HermanGomez95
A.Henry

Resolve: Are the LGBT and African-American Civil Rights Movements similar?

HermanGomez95

HermanGomez95

Pro

This debate addresses a controversial standpoint on the LGBT Civil Rights movements. In the past few years, many people have equated our movement with that of the Black Civil Rights movement. When people do so, a debate almost instantaneously begins. Because of this, I’ve decided to formally debate the issue. I’ll be taking the Pro stance, asserting that the two are extremely similar in nature. Since this debate is dealing with such a nuanced topic, the BOP must be shared.

Round 1 is acceptance, Round 2 is opening arguments, Round 3 is rebuttals, and Round 4 is closing statements.

Let’s keep this civil but impassioned!

A.Henry

Con

I accept the debate.
HermanGomez95

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for accepting this debate! My apologies for taking this long to post my opening statements.

Before I begin, I’d like to clarify that this addresses the Civil Rights movements starting in the 60s. Slavery is, and will always be, one of the largest genocides in history, and there is no way any American Civil Rights movement can compare to that.

Now to the topic at hand.

The LGBT Civil Rights Movement shares more DNA with the Black Rights Movement that people know. The issue here is that most people think the LGBT Civil Rights movement only relates to marriage. That is wrong. For nearly two decades, we were fighting for the right to be homosexual. I’d like to remind people that until 1962, homosexuality was illegal in the United States. That was changed when Illinois dismantled the ban that year. However, the rest of country took at least 9 years to do the same. Texas didn’t until 2003. Beyond that, if one were to look at the protests, the courtroom drama, and the overall effect on two minorities of society, the civil rights movements are indeed quite similar. The idea behind it is at all has to deal with the government not recognizing the basic human rights of it’s people.

I’ll further dive into these topics in the next round. Until then, I turn the debate over to my opponent!

A.Henry

Con

A.Henry forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Pro

Since my opponent was unable to post arguments for the last round, I"ll extend all arguments I"ve made, giving him a fair chance. I hope everything is okay with him and I look forward to the final round!
A.Henry

Con

A.Henry forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Pro

My opponent has failed at honoring the debate. Therefore, I urge you to vote Pro for this debate.
A.Henry

Con

A.Henry forfeited this round.
Posted by HermanGomez95 1 year ago
HermanGomez95
Kasmic is quite correct in hid definition... and has also reminded me that I erroneously stated the BoP must be shared in this case. To any future voters, please ignore the "shared BoP" statement. It's fully on me!
Posted by kasmic 1 year ago
kasmic
BOP is Burden of Proof. When someone makes an "assertion" or claim, it is their responsibility to provide "warrant" or proof for the claim. If I claim dogs are better than cats, it then becomes my burden to warrant that claim. I must show evidence why, as opposed to someone else having to prove me wrong.

If I do not provide this evidence or proof, it is what's called a bare assertion. Meaning the burden of proof is left unfilled. Typically in debates pro has the burden of proof and must meet that burden to win the debate.

in this case pro must provide evidence or proof to support the claim that the two movements are similar.
Posted by Sarra 1 year ago
Sarra
Pro - what does BOP stand for?
Vote Placed by Unbelievable.Time 1 year ago
Unbelievable.Time
HermanGomez95A.HenryTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff