Resolution: Single-Gender classrooms would improve the quality of education in American publicschool

History: "it existed in the 18th century before coeducation started to trend in the 19th century. However, it picked up steam in the late "90s, especially when the Supreme Court made a ruling in the United States v. Virginia case involving male-only military college Virginia Military Institute. The conclusion: Single-sex classrooms were only constitutional if comparable resources were available to both genders. In 2006, the No Child Left Behind Act added a provision giving single-sex classrooms and schools the ability to exist as long as they are voluntary. From 1995 to 2006, the number of single-sex schools in the United States rose from 3 to 241" (5) there are many proven benefits to single gender classrooms.

It is because of this reasoning we agree with the resolution.

Case 1: Proven Intellectual Benefits In Single Sex Schools

Students have shown benefit when participating in single sex schools. For instance, look at the difference between single gender school and public school! (1)Not you: Put the date it was taken.

Sex: Boys
Sex: Boys
Sex: Girls
Sex: Girls

A quote from the article about the graph.

"It is very clear by the above chart that both sexes academically benefit from a single-sex education. Studies show that women suffer from a stereotype threat in math and science, meaning that in the fields of math and science women are more apprehensive to perform due to their perceived inferiority to men. Perhaps that is why girls at my high school were so confident in their work, there were no boys to do better and perhaps this is why women are always found to do better in single-sex school environments." Ash: A misconseption, people like to use that excuse for a way to get a way out of work, also if you take a look at boys in america you"d find that they could care less about school. Therefore the dates DOES matter. The data is useless if it can"t be backed up

End quote.

Here is yet another graph, (2) supporting the benefits of single-gender schooling. As you can see from this graph, the percentage of male proficient students in Co-Ed compared to the percentage of males from single-sex schools, double in single-sex schools.
Here is a quote from the article.
" In a research study, done in London, it was shown that single sex male schools allow young men and boys to express their emotional side better than co-ed schools. Boys are more likely to move towards art, along with dance and music, instead of simply conforming to the stereotypes that are perceived in co-ed school districts. Also, in single-sex schools, classes are more structured towards the males" learning style, rather than having to work with both genders (Williams). not you:In this society boys do not go to art often.
A study actually showed that diff. genders dont learn diff. sexist.

End quote.

A quote from my third source, addresses a research study done in London. (3)

Case 2: Advantages of Single-Sex Schools
According to long term studies of children from around the world, students achieve more and learn better in single sex schools.
(3) "An Australian study of 270,000 students found that both boys and girls performed significantly higher on standardized tests when they attended separate schools. During an experiment in Virginia in 1995, 100 eighth graders were separated just for math and science courses. Almost immediately, the girls began to achieve more, become more confident and participate more often in class.In 2001, a British study conclude that nearly every girl regardless of her ability or socioeconomic status performed better in single sex classrooms than co-ed ones. The study of study of 2954 high schools and 979 primary schools showed that while boys at the lowest ends academically improved the most in single sex schools, single sex education was particularly beneficial to girls. Every one of the top fifty elementary schools and top twenty high schools in Britain are single sex schools in britain discibplain is a must, this is america land of the mcdonalds. we don"t teach as Ash: People in Britain are more disciplined than in America.well than britain.When rating their computer skills, 36% of graduates of independent girls" schools consider themselves strong students, compared to 26% of their co-ed peers.
48% of girls" school alumnae rate themselves great at math versus 37% for girls in co-ed schools.
Three times as many alumnae of single-sex schools plan to become engineers.
. "

End quote

Gender inequality and differences
There are many differences between boys and girls. This source supports this.
Boys have a higher physical activity level and develop self-control later than girls.
Girls seem to show stronger verbal skills and demonstrate empathy more readily than boys.
Knowing that:
In general, boys seem to be more successful with increased structure. For instance, one of the best ways to provide instructions for boys is to list directions in bullet format on the board and provide a time frame for completing all steps, or even each step. In this way, teachers can also define specifically how they want students to prepare for tests. Boys will typically only read over their notes or the textbook as preparation, sometimes the morning of the test. Requiring specific steps"such as making vocabulary flash cards the first night, sketching key concepts the second night, and making their own questions the third night"in studying for a test provides clearer expectations and directs students to prepare appropriately.
After several months of setting study expectations, teachers could then make a transition to requiring exit slips, in which students explain how they will prepare for the test as they leave class. Again, this provides more structure in which students take ownership and can be held accountable.
On the other hand, girls tend to benefit from increased opportunities for making connections between themselves and the content. To tap this, teachers could build in more cycles where students voice their opinion about content, make comparisons between content and their own experience, and use manipulatives or real objects to explore concepts.

