mr_Debater1993
RationalMadman

Resolved: Age does not matter in a relationship

RationalMadman

mr_Debater1993

Con

I will prove that age does matter in a relationship. Should you accept this debate the rule will be as follows:

R1) Acceptance
R2) Arguments/Rebuttal
R3) Arguments/Rebuttal
R4) Arguments/Rebuttal/Conclusion
RationalMadman

Pro

Proposed definitions.

Age[1]: the length of time that a person has lived or a thing has existed.

Matter[2]: be important or significant.

Relationship[3]: the mutual dealings, connections, or feelings that existbetween two entities.

[1] http://oxforddictionaries.com...
[2] http://oxforddictionaries.com...
[3] http://dictionary.reference.com...
mr_Debater1993

Con

Age: a period of human life, measured by years from birth, usually marked by a certain stage or degree of mental or physical development and involving legal responsibility and capacity. http://dictionary.reference.com...

Matter: be important or significant. http://oxforddictionaries.com...

Relationship: an emotional and sexual association between two people. http://oxforddictionaries.com...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>My Argument<<<<<<<<<<<<

My first argument will be centered on teenage relationships. Many teenagers are engage in relationships thinking that they are old enough to be responsible, think that they are at a stage or degree of mental or physical development. But unfortunately they are not for teenage relationships tend to leads to:

Unplanned pregnancy and abortion

Teenagers often find themselves in positions they did not planned for. Many a times they get pregnant at an age they did not planned for and this is because teenagers are not ready for relationships. Not only that but it is basically due to their age. They are not responsible enough as teenagers, they tend to have sex loosely. This is based on the fact they are only for the pleasure and they are surprised and began to panic when pregnancy comes into the picture. Why? It due to the fact they did not plan for it. At that age, teenagers use fewer condoms [1]. Not only that when they become pregnant most times they are not financially stable to take care of the child hence abortion is prevalent among teenagers [2]. The rates of pregnancy among teenagers are significantly dominant [3]. And this is due to the age. Teenagers tend to be irresponsible in their acts. And most times they cannot deal with the issues and consequences related to teenage pregnancy. I am not saying that unplanned pregnancy and abortion does not happen between other age groups, but it is significantly dominant among teenagers and there are plethora of reasons others than what I have already cited. Based on this fact it can be argued that age does have importance in a relationship.

Increase in spreading of Sexual Transmitted Infections

Sexual activities among teenagers contribute significantly to the increase of the spreading of STIs and this is also due to the fact that condoms use if not prevalent. Studies have shown the high rate of sexual transmitted infections among teenagers [4]. Teenagers are not mentally developed to understand the implication of sex, yet they get entangled in sexual activities more and more. Teenagers do not think before they act but act before they think. I am not saying that STIs does not spread among other age groups but it is significantly dominant among te

1. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org...

2. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org...

3. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org...

4. http://www.cdc.gov...

RationalMadman

Pro

That's a nice string of copy and paste you have there. Most enlightening indeed.

Let me reiterate the definition of a relationship then the definition of sexual intercourse so you understand the complete and utter difference between them.

Relationship: an emotional and sexual association between two people.

Sexual intercourse[1]: sexual contact between individuals involving penetration, especially the insertion of a man’s erect penis into a woman’s vagina, typically culminating in orgasm and the ejaculation of semen.

There are far more forms of sexual association than penetration (if you need me to go into detail I shall next round). The issue isn't that teenagers are having relationships; the issue at hand is their education as to what safe sex is. Now, considering young people learn faster than adults[2], it would only be right to see that the error is in our lack of educating them, not in them having a relationship in itself.

STI transmission is related to safe sex too.

Education isn't relevant to age, in fact young people learn faster than adult so in conclusion your debate stands false.

[1] http://oxforddictionaries.com...
[2] http://news.softpedia.com...
mr_Debater1993

Con

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rebuttal<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I thank my opponent for his interesting arguments.

My opponent I did not copy and paste anything. Is my argument that good to be true that you have to ASSUME that I copied and pasted? All I stated was from the top of my head and that’s because I am a teenager so I know what is happening at my age. I would like you to prove to the audience that I copied and pasted. I will personally give you a million dollars if you do. The reason why the rest of point 2 was incomplete was that I wrote it in Microsoft Word so it did not copy properly.

