Susie123456
Alice123456

Resolved: Assisted Suicide should be legal in the United States

Susie123456

Con

Many a times people are diagnosed with a terminal illness or cancer. Brittany Maynard was one of these people. She was diagnosed with glioblastoma, stage 4 and she was given 6 months to live. CNN reports that she said, "I've had the medication for weeks. I am not suicidal. If I were, I would have consumed that medication long ago. I do not want to die. But I am dying. And I want to die on my own terms," Brittany planned to die on November 1, but postponed it to November 2. On that day she ended her life.
Assisted suicide should not be legal in the United States.
I don't believe assisted suicide should be legalized anywhere. I believe the Brittany gave up too soon. Think of all that Stephen Hawking did, even after he was diagnosed with ALS. He didn't give up, and now he's still living at age 73. Think of all Brittany Maynard might have done. She was just newly wed, and yet she still decided that she wanted to make everyone around her suffer, just so she didn't have to.
Alice123456

Pro

In the United States, we believe that our Government should not be run like a church. We have specific rights, Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. These three so well known rights listed in the deceleration of independence may have moral association, but beyond that, we do not force opinions or principles upon anyone. We have the freedom to believe and express that belief. As we go about debating this topic, we must remember that we are not determining whether it is moral or not. Simply that it is legal. We are determining whether assisted suicide fits into one of those three basic rights. Of course, the obvious choice is life. Let's say assisted suicide should be illegal because it robs us of one of our rights. Yet this argument is weak. In America, we prohibit others from inflicting upon our rights, yet since when did we prohibit taking our rights away from ourselves? Liberty. People drink alcohol. They start an addiction, and soon they can't live without the things they are addicted to. They rob themselves of liberty. It's not illegal to drink alcohol. The pursuit of happiness. Many people do stupid things like, lets say, skip almost all of high school. They aren't able to make enough money to be happy. They rob themselves of their right to pursue happiness. It's not illegal to skip high school. Until assisted suicide influences someone to inflict upon someone Else's rights, it should be legal. And not letting a family member die because you love them so much is not a right in the United States.

My opponent talks about all that Brittany Maynard might have done, in comparison to Steven Hawking. Yet I must remind her that Steven was not given six months to live. Brittany was dying, slowly but surely, and though there is a small chance she might've survived longer than six months, she wouldn't have been able to do much because of her serious condition. When a horse is in pain people kill it, and not be insensitive, but they kill because 1to put it out of it's misery and 2because a severely injured horse cannot serve it's purpose.

Would you want to die quickly or slowly? But, none of this all matters. We are talking about opinions that have already been resolved in the constitution and declaration. We have rights, and assisted suicide does not conflict with them, and that is all that matters when talking about legal and illegal things.
Susie123456

Con

Susie123456 forfeited this round.
Alice123456

Pro

Alice123456 forfeited this round.
Susie123456

Con

Susie123456 forfeited this round.
Alice123456

Pro

Alice123456 forfeited this round.