The facts:
In mathematics, 14 schools showed higher achievement for single-gender girls than coed girls, and in only 3 schools did coed girls achieve higher than their counterparts in single-gender classes. For boys, 13 schools showed higher achievement for single-gender than coed; 5 schools showed the reverse.
In reading and language arts, 14 schools indicated that single-gender girls outperformed coed girls; 3 schools indicated the reverse. For boys, 11 schools said that single-gender classes outperformed coed classes; 7 schools showed the reverse.
In the area of discipline, 7 of the 10 schools submitting data indicated that single-gender classes had a lower number of discipline referrals than coed classes.

More data supporting the position: (5)

"Jefferson Leadership Academies was in the spotlight in 1999 when it became the first public middle school in the United States to have entirely single-gender classes. Its reason? Research showed that girls did better in math and science in all-girl settings. This decision came just a few years after Failing at Fairness: How Our Schools Cheat Girls was published by two American University professors."Ash: research showed that recently genders dont learn diff.

"It eliminates gender stereotypes. When single gender classrooms are available, boys and girls tend to follow personal pursuits that interest them instead of trying to fit into specific stereotypes. Boys, for example, might pursue poetry. Girls tend to stop trying to focus on the goal of "keeping up with the boys" and instead stay focused on their own personal interests." (7)
ASH: At the same time creates stereotypes because if girls no longer are pressured then they say that Girls are smarter than boys. There is no better result for this. Instead of going in to an opposite direction to fix this problem, try and tackle it head on. In Virginia it is against the law to commit a crime while wearing a bullet proof vest. Instead making that law to capture them easily, instead go in for the boycott (analogy).

Case 3: Un wanted pregnancy

studies show that girls who go to single sex school have less unwanted pregnancies. (6)

"Decreased risk of teenage pregnancy.A533; One very robust finding in American schools is that girls who attend girlsA533; schools are dramatically less likely to experience pregnancy than are girls who attend coed schools.A533; For example, at The Young WomanA533;s Leadership School (TYWLS) in Harlem, the rate of teenage pregnancy is about one girl in 40; the rate of teenage pregnancy for other girls in the neighborhood is about one girl in three (Chris Farmer, personal communication, 2003).A533; Thus, the risk of pregnancy for girls attending TYWLS is roughly an order of magnitude lower than for other girls in the neighborhood.A533; Critics respond that TYWLS is a selective school and that girls selected to attend TYWLS may be less likely to experience an unwanted pregnancy regardless of what school they attend.A533; For that reason, the A533;before and afterA533; experience of schools such as the James Lyng High School is instructive.A533; When the school was coed, about 15 girls a year experienced an unwanted pregnancy; after the switch to a coed format, only about A533;one or twoA533; girls a year experienced a pregnancy (Wayne Commeford, personal communication, 2003).A533;Because the Lyng High School is not a selective school but is a regular public school which did not change its enrollment procedures after the switch to the single-sex format, it seems clear that the dramatic reduction in pregnancies was due to the change in format from coed to single-sex.
Ash: You are right. The girls are not going to want pregnancy, or boys, husbands, knowledge of the opposite sex. And stereotypical views. So yea, youre right

1. KATHERINE ALICE BOYLE October 25, 2012

4. David Chadwell 2010

Same Gender Con

Choosing the type of education your child should receive can be one of the most important decisions you make. For most of the 20th century, single-gender schools were thought to be advantageous to learning because of the different learning styles of boys and girls, and fewer distractions caused by the opposite sex. In 2011, however, research published by Penn State University showed that there is no evidence that single-sex schools generate positive effects when compared to coeducational schools.
It is because of this reasoning that we disagree with the Resolution: Single-Gender classrooms would improve the quality of education in American public schools.
My partner and I offer the following arguments to support our position:
First, Personal relationships
Second, Gender stereotypes
Third, Learning styles
Let us begin with the first argument

Personal Relationships
Children spend their formative years in the classroom developing skills that will help them maintain relationships throughout their lives. If a child has little exposure to the opposite sex, building meaningful friendships and even successful romantic relationships can be difficult. Research published by Dr. Lynn Liben in 2011 shows that there is strong evidence of negative consequences accompanying segregating by sex and that doing so promotes the development of negative gender stereotypes.
(how to defend:) If they say it doesnt only refer to kids say that Don"t they build relations in highschool or college? are you saying that if your an adult, your done learning?
Gender Stereotypes
Research conducted at Arizona State University in 2011 shows that classes that separate boys and girls can be detrimental to the personal and social growth of both sexes. As boys and girls spend time apart and do not learn about each other or from each other, negative stereotypes are reinforced. Lynn Liben's research backs this up, showing that when separated for just two weeks, students played less with children of the opposite sex and held traditional stereotypical gender views. We already have a stereotiypical view on the opposite sex, why we would be encouaging this, I don"t know. You are probably thinking that the con side would actually encourage this, but as Thomas jeffreson once said, "Slavery is like holding a wolf (Slavery) by the ears. You can"t let it go (slaves) and you can"t keep it forever." in wish case Slavery in this allusion is stereotypes, the out come will be the same. Learning Styles
A 2007 study conducted by the National Institute of Mental Health found minimal difference between the male and female adolescent brain when it came to learning styles. A popularly held misconception throughout the latter part of the 20th century was that boys and girls learned differently and thus benefited from being diverted when it came to education. The American Council on Education states that there is a far greater achievement gap between students in different racial and socioeconomic groups than between boys and girls. They are still humans and humans learn uniquely, not by sex.

