BlazingSleet
mackoman_93

Resolved: A shot glass is a cup

BlazingSleet

Con

I will allow my opponent to decide the framework of this debate, and whether or not he would like to go first. Post what you want to do in the comment section so I can adjust the debate if need be
mackoman_93

Pro

I thank my opponent for this… rather obscure, but interesting topic. Pointless as it may seem on the surface, this debate has a lot more controversy underneath than what initially meets the eye.

David Zarefsky, professor of argumentation and logic at Northwestern University says that argumentation can only take place under conditions in which both opposing sides are speaking the same language. What he means by this is that both sides must be debating about the same thing. Since my opponent has deferred to me the responsibility of "decide the framework of this debate" I must provide the language, under which this debate must occur.

In providing the language and frame work, it is important to set firm guide lines for the debate. The definition of cup, "a small, open container made of china, glass, metal, etc., usually having a handle and used chiefly as a receptable from which to drink tea, soup, etc." This definition does NOT attempt to ADD or TAKE AWAY any connotation to the word "cup". The definition it's self, provided by, [ http://dictionary.reference.com... ] absorbs ALL representations of a cup including shot glasses, mugs, wine glasses, in addition to that which is conventionally referred to as a cup and many more. The inclusive and appropriate qualities of this definition are the reason why it is to be the standard for the term "cup" within the debate.

Additionally, the term glass is defined as "object used for drinking liquids" according to [ http://thesaurus.com...|]. Along with the definition of glass a few synonyms we provided, of which included: bottle, chalice, CUP, decanter, goblet and many others.

In this debate, it will boil down to the fact that it simply isn't logical to assert that a shot glass is anything other than a cup, primarily because it is not. Consider the following:

A GLASS IS A CUP. Take for example, a glass cup… http://img.alibaba.com... or http://174.123.135.195/uploads05/23/Y/drinkware295287059.JPG

One argument that the con could make is that one takes a SHOT from a shot glass and one DRINKS form a cup. This argument can be summed in, IF one takes a shot from a shot glass and one drinks from a cup, THEN a shot glass is not a cup. However, this sub-premise does not logically differentiate a glass and a cup. One can also take a shot from a SHOT CUP. For example, http://www.webstaurantstore.com... . The position that my opponent has voluntarily taken is NOT logical or reasonable. Thus, I urge you to vote in affirmation of the resolution Resolved: A shot glass is a cup.

Thank you
BlazingSleet

Con

BlazingSleet forfeited this round.
mackoman_93

Pro

mackoman_93 forfeited this round.
BlazingSleet

Con

So... my opponent's account has been banned and he no longer exists... Therefore, the only outcomes that can logically result from this debate is that it becomes invalidated by no one voting (therefore making it a tie) or that I win by default. As such, anyone following this debate should not vote or should vote for me, given that my opponent has broken the terms and conditions of Debate.org and has now been banned.
mackoman_93

Pro

mackoman_93 forfeited this round.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
I'm finished with this resolution forever. I finished competing at State, and my LD career is thus over.
Vote Placed by JustSydney 7 years ago
JustSydney
BlazingSleetmackoman_93Tied
Vote Placed by rockiesfan4ever 7 years ago
rockiesfan4ever
BlazingSleetmackoman_93Tied