Resolved: A just government should provide health care to its citizens.

This debate follows National Forensics League LD format. If you are not familiar with it, do not accept this debate!

Voting guideleines will be presented at the bottom. I will try to keep this under 2,000 characters so I can fit my speech in. Formatting will be similar to time, but 1 minute = 1,000 characters. Debaters will be expected to copy+paste speeches into MS Word and provide a word count at the bottom of the speech in order to verify to the judges that the speeches are legal.

Character Limits by Speech:

R1: Terms of debate

R2: AC (aff. constructive) : 6,000 characters

Cross-examination in comments given by negative, questioning aff. Character limit is 1,500 for both the asker and the answerer. This will be done in Q then A then Q then A format until asker hits limit.

NC/NR (neg. constructive/neg. rebuttal) : 7,000 characters.

Cross-ex in comments by aff, questioning neg.

R3: 1AR (first aff rebuttal) : 4,000 characters.

2NR (2 neg rebuttal) : 6,000 characters.

R4: 2AR (second aff rebuttal) : 3,000 characters.

Voting Guidelines:

will be tied, unless one debater goes over their character limit. If this is the case, that debater shall not be given the conduct points. If both debaters go over the limit, the one that did not go over as much shall be given the conduct points. This is determined by number of characters over the limit, not the number of speeches that went over.

Spelling and Grammar
shall be given to whoever does a better job in the cross-examination. If one voter is found guilty of breeching the principles of debate theory, the S&G points shall be given to the other voter, regardless of performance during cross-examination.

Arguments shall be given to whichever side won the debate.

Sources shall be given to whichever side presents better sources.

This debate is currently not acceptable. Comment here or PM me in order to let me know you are serious about this. This is a series of debates that I am going to be starting in order to further my skills in this form of debate before competing next year.

I am happy to accept this topic and look forward to my first debate. Thank you for the opportunity.

Kwhite7298 forfeited this round.

Well first off, I'd like to start by defining government and healthcare. (1)
: the act or process of governing; specifically : authoritative direction or control
2obsolete : moral conduct or behavior : discretion
3a : the office, authority, or function of governing
b obsolete : the term during which a governing official holds office
4:the continuous exercise of authority over and the performance of functions for a political unit : rule
5a : the organization, machinery, or agency through which a political unit exercises authority and performs functions and which is usually classified according to the distribution of power within it
b : the complex of political institutions, laws, and customs through which the function of governing is carried out
6: the body of persons that constitutes the governing authority of a political unit or organization: as
a : the officials comprising the governing body of a political unit and constituting the organization as an active agency
b capitalized : the executive branch of the United States federal government
c capitalized : a small group of persons holding simultaneously the principal political executive offices of a nation or other political unit and being responsible for the direction and supervision of public affairs: : such a group in a parliamentary system constituted by the cabinet or by the ministry: administration 4b

Healthcare: efforts made to maintain or restore health especially by trained and licensed professionals "usually hyphenated when used attributively.

Fist, I would like to start by saying that nowhere in the definition of government does it say it's the government's job to provide for healthcare. I would also like to point out that governments throughout history have never been entirely responsible for the healthcare of it's citizens. Healthcare should be left to the private market. Keeping government in charge of healthcare would cost up to half a trillion dollars of taxpayer dollars (2). I would aslo like to point out from Forbes that according to their statistic, one in four patients come under some form of harm on their visit to the doctor. If healthcare was kept in the hands of the private market, it would cost less taxpayer dollars and because of natural competition, there would be a higher degree of care. Vote Con.

As this debate was not supposed to be acceptable, please do not vote on it. Thanks!

As Pro stated, if someone posted in the comments, it could be debatable. I did so, therefore, I complied with his terms.

"This debate is currently not acceptable. Comment here or PM me in order to let me know you are serious about this. This is a series of debates that I am going to be starting in order to further my skills in this form of debate before competing next year. "

I did not say that posting in comments allows you to accept this debate. I said that if you wish to accept, you should comment or PM me. The link between commenting and accepting the debate was to be set by me and me only, and accepting this debate was not fair.

If you would like to debate this resolution later I would be glad to but unfortunately I do not have the time right now to do such a thing. Additionally, if you would prefer the pro side instead of con or would rather stick to con please let me know. I would be glad to have a debate with you but not right now.

Well if you didn't have the time, you shouldn't have started the debate, and you should allow people to message you. Also, if you didn't want people to accept it, you should have put restrictions on who could accept.
Posted by Juris_Naturalis 3 years ago
I would like to accept.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Kind of a fail debate... Con did not obey the posted word count rule, and accepted the debate without authorization; pro forfeited a round, and set an odd rule about conduct not reflecting conduct. I do wonder what the actual limitations on accepting the debate were.