Deathbeforedishonour
LibertyCampbell

Resolved: Abortion should not be banned.

Deathbeforedishonour

Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Here is the challange like I stated I would write up.

First round for acceptance.

Good Luck!
LibertyCampbell

Con

Abortion will be defined as the intentional killing of a human being past the moment of fertilization, when the ovum becomes a zygote.
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Greetings, I will be affirming the resolution that Abortion should be available to all women on demand. I will be using three contentions. The first being that women have full self-ownership, and the other that the fetus is merely a perasite when it is in then the woman's womb without permission, and finally that a fetus is not even human.

First off, we must define the terms:

Abortion-Also called voluntary abortion. the removal of an embryo orfetus from the uterus in order to end a pregnancy [1].

Fetus- the unborn young from the end of the eighth week after conception to the moment of birth, as distinguished from the earlier embryo [2].

Contention 1: Self-Ownership
Women have the right to there own bodies. It doesn't mater if a fetus is human being or not it is woman's body. Politicians have no say in what a woman does with her body. It is a natural right for people to own there bodies and to say that a women can't do with it as she pleases is wrong.

Contention 2: Self-Defense
When a woman has sex there is no guarantee of pregnancy, and not every woman wants to be pregnant at that time. If a fetus/embryo forms in the woman's body without her permission and causing her to get sick and stealing nutrients from her, then this is aggression. The fetus is vioating the host and causing harm. It may not be intentionally but it still is doing harm.

Contention 3: Fetus/Embryos are not persons.

While the nature of a fetus maybe that of a human it is not and should not be considered to be a person. Susan Sherwen once stated in an article for 'Perspectives for Canadians':

"Persons . . . are members of a social community that shapes and values them, and personhood must be defined in terms of interactions and relationships with others."

It is not a rational and conscious being. Therefore, it can't be granted the same rights that we would grant to a person. Also, a fetus is not capable of holding a conscious desire to even continue living. This means it is very much meaningless to speak about the "murder" of a fetus. Murder implies the unlawful killing of a person that has a conscious desire to continue living. Therefore, a woman's rights ultimately triumph over that of a fetus no matter what the case.

To deny a woman an abortion is to deny then there basic rights. To violate a woman's right to the inner confines of her body is a injustice that should not be allowed. After all unless the woman actually lets the fetus use her body and clames it as her own, then the fetus is an aggressor to woman and to deny abortion then would not only deny self-ownership but also deny the right to self-defense. And finally a fetus should not be granted the same rights because it is not a person.

~~Sources~~

1.http://dictionary.reference.com...

2.http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

3.Susan Sherwin. 1999. Ethical Issues: Perspectives for Canadians. Ed. Soifer, Eldon. Peterborough, Ontario: Broadview Press, p. 267
LibertyCampbell

Con

To my dismay, I have put this off far too long. I had figured I'd be able to write up the argument by four, giving me plenty of time to construct and figure it to my liking, but it seems that now I have 11 minutes and 22 seconds to complete some sort of bogus reply. So I'l have to ask voters to give Pro conduct points and have him extend his arguments to the next round, as to which I'll hopefully get around to writing up my argument without procrastinating too badly.

I apologize.
Deathbeforedishonour

Pro

Arguments extended.
LibertyCampbell

Con

LibertyCampbell forfeited this round.
LibertyCampbell

Con

LibertyCampbell forfeited this round.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
Damn
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 5 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
Wait till round 2. :D
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
lol
Vote Placed by ScottyDouglas 5 years ago
ScottyDouglas
DeathbeforedishonourLibertyCampbellTied
Vote Placed by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
DeathbeforedishonourLibertyCampbellTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments automatically go to Pro since Con never brought a counter-argument or attempted to refute Pro's case. Sources also go to Pro for using them to support his case; Con never used any. Conduct also goes for the multiple forfeits by Con.