Resolve: Cyberbullying should be a criminal offense

I believe that cyberbullying shouldnot be a criminal offense because in most cases children and or adults are just being plain out STUPID. I think this "offender" should be punished to the minimal agree at first attempt and the punishment should be severe enough to make them realize what is happening to them to cause this. They could maybe get placed into a simple sort of rehabillitaion center until doctors and or specialists are center of this.......

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for allowing me to participate in this debate.
Now, while I do agree that the person being bullied is stupid because it's easy to just leave, I don't think that is an excuse to cyberbully someone. My opponent has provided no reasons why she thinks cyberbullying should not be a criminal offense other than stating that the person being bullied is stupid. This, however, is not a very good excuse to bully someone. I intend to show why cyberbullying SHOULD be a criminal offense.

First some definitions.
Bullying - to treat abusively
to affect by means of force or coercion
Coercing - to restrain or dominate by force
Cyber - of, relating to, or involving computers or computer networks
Crime - an act or the commission of an act that is forbidden or the omission of a duty that is commanded by a public law and that makes the offender liable to punishment by that law
Offense - an infraction of law
Felony - a grave crime formerly differing from a misdemeanor under English common law by involving forfeiture in addition to any other punishmentAll of these definitions can be found here:

The first reason that cyberbullying should be a criminal offense is as follows. Bullying is already an offense in 44 states (, so why shouldn't cyberbullying be an offense. It's just as bad if not worse. Think about it, with regular bullying, the person being harassed has to see the person harassing them. They can give a description, and the perpetrator can be punished. A restraining order can also be filed. With cyberbullying, a person could be harassed from across the country. While it's possible to trace the messages back to their source, the perpetrator could be long gone, or they could have used a public computer. Also, there can't be a restraining order because the person can be well outside the limits of the order, and still harass someone.

Next, harassment, a major part of bullying, is a crime. Therefore, bullying is a crime, and by default, cyberbullying should be a crime. Depending on the severity of harassment, it can be a gross misdemeanor, or even a felony. Now, a felony, by definition, is a grave crime. This is not good. That's why being a convicted felon can limit job opportunities, and in cases like sexual HARASSMENT, limit where you can live. Clearly, harassment is a huge crime, and because harassment is a part of bullying, I don't need specific sources to show that bullying is a crime. Since bullying is a crime, and cyberbullying is just bullying on the computer, cyberbullying should be a crime. Therefore, the act of cyberbullying should be a criminal offense.

Finally, cyber bullying should be a criminal offense because it is inhumane. Everyone has heard of cases where people have killed themselves because they were being cyberbullied. This cannot go unpunished. The perpetrator has essentially murdered a person when this happens, and should be dealt with accordingly. There is no way to say that someone who engages in cyberbullying has good intentions. They want to make the person miserable, maybe not kill them, but make them miserable none the less. My opponent cannot possibly say that it is okay to drive someone to suicide, so how can they say that it is okay to cyberbully.
I rest my case until I get a response.

Once again, thank you tink1017 for allowing me to partake in this debate.

Vote Pro to stop the abuse.
Vote Con for death and despair.

cyberbullying should not be a criminal offense because if petite items like this were considered a criminal offense than everything else to that minority would also receive criminal offenses to be logically fair.... some states are in aggrement with me BECAUSE they have not passed particular laws to substain this criminal offense. Everyone needs to get a grip on reality and face the difficulties and when the going gets tough talk it out...

VOTE CON: for the right to make mistakes
Vote Pro: for everything to fall to pieces.

First of all, I would like to say that I have clearly won this debate already because Con has dropped ALL of my arguments. Do to this fact, it is safe to guess that my opponent has accepted all of my arguments, and can't refute them.

Next, I want to point out that when voting, I should get the points for conduct since my opponent has displayed poor conduct. She has introduced a new argument half way through the debate. What she SHOULD have done is respond to my arguments.