It is evident that my opponent under the influence of ignorance misinterpreted my point. My opponent, in his intends to defend his argument states that The issue isn't that teenagers are having relationships; the issue at hand is their education as to what safe sex is.My opponent, my argument states and let me repeat teenage relationships tend to leads to.” I am taking about the effects of relationships and the issue is indeed that teenagers are having relationships. It is less likely to prove that a person who has never being in a relationship before has contracted a STI or get pregnant. My opponent, my point is that relationships are the MEDIUM through which teenagers have sex. I did not say that sexual intercourse (penetration) was the only sexual association. However, other sexual association, for example oral sex can also leads to the spreading of STIs. You also state that it would only be right to see that the error is in our lack of educating them, not in them having a relationship in itself. You claim that lack of educating them is the problem but where is the proof that they are not being educated? Research has been done that prove the opposite of your statement [1]. Do you think that teenagers just have relationship like that? Most teenagers engage in relationships mostly for the pleasure which involves sex. At that age most teenagers are not thinking about committed or long term relationship. They are undergoing changes in their development physically and their sexual urges tend to rise. So engaging in relationships is the medium to which they explore their sexual fantasies especially since they are influenced by the media. Some females mature very early and older men and boys are attracted to them at a time when the girls do not have yet the social maturity to deal with these advances placing them at high risk for unwanted pregnancies and sexual transmitted diseases [2]. Now how will this be possible if no relationship is involved? When these young girl’s mature bodies attract these men and boys it then lead to relationship which then leads to sex. Furthermore, relationships go lower than just teenagers. My opponent, I failed to see the relevance about how teenagers learn in defending your argument. So my opponent your argument have little or no justification. Therefore you have not proved that my debate stands false.

>>>>>>>>>>>>My Argument<<<<<<<<<<<

Teenagers are not psychologically developed enough to deal with some of the implication of a relationship. Most times teenagers demonstrate violence and abuse to their partners and this tend to have multiple effects [3]. Teenagers are not able to adequately demonstrate maturity in their relationships, hence they get jealous easily, they are quick to jump to conclusions and they tend to be unfaithful. My argument is not based on the fact that these things happen but how they deal with is what I am defending. Most teenagers are not mature enough to deal with these issues hence violence and abuse comes into play. And this is not healthy for either of the partners. They tend to deal with it in the wrong way. In spite of their cognitive development in terms of their ability to reasoning logically teenagers still needs external guidance [4]. The level of maturity of judgment in terms of maturity may drop during mid-teen [5]. Gone are they the days that you can predict how a person should basically act due to their age. Now it is evident that you see varying behavioral patterns among teenagers which is proportional to their level of maturity. So based on those facts, it can be concluded that age does have significance in a relationship.

1. http://www.cdc.gov...
  2. http://www.apa.org...
  3. http://www.cdc.gov...
  4. http://www.apa.org...
  5. http://www.apa.org...

RationalMadman

Pro

I think that intercourse is what you think a relationship is.

There is so much more to it.

There is no point in this argument if you refuse to realise that if you educate someone, they will learn. If they then choose to get std's or pregnant that's just stupid.

A relationship is about a strong emotional connection between two people, usually of the opposite genders, usually with the man earning and the woman caring for the domestic issues. There are however huge variants of the norm, and as you stated there are mindless relationships between the youth of today which involve having sex for no reason at a young age and ruining their lives but this attitude is not due to age, it's due to culture, lack of discipline and lack of genuine sex education. Why do you think that even in a developing country like India there are barely any teenage pregnancies (outside of slums) whilst in developed countries it's a major issue. It is because when you give people lack of discipline and too much freedom, the foolish ones use it wrongly, whilst the norm and wiser ones use it correctly. Thus, you are giving the rebels as your entire case, I think you are mistaken.
mr_Debater1993

Con

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rebuttal<<<<<<<<<<<<<

My opponent states “I think that intercourse is what you think relationship is.” It seems as if you continue to misinterpret my argument. I am not saying that intercourse is directly proportional to relationship. Nothing is wrong with relationship in itself, remember the resolution did not say that relationship is wrong but whether or not AGE has significance in a relationship. Up until this point you have not proven to me that age does not have significance.

