Resolved: America should elect Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Voting Period

Resolved: On balance, Americans should elect Hillary Clinton as President over her rival Donald J. Trump.

1. Acceptance only
2. Opening arguments
3. Rebuttals
4. Closing arguments/rebuttals

Should: Should implies that we have some obligation to do so on the basis of the evidence presented. As such, this will be based on a balancing of the pros and cons of each candidate. That balance makes this an on balance debate, meaning that neither of us have the burden of proof. [1]

Terms and Rules

1. No forfeits
2. Citations should be provided in the text of the debate
3. No new arguments in the final speeches
4. Observe good sportsmanship and act civilly/decorously in the debate
5. No trolling
6. No "kritiks" of the topic (challenging assumptions in the resolution)
7. My opponent accepts all definitions and waives his/her right to add resolutional definitions
8. The BOP is evenly shared
9. Follow the structure of the debate properly
11. Rebuttals of new points raised in an adversary's immediately preceding speech may be permissible at the judges' discretion even in the final round (debaters may debate such rebuttals' appropriateness)
12. Violation of any of these rules, or of any of the R1 set-up, merits a loss

Time: The time limit between replies is 72 hours. If special circumstances arise, one side may ask the other to wait out his or her remaining time. If one side explicitly concedes or violates any of these terms, then all seven points will be awarded to the other. By accepting this challenge, you agree to these terms.

Thanks to Cooldudebro for accepting this debate.

1. Thanks to whiteflame for providing the working definition of "should." (

I accept. Good luck.

Thanks again for debating this topic with me. I wish you the best of luck. I have very little time and I do apologize to my opponent. I will provide a brief summary of my opening arguments and present them in the next round, along with the rebuttals.

As this is an on balance debate, my job will be to evaluate both candidates and make a solid case as to why Clinton should be elected President over Donald Trump. In my opening statements, I will layout a positive case for Hillary Clinton as well as a negative case for Donald Trump. In order to properly evaluate the candidates, we have to do more than just say “Candidate X believes Y and thus will be a good/bad president.” Instead, we must look at the proposals that both candidates have made and their experience to determine who will make a better leader for this country.

My opening statements will look at economics, foreign policy, domestic policy, and the character of each candidate. These five things are necessary to give a proper evaluation of the candidates.

Again, I do apologize, I just don't want to forfeit the round and leave the debate in limbo.

I look forward to reading your opening statements.

Out of respect, I will wait for my opponent to begin their case to post my cases. I bought him as much time as possible.

I would like to thank my opponent for humbly waiving the last round. This is now effectively a two round debate. For my purposes and the purposes of the reader, the new structure is as follows:

R1. Acceptance
R2. Waive
R3. Opening arguments/Rebuttals.
R4. Rebuttals/Close

With that said, let's procede to my opening arguments.

1. Character

I'm going to begin with the overall character of the candidates. What type of person is Hillary Clinton? What type of person is Donald J. Trump? This question is important because the president should be someone who can remain calm under pressure, can lead the nation through intense and difficult times, and be prepared to act in a rational manner.

As Senator, Hillary Clinton has demonstrated an ability to work across party-lines. Although her health care reform plan failed, she was instrumental in passing the Children's Insurance Program (CHIP), which provides health care for over 8 million children in low-income families [1]. When 9/11 hit, she was on the front line to ensure that 9/11 first responders got the health care that they needed. As The Huffington Post recounts [2]:

"Months after she [Hillary Clinton] was elected, she made sure first responders got the care they needed, as many of them suffered long lasting health effects from their time at Ground Zero."

She has proven to have the ability to work across party lines. The Dallas Morning News, a traditional conservative newspaper that recently endorsed Clinton stated [3]:

"Though conservatives like to paint her as nakedly partisan, on Capitol Hill she gained respect from Republicans for working across the aisle: Two-thirds of her bills had GOP co-sponsors and included common ground with some of Congress' most conservative lawmakers"

On the other hand, Donald Trump has earned a reputation of being crass and unpredictable. He has insulted and mocked a disabled repoter [4] and attacked a Muslim gold-star family. The National Review, a conservative publication, wrote of this incident [5]:

"This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an eleven-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about ten years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied. He lives in a cocoon of solipsism where the world outside himself has value — indeed exists — only insofar as it sustains and inflates him."

How will Trump's extreme narcissism play out on the global stage? Even though he has no political or military experience, he arrogantly proclaimed that he knows more about ISIS than our generals do [6]. The thought of him ignoring the military's advice and guidance because "Fuhrer Trump knows best" will put the United States in harms way.

