oboeman
beem0r

Resolved: An ideal form of NCLB would be beneficial to the welfare of the United States.

oboeman

Pro

Greetings to my opponent, beem0r. And thanks to the judges and spectators enjoying this debate.

I stand in affirmation of the addressed resolution:

Definitions:
Ideal – adjective - conforming to an ultimate standard of perfection or excellence.
Beneficial – adjective - promoting or enhancing well-being.
Welfare – noun - well-being.

NCLB (No Child Left Behind Act) – proper noun – an act relating to education dealt with in 2001 in the United States of America. See the link immediately below for further detail. The goal of NCLB was to "help improve the academic achievement of all American students."
http://www.ed.gov...

The main objective of NCLB as addressed above is the most intrinsic part of what it means for something to be considered "NCLB."

An ideal form of NCLB would, as defined, work by "conforming to an ultimate standard of perfection or excellence."
Given that nothing is better than perfection in educational regards, it is logical to assume that such an ideal form would be the BEST form theoretically possible, under the account of all possible incorporated variables. As well, obviously, the goal would be fulfilled in its entirety, which must be a good/beneficial thing.
The reason an ideal form of NCLB would be beneficial? Increased education in the United States and improvement of academic achievement for all American students would boost the standing and reputation of the nation in the world, help to promote the health and prosperity of the country, and assist the exploration of the scientific frontier.

As well, increased education leads to an increased understanding of logical concepts, allowing one to think critically. Logical thinking is beneficial to the welfare of the United States, given that it promotes fundamental values that are vital to the well-being of the United States.

In such regards, an ideal form of NCLB would indeed be beneficial to the welfare of the United States.

Good luck to my opponent in this debate, and may the most logical argument compellingly prevail.
Oboeman.
beem0r

Con

Greetings. Good luck to my opponent and gratitude to those reading this.

I must negate the resolution. An ideal form of NCLB would NOT be beneficial to the welfare of the United States.

My opponent correctly notes that ideal indicates perfection. An ideal form of NCLB would therefore be perfect, having no flaws.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is impossible. There will always be a problem - fixing one problem often necessarily leads to the creation of a different problem. Real policies must perform a balancing act and decide which flaws are worth it and which are not - but that has nothing to do with this resolution. My opponent argues that an IDEAL form of NCLB would be beneficial to the welfare of the US. In being ideal, this hypothetical form of NCLB must necessarily have no flaws - else it would not be ideal. There is no policy that is both perfect and a form of NCLB.

Since an ideal form does not exist (see above), it would not cause any changes in the welfare of the United States.

Even so, let me move on to another argument.

Anything that is ideal or perfect must only be helpful and not hurtful. My opponent has assumed, without backing himself up, that being beneficial to the welfare of the United States is a good thing. I negate this sentiment. The United States is an irresponsible country. It doesn't follow environmental guidelines, it starts wars, it polices the world unnecessarily, and it unnecessarily polices the lives of its inhabitants (for instance, by stopping them from growing certain types of plants or from performing certain acts for money in private) etc. Empowering the United States, being beneficial to its welfare, this would not signal change. What the United States needs is to be pressed, to have its welfare reduced so much that it starts to actually question how it conducts itself in the world and domestically. Thus, any ideal plan would work against the United States rather than for it, whether this plan was a form of NCLB or not.
Being beneficial to the welfare of the United States is not a positive thing. It is detrimental, it is a flaw in a plan. It is not something that an ideal plan would do. Thus, if an ideal plan existed, it is certain that it would NOT be beneficial to the welfare of the United States.
oboeman

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate challenge as a part of this debating tournament.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is impossible. There will always be a problem - fixing one problem often necessarily leads to the creation of a different problem."

Perhaps my opponent is not quite grasping the concept of an ideal. An ideal form of NCLB would HAVE no problems; hence why it is ideal. I see no reason to consider an ideal form of NCLB impossible. An ideal form would take into account everything necessary, analyzing, balancing, and checking its flaws, in order to be the best conceivable plan there can be. A form of NCLB must only follows the original objective addressed of NCLB: "help improve the academic achievement of all American students."

"The United States is an irresponsible country. It doesn't follow environmental guidelines, it starts wars, it polices the world unnecessarily, and it unnecessarily polices the lives of its inhabitants (for instance, by stopping them from growing certain types of plants or from performing certain acts for money in private) etc...What the United States needs is to be pressed, to have its welfare reduced so much that it starts to actually question how it conducts itself in the world and domestically. Thus, any ideal plan would work against the United States rather than for it, whether this plan was a form of NCLB or not."

Again, an ideal form of NCLB would "help improve the academic achievement of all American students." Thus, helping to improve the academic achievement of all American students, as the resolution implies, would be beneficial to the welfare of the United States. Further, helping to improve the academic achievement of all American students would be promoting or enhancing the well-being of the well-being of the United States.
I would like to point out that any of the irresponsible aspects of the United States as mentioned by my opponent focus on policy and ethical problems rather than education reform. The ethics and policy guidelines set by this nation are clear: a better education for future generations helps to improve world standing, sustainability, and a further understanding of learning and gathering of knowledge. The reverse, as suggested by my opponent, would, well, do the inverse of the goals for education in the United States. Even symbolically it would fail. There is little problem in ethicality regarding whether better education is indeed good.

Thanks, and I await the next round of this debate.
beem0r

Con

beem0r forfeited this round.
oboeman

Pro

Allllrighty then.
Extend all arguments, and I look forward to the remaining debate.
beem0r

Con

I forfeit this round, as I did the previous one. I don't have the time necessary for this tournament.
Good luck to my opponent in the future rounds.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
oboemanbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by LaSalle 7 years ago
LaSalle
oboemanbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
oboemanbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
oboemanbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
oboemanbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
oboemanbeem0rTied