You state that There are however huge variants of the norm, and as you stated there are mindless relationships between the youth of today which involve having sex for no reason at a young age and ruining their lives but this attitude is not due to age, it's due to culture, lack of discipline and lack of genuine sex education.” My opponent, whether it is a mindless relationship or not, it is still a relationship, you have prove in that statement that relationship is the medium through which youth of today have sex, and that is exactly my point. I would not necessarily say that they have sex for NO REASON, because there is a reason for doing everything. My opponent it is due to age, what evidence can you provide that it is not? Culture has nothing to do with it, because teenage pregnancy is high in India as well and this is due to early marriages in India [1]. In India persons are allowed to marry at a young AGE, as against to other countries. Many disciplined children also get caught in the same trap. Lack of discipline has nothing to do with. What if a young lady was lonely at and she invites her boyfriend over just to talk and keep her company. Eventually they start get closer and touching each other in places, by the time you know it they had sex. How do we know that either of the two was not disciplined? My opponent it is not indiscipline to have sex, but the age at which it is done is significant. Why? Because the girl could get pregnant and that was not a part of the plan being that they were not ready for a child(ren). I have already provided proof that teenagers are being educated but there is something you need to understand. You stated that “There is no point in this argument if you refuse to realize that if you educate someone, they will learn. If they then choose to get STD’s or pregnant that's just stupid.” Yes they will learn but application of what is learnt is different. I may learn that do not speak while someone else is speaking because it’s bad manners but applying what is learnt is totally different. I would not agree with you that if they chose to get pregnant that’s just stupid, because it’s not about choosing to get pregnant. The intention was just to have sex and that’s it. However, something went wrong and pregnancy came into the picture. Then they are too young to be parents because they are still going to school and not working so the girls most times drop out of school. But my argument is that if they were not in a relationship in the first place they would not have had sex. Look at it, when they are in a relationship they tend to want to have sex, nothing is wrong with having sex but doing it at a young age can lead to severe consequences. Compare a couple which both partners are above 25 years and working. Let us say they are in a relationship and they have sex and pregnancy came into the picture. They will be old enough to take care of the child, so do you see the difference? I am saying that due to the fact that partners tend to have sex when they are in a relationship one may argue that age does have significance in a relationship. You stated that “It is because when you give people lack of discipline and too much freedom, the foolish ones use it wrongly, whilst the norm and wiser ones use it correctly. Thus, you are giving the rebels as your entire case, I think you are mistaken. My opponent I would say that you are the one who is mistaken, it is not about being foolish or being wise because if you should understand one thing is that when that feeling and urge for sex come upon you it is hard to control, I am speaking based on experience so I should know. You cannot say it is foolish to have sex, for almost everybody would be foolish. For if you are saying that the foolish ones use their freedom wrongly and wrongly by having sex you are indeed mistaken. I have heard teenagers say that they are too young for a relationship; they will wait until they are in a position in terms of in a stable Job and are mature enough to deal with the implications of a relationship. And I believe due that statement, age does have significance in a relationship.

1. http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com...

RationalMadman

Pro

Can't be bothered
Posted by mr_Debater1993 4 years ago
mr_Debater1993
so Carslile are you saying to me that if a 10 years old wants to date a 4 years old nothing is wrong if the parents accepts it? notice too what you said "and they do everything right" however how can we measure the idea of doing "everything" right. In today's society it is highly likely that if a 13 years old and 18 years old are together that sex may come into the picture as against if both of them were never in a relationship in the first place. In today's society where there is a lot of immorality there is no guarantee that they will do everything right. Even if the parents approve look at it, the 18 year old will reason differently from the 13 year old, thus they will view things differently and that may pose a problem. By the way will you allow your 13 years old daughter to date a 40 years old man?
Posted by Carslile 4 years ago
Carslile
The con is assuming that the people in the relationship is doing what they are not suppoed to be doing. if a 13 year old goes out with an 18 year old and they do everything right then there should be no problem should the parents accept it
Posted by angrymen 4 years ago
angrymen
Isnt con just going to use a baby as an example? Also for anyone looking to accept con never defined relationship........... So you can say everyone has relationships.
Posted by Torvald 4 years ago
Torvald
Yes, the debate certainly does have markedly cliche arguments involved, and is not new. But considering that the Instigator is new, and the debate is still contentious, however overused, I awarded it a status as 'somewhat promising.'
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
Someone only needs to run a counterargument that it is emotional or intellectual maturity to undermine almost every argument (seeing as I imagine the paedophile point will come up) and run consequentialism.
Posted by Torvald 4 years ago
Torvald
If nobody else bites, I will in a few days. This is a somewhat promising topic.
Vote Placed by tvellalott 4 years ago
tvellalott
mr_Debater1993RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: You both suck. I would have awarded Pro arguments but his last round annoyed me.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
mr_Debater1993RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: CVB ATY
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
mr_Debater1993RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering Lal's vote
Vote Placed by AlextheYounga 4 years ago
AlextheYounga
mr_Debater1993RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's argument was ridiculous. Age DEFINITELY matters in a relationship.
Vote Placed by LaL36 4 years ago
LaL36
mr_Debater1993RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con convinced me. Wasn't good conduct of the pro to accuse the con of plagiarism without providing proof hence I gave the con better conduct.
Vote Placed by The_Chaos_Heart 4 years ago
The_Chaos_Heart
mr_Debater1993RationalMadmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con never truly refuted PRo's refutation, and never seem to address the fact that a relationship is more than simply having sex. Con never recognized that a relationship can and often do exist without sex, and instead, focused simply on one particular possible situation, with an incredibly narrow outlook on relationships. Therefore, arguments go to Pro. The fact that Con refused to recognize Pro's points, in favor of just repeating himself again, leads me to give conduct to Pro. Sources to Pro because I found them to be more reliable. Both had decent enough spelling and grammar that I think they tie there.