HermanGomez95
TrumpBiden2016

Resolve: Does being against homosexuality make you a bigot?

HermanGomez95

HermanGomez95

Pro

Having failed at attempting this debate earlier (my opponent and I had some confusion as to which side I was arguing.) I’ve re-tailored it to be more precise and focused.

This debate has been created to challenge the assertion that being against homosexuality does not make a person a bigot. Having the misfortune to read that statement in countless posts from my conservative friends on Facebook, I finally decided I should formally create a debate for this.

This debate will be shared BoP with both sides having to attempt to prove why a person is or is not a bigot when they are against homosexuality. I will be taking the PRO stance of the argument, meaning that I believe that anyone who is against homosexuality is a bigot. Con will take the opposing stance .

The debate rounds are structured as follows.

ROUND 1: Challenge period and definitions

ROUND 2: Opening Arguments (No rebuttals)

ROUND 3: Arguments and Rebuttals

ROUND 4: Arguments and Rebuttals

ROUND 5: Closing Statements (No new arguments.)

If you have any questions or concerns, I suggest you take to the comments and voice them. Do the same if you wish to challenge my definitions.

Definitions:

Bigot: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance (merriam-webster)

Discrimination: the practice of unfairly treating a person or group of people differently from other people or groups of people. (merriam-webster)

Civil Rights: the nonpolitical rights of a citizen; especially : the rights of personal liberty guaranteed to United States citizens by the 13th and 14th amendments to the Constitution and by acts of Congress. (merriam-webster)

TrumpBiden2016

Con

HermanGomez95

Pro

Sorry for the delayed response… I’ve been very busy, and didn’t find time to create sufficient arguments.
However, I will, nonetheless, outline my general arguments for this debate.
Since Con has accepted all of my definitions, I’ll use them as such:
People who do not accept homosexuality condone anti-homosexual practices such as bans on gay marriage and bans on gay adoption. Acts of that nature, violating our basic human rights, is discriminatory. Anyone who condones/supports open discrimination is a bigot.
To put it more simply: Bigotry is an act of extreme intolerance. It is one thing to not condone something one doesn’t understand, however it’s another thing to support action that actively works to undermine something (as in the case for anyone against gay marriage). Therefore, people who actively support the denial of basic civil rights towards gay people are showing extreme intolerance towards gay people, and should consequently be labeled bigots.
In the next few rounds, I’ll go further into this assertion, while attempting to refute my opponents counterarguments. With my opening statements complete, I turn the debate over to my opponent! Let’s have a fun debate!
TrumpBiden2016

Con

TrumpBiden2016 forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Pro

Since my opponent has failed to post arguments for this round, I’ll simply extend any assertions I claimed in my opening statements. I look forward to the next round!

TrumpBiden2016

Con

TrumpBiden2016 forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Pro

my opponent has, again, failed to post arguments for this round.
TrumpBiden2016

Con

TrumpBiden2016 forfeited this round.
HermanGomez95

Pro

My opponant has failed to honor his commitment in this debate. He has even gone as far as to not post any sufficient arguments. Therefore, I implore you to elect me as the winner. It's a shame this debate had to go to wast.
TrumpBiden2016

Con

TrumpBiden2016 forfeited this round.
Posted by sadolite 2 years ago
sadolite
If you can't oppose the behavior of homosexuality and not be a bigot then you can't oppose any behavior without being a bigot, Simple as that.
Vote Placed by Sarra 2 years ago
Sarra
HermanGomez95TrumpBiden2016Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Prior position: I believe someone being against homosexuality is not enough information to determine whether that individual is a bigot. Awww... I was looking forward to this debate, but Con forfeited. Due to the forfeit, Pro showed better conduct and more convincing arguments.