Now, cyberbullying is not a "petite" offense. I have searched three sources, and all definitions of petite refer to women. I will use a better word. How about minor? So, if cyberbullying truly were a minor offense, then it wouldn't lead to mental issues, misery, and death. Bullying(a.k.a. cyberbullying) may not have any specific laws in some states(most DO have laws on bullying), but it is a direct violation to the United States constitution(all clues have pointed to this debate being in reference to US law). The US constitution guarantees EVERYONE the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In fact, these are not only rights guaranteed by the US government, they are GOD GIVEN. So, bullying is not only a violation of law in most states, it violates the rights guaranteed in the constitution, and it violates God.
Now, even if cyberbullying were a minor offense, it being illegal would NOT make all minor "things" a criminal offense. Most people have heard this before LIFE IS NOT FAIR! Therefore, we don't have to make everything an offense. Now, here's a challenge for my opponent. Can you name at least 5 minor "things" that would be "have" to be a criminal offense if cyberbullying automatically became a criminal offense in every state? If you can, you MIGHT ( a BIG might) have a small argument.
Some states not having bullying/cyberbullying as a criminal offense hardly supports my opponent. Here's why. 44 states have bullying as an offense, or have proposed it as an offense, and 30 states include electronic harassment(includes cyberbullying as far as I'm concerned). Most states, therefore, are in agreement with me, and it doesn't matter if 6 states agree with my opponent because the vastly overwhelming majority agree with me. I'd also like to point out that you don't create a law in a day, there could be plans to discuss making bullying a criminal offense, and the law just hasn't been proposed yet. So, for all we know, all states COULD be in agreement with me. We know that the reverse cannot be true for my opponent.
Essentially my opponent has said to suck it up when someone is making your life miserable and driving you to suicide. How sadistic can a human possibly be? Now my opponent has said that you should talk it out. This is not always possible. Ever heard of post traumatic stress disorder? Shell shock? Soldier's heart? They are all things that occur when a person becomes extremely terrified. The three terms I used refer to different wars, but the point is the same. These occurrences couldn't be talked out of it. They are affected FOREVER. You cannot always "talk it out".

Cyberbullying is not a mistake. A mistake is taking a wrong turn or accidentally saying something embarrassing about someone. In both instances what has been done can be undone. In psychological cases, effects are permanent. Intentional bullying is NO MISTAKE! The perpetrator is intentionally making the life of another human miserable. This cannot be allowed. A person is embarrassing or harassing someone over and over is not a mistake. If you accidentally do something bad, and apologize for it, then there is no punishment. THAT would be a mistake, but over and over? No.

Finally, outlawing cyberbullying permanently wouldn't make everything fall to pieces, it would make things better. Less people would commit suicide, they would be happier, and the God given rights listed in the constitution would be left intact.

I extend all of my previous arguments since none of them have been argued.

FYI: I'm kind of sorry that I was able to spend so many characters rebutting one paragraph. This is because I should have had more to rebut, and I should have had to defend my arguments, but no. Con was unable to do anything other then post one measly new argument.

Vote Pro to stop the abuse.
Vote Con for death and despair.

tink1017 forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has not posted an argument, I will let my last statements from R2 act as my closing statements. For this round, I will end the debate by giving my opinion of a vote breakdown.

Agree Before - That is a matter of opinion, and your choice.
Agree After - That is also a matter of opinion, and your choice.
Better Conduct - Me because my opponent made a new argument late in the debate, and they forfeited their final round.
Spelling and Grammar - Me, I used word and my opponent has 4 errors whereas I have only one.
Convincing Arguments - Me, my opponent didn't refute a single argument of mine, and even went so far as to post new ones in place, which I swiftly dismantled
Better sources - Me, my opponent didn't use any sources.

Just remember, this is my opinion. The choice is always yours.

Thank you for reading this debate.

Vote Pro to stop the abuse.
Vote Con for death and despair.
Posted by blackhawk1331 5 years ago
Still waiting for a response. :(
Posted by m93samman 5 years ago
Vote Placed by alfredowp95 5 years ago