The_Devils_Advocate
NOK_Domination

Resolved: Affirmative action should be practiced in college admissions.

NOK_Domination

The_Devils_Advocate

Pro

To my esteemed NOK_Domination,
I would like to wish you luck in this round and hope this will be a good debate round. I would like to thank the judges, and I hope to be a good opponent. With that I shall begin.
Affirmative action should be practiced in college admissions. But to better understand why, we must first understand what affirmative action actually is. Affirmative action is a policy or policies of governments and other institutions that are designed to actively promote and advance the status and the social and occupational participation of groups of people designated by sex, ethnicity or other shared characteristics. This means that it helps those who are otherwise discriminated against.
Now let's discuss how affirmative action works in America today. The ultimate end goal of AA is to have the same percentage (if not more) of minorities in institutions of higher learning, workplaces, etc... than that of the populace. This means that if forty percent of the populace were white female, forty percent of our college's populace should be white female. As it is, this is not true. This means, that affirmative action should be practiced in today's colleges.
With that out of the way, we are free to look at the benefits of affirmative action. Minorities increase diversity. Hopefully I don't have to explain or provide evidence for this claim. With the increase in diversity, test scores increase http://www.nytimes.com.... So if affirmative action is practiced, our students become smarter and do better on tests. As our ex president George Bush said "Is our student's learning?" Apparently he went to an all white male private school.
Not only is it beneficial, but it is empirically supported throughout american history. Our nation has always been one to accept others from different racial, sexual, or physical backgrounds. This should naturally extend into college admissions. To do otherwise would be anti-american.
For these reasons, affirmative action should be practiced in college admissions. Thank you very much NOK_Domination, and I wish you luck in the future rounds.
NOK_Domination

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

1) My opponent states:

"Affirmative action is a policy or policies of governments and other institutions that are designed to actively promote and advance the status and the social and occupational participation of groups of people designated by sex, ethnicity or other shared characteristics"

Firstly AA is a governmental policy (set of policies in the U.S.) that would be forced upon the institutions of learning. Yes the institutions may practice it, but perhaps only by force. Institutions do not make their own affirmative action standards, since this would make the job of the institutions admissions staff harder. That is simply something I wanted to point out.
Far more importantly: Is it the governments place to "advance the status" of different groups of people? It is impossible to advance an entire group of people. There are people throughout America that are poor and wealth does not associate with a group of people. There are white families just as poor as black families. There are Hispanic families just as rich as Asian families. Wealth won't find you because you're white. Poverty will not find you because you are black. Status comes from the amount of work the person puts in to his or her life. We have an African-American president, the highest of all jobs, and there are white people living poorer than dirt. No government cannot advance a people, regardless of how hard they may try. If they give the advantage to a minority, then is that minority going to work as hard as a majority vying for the same position? One can make the case that AA actually sets back minority groups.

Opponent then states:
"This means that it helps those who are otherwise discriminated against."

In no way or form can it be shown that minorities are discriminated against as a whole.

2) Opponent states:
"The ultimate end goal of AA is to have the same percentage (if not more) of minorities in institutions of higher learning, workplaces, etc... than that of the populace."

How is this fair to the majority. You are saying that a person more deserving of admissions may not get in because the university is forced to accept its quota of minorities. That is racism. How can we implement something that tries to destroy racism when it's racist itself. That makes no sense.

3) My opponent believes diversity increases test scores. Please discredit his belief and his source since the article is on economic diversity being practiced, not racial and sexual diversity. He also quotes our former president. I'm assuming George W. Bush, since there are about 290 million Americans willing to criticize the man for anything from the economy to the bad weather they're having today. He also blamed his poor grammatical selection of words by blaming that on his schooling. That is laughable considering he is a graduate from Yale. If he would like to compare Yale's test scores to that of a more "diverse" school I would be more than fine with it.

4) People of many different backgrounds are accepted in our society. Giving them a free entrance to college because of their background does not give them "acceptance" into society. How can it be fair for a person with higher scores to not get in because AA requires a minority to get in, regardless of the inferior test scores. America has long been the land of opportunity, but AA removes opportunity from those who deserve it. Implementation is anti-American.

I'll end this round with a quote from MLK:
"Judge me not by the color of my skin, but by the content of my character"
Minorities don't want to be judged by their skin, so why be insistent on doing so and implementing AA?
The_Devils_Advocate

Pro

The_Devils_Advocate forfeited this round.
NOK_Domination

Con

Please carry through all of my arguments.
The_Devils_Advocate

Pro

NOK_Domination

Con

Well my latest comment was supposed to be my last argument. So... Carry my arguments through.
Posted by NOK_Domination 7 years ago
NOK_Domination
It's unfortunate that the deadline slipped by. It was really shaping up to be a good debate. Best of luck the rest of the way.
Posted by NOK_Domination 7 years ago
NOK_Domination
Yea, I thought the 2 days, or whatever it was, went by really quick.
Posted by The_Devils_Advocate 7 years ago
The_Devils_Advocate
i was late for this round, so i forfeit. sorry. i didn't realize i was late until after i had posted it.
Vote Placed by Xie-Xijivuli 7 years ago
Xie-Xijivuli
The_Devils_AdvocateNOK_DominationTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
The_Devils_AdvocateNOK_DominationTied