We have Successfully argued against today"s resolution: Single-Gender classrooms would improve the quality of education in American public schools. By proving that it endangers personal relations, enforces stereotypes, and doesn"t teach new learning styles to different Sexes.
It is because of these reasons that we negate with todays resolution and ask for a con decision.

Rebuttal 1, 2 and 3:

I would like to challenge my opponent to the following challenge: How can all these studies I have not show that the genders have different learning styles? If he can not explain, I win the debate.

Case 3: No Academic Benefits
Many studies have shown that there is no significant academic benefit to single gender classrooms. One metta study has shown the following: (1)
"Proponents of single-sex schools argue that separating boys and girls increases students" achievement and academic interest," said author Janet Shibley Hyde, PhD, of University of Wisconsin-Madison. "Our comprehensive analysis of the data shows that these advantages are trivial and, in many cases, nonexistent."
A separate analysis of just U.S. schools had similar findings. Researchers also looked at studies that examined coed schools that offered single-sex instruction in certain subjects and found no significant benefits for boys or girls in these cases.
The analysis, funded by the National Science Foundation, included studies of K-12 schools published from 1968 to 2013. Among the studies, 57 used stronger research methods, such as studies in Trinidad and Tobago and Korea that randomly assigned thousands of students to single-sex or coed schools and tracked their outcomes. Other examples of more rigorous studies controlled for pre-existing differences between students, such as testing students before and after they enrolled in either a single-sex or coed institution. The total sample included 1,663,662 participants in 21 countries. The studies examined students" performance and attitudes in math and science; verbal skills; and attitudes about school, gender stereotyping, aggression, victimization and body image. They did not find sufficient evidence to show any difference in these attitudes between boys and girls in single-sex or coed classrooms.
Theories that single-sex education may be better for students have included the idea that without boys in the classroom, girls would be able to thrive in traditionally male-dominated subjects, such as math and science. "The theoretical approach termed "girl power" argues that girls lag behind boys in some subjects in coed classrooms," said co-author Erin Pahlke, PhD, of Whitman College. "This is not supported by our analysis and, moreover, girls" educational aspirations were not higher in single-sex schools."
The authors noted the lack of studies on single-sex education among low-income students and ethnic minorities, particularly in the U.S., and recommended further research in these populations. "

Furthermore, my opponent suggests that I prove his sources wrong, without stating my sources wrong. He is likely wanting me to be trapped in a corner. In fact he said he wants to be a ****. I would first like him to prove my sources wrong and I shall refute them. I shall not lose fore I have not denied the challenge.

I would like to remind everyone that the resolution specifies the topic is in the U.S.A. Therefore, his worldwide study is unreliable.

My opponent fails to fulfill the challenge I propose. Therefore, I extend.

My opponent also fails to give us the link where he found his study.

Therefore, I am currently winning the round.

My opponent has disregarded my statement that I shall do it after him. Therefore I have not failed to fulfill it. He has not even read what I had said. (he told me). He has made a Hippocratic statement. For he has made a study in his case, from Australia.
He says that he is winning because I don't have a link. Tell me this. If a lawyer is reading his case but doesn't have a link, does he lose the round? No, It only takes up space and the link is unnecessary. Tell me, do you click on the link? If he wants the link I'd give him it. But guess what, no one does. Therefore the need fore one is unnecessary. He has failed to fulfill mine, save for one. Stating, I am winning is unprofessional. Not saying to ignore him, stating it in the same manner hat one points out a fallacy. If he does not understand this, then he does not have the right to refute what he does not know.

Provide the link. I believe my case is stronger, and touches points his doesn't. Therefore, you must vote Pro.

I do not provide points that the pro does. He has also committed a black and white fallacy. "Therefore you must vote pro". Also a dicto simplicitor. Stating a solution without any reasoning to back it up. Therefore he has undermined the process of debate entirely. I have tried to get the link, but they prefer not to show others there info any more. They are entitled to there unalienable right not to be forced to provide info. We must respect that.