2. Economic policy

Donald Trump has proposed to start a trade war with Mexico, China, and various other countries. These trade wars will undoubtedly have unintended consequences. Experts and analysts estimate that such a trade war will cost the U.S. over 4 million jobs [7] and that doesn't include what would happen if the countries retaliate against the U.S.

Trump's economic plan has been called "impossible" and "reckless." Trump's proposal to balance the budget in 10 years without cutting Social Security or Medicare, ramp up defense spending, and cut over 9 trillion in taxes is impossible. As the Washington Post reports [8]:

"That can’t be done. It doesn’t matter what your hat says about America being great, your personal charisma, how rich you are, etc. As the figure below shows, you can’t get there from here. As noted, other Republicans promise similar packages, though their tax cuts are slightly less ambitious than Trump’s."

CNN reports [9]: "Trump has been clear that he thinks America is a loser on trade and that the U.S. needs to fight back against China, Mexico and others. There are concerns that the hefty tariffs he wants to put on goods coming to the U.S. from China and Mexico would cause a trade war in addition to make a lot of products more expensive for Americans."

By contrast, Hillary Clinton's proposed policies are far more pragmatic and realistic. She has called for increasing taxes on the wealthy, increase spending for job training, and give tax benefits to companies that hire Americans.

Consequently, economists are in a near agreement that Clinton's policies will be better. If she did nothing and just continued the current policies, it is estimated that we would add 7 million new jobs. With her policies, however, we would gain an additional 3 million [10].

3. Foreign policy

As Commander-in-Chief, the president, more than anyone, is directly responsible for our military and for our foreign policy.

Trump has proposed forcing the military to commit war crimes and crimes against humanity. He threatened to kill and torture the family members of terrorists. These would be crimes under the Geneva Convention [11]. If he succeeds in getting the military to carry out his attrocities, this will undoubtedly create even more terrorists.

Trump has also proposed building a "yooooge wall" along our southern border and making Mexico pay for it. How exactly will he force Mexico to pay for the "yooooge beautiful wall"? His policies are unclear. We can debate the merit of the wall if Con brings this up, but for now, I will leave this here.

Hillary Clinton, by contrast, has been one of the most consequential and successful Secretaries of State in US history. During the 2012 conflict between Israel and Hamas, she helped broker a peace deal between the two parties. This has earned her the praise of the Israeli ambassador, as Ha'aretz reports, "[B]ecause of the quick cease-fire, the eight-day conflict was the only one of Israel’s three rounds of fighting with Hamas to not include an Israeli ground operation in Gaza." [12]. Undoubtedly, a lot of lives were saved on both sides.

Clinton's foreign policy experience has proven that she understands the global stage and she has earned the respect of world leaders.

Hillary Clinton is undoubtedly the most prepared candidate for the Presidency. Her experience as First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State has prepared her to lead the nation forward. Her proposals and policies will be better for the United States than the policies of Donald Trump.

This November, the choice couldn't be clearer. Hillary Clinton should become the next President.

I now turn this debate over to con and wish him the best of luck. I look forward to hearing your opening arguments.

Check comments

We've agreed to tie the debate. Please do not vote.
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 weeks ago
Yes. Let's tie and restart this since there is no way I'll be able to rewrite my arguments in time.
Posted by ThinkBig 3 weeks ago
If necessary, do you want to tie this debate and restart it?
Posted by ThinkBig 3 weeks ago
Sounds good. Sorry to hear that. That's why I type my arguments in word.

Looking forward to your arguments
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 weeks ago
My whole argument just got deleted for some unknown reason. It said it saved. I will try my best to rewrite it with the time left.
Posted by ThinkBig 3 weeks ago
Just posted. Sorry for the delay again. Was having the HTML 500 error.
Posted by ThinkBig 3 weeks ago
I will have my arguments up later tonight or tomorrow. You didn't have to waive.
Posted by ILikePie5 4 weeks ago
Politicians are owned by lobbyists and special interests. How do you think NAFTA got passed? Donald Trump is the only one not owned by people that think of themselves before the welfare of the country. And a business man knows a lot about the economy. How do you think he became a billionaire and is friends with countless millionaires and billionaires?
Posted by tonyrobinson 4 weeks ago
"My opening statements will look at economics"
you have a self made billionaire versus a lifetime politician. Of course the politician understands the economy better, LOL.
Posted by fire_wings 4 weeks ago
Think always says he doesn't have time. That's his fault, he should rather just not debate.
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
Will post soon. Sorry for the delay.