole is generally more racist than Democrats". The phrase "than Democrats claim they are" is way too difficult to define and is a really bad thing to put in a resolution.
Vote Placed by Nataliella 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF, and Con used sources.