snelld7
asiansarentnerdy

Resolved: Being gay is a learned behavior

Con Tied Pro

snelld7

Con

My side will be that people are born gay opposed to it being a learned behavior. Any takers?
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

Being born gay is not an instinct. You are not born with the thought of loving your mother, for example. You love her because of the fact that she cares for you when you are hurt, calms you when you are angry. Love is acquired first through the process of friendship, and as you develop a strong trust and bond between yourself, then you begin to love. Any type of love is formed this way, whether it is gay love or straight love. Love is an acquired behavior, not an instinct, as love cannot be taught. If two people of the same sex meet each other and after getting to know each other slowly develop feelings for each other, then they begin to feel love. You can't fall in love with a person of the same sex once you meet them, which further supports my argument that love is an acquired behavior.
snelld7

Con

I have broken the arguments into numbers for further clarification.

1)Loving is not sexuality. If a man has another loving relationship with a man, that does not make him gay. It's actually a normal occurance. Men are allowed to be emotionaly attached to other males. For instance, Father-Son relationships, brotherly love, and even best friend relationships.

When you step over emotional feelings and go towards physical attraction, that is when the term "homosexual" is in use. One can not control who he is sexually attracted to. For instance, if I wasn't born attracted to elephants or dogs, I can not make myself sexually attracted to them. I could make myself have sex with them (GOD FORBID!!!), but not make myself be sexually attracted to them.

2) Why would so many people decide to lead a life of being blatantly disrespected, oppressed, and descriminated against if they could choose to be the opposite? They wouldn't....
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

Okay, I will make my responses to your arguments in number format just like yours.

1) Just because you are sexually attracted to someone, does not nessicarily mean that you love them. Also, the term homosexual is not used to describe people who are physically attracted to each other. It is when you have strong emotional feelings toward each other that it would be considered homosexual. And about your claim that men are allowed to be attracted to each other, they are. But you wouldn't fall into love with someone that's in your family, or your closest friend, would you? That would be wrong morally, and cases like these are very rare. (an example would be like me falling in love with my mother. That's not gay, but morally wrong.)

2) And yes, people choose to live a life of "being blatantly disrespected, oppressed, and descriminated against" because they want to. People like Harvey Milk, who truly believe what they stand up for, are not afraid to show their true feelings toward each other. Many notable people were hated on because of their beliefs, like Nelson Mandela. They could choose to be straight, but they truly love people of the same sex so they don't want to. It would be like giving up my teddy bear and instead going for a Chris Brown CD so I wouldn't be embarassed by my teddy bear. If I truly and deeply loved my teddy bear, I wouldn't care what anyone else said. I would just stand up for my cause.
(oh by the way, the teddy bear was an example.)
snelld7

Con

"I didn't wake up one day and say 'Hey lets be gay' I grew up fighting the fact that I was gay because I didnt want people to tease me for it" ~ Rosie O'Donnell

Argument 1) Emotinal attraction does not declare homosexuality.

Males loving males IS not what declares homosexuality. For example, If I love my father...does that make me gay? Of course not! If two best friends (of the same sex) love each other, does that declare them homosexual? Of course not! It is when these two friends (of the same sex) take a step forward into the physical attraction relm and decide to kiss/touch each other that we then declare them homosexual. You're arguing that there's a difference between loving, and being in love. Lets use examples in other emotions or states:
-Is there a difference between hating someone and being in hate?
-Liking someone and being in like?
-Being lazy or being in a state of laziness?
Love is love! The only difference that seperates the two is what you do physically!!
=======> Back to homosexuality. The only thing that would declare homosexuality in the 2 best friends loving each other, would be what they decide to do physically.

You can not choose who you are sexually attracted to just as you can't choose to be a boy or a girl. For example, I could make myself have sex with animals (GOD FORBID) but I couldn't make myself sexually attracted to animals, I would have to have been born with the sexual attractiion towards them.

[Just because you are sexually attracted to someone, does not nessicarily mean that you love them]

I'm not accepting the love argument. You have to prove it to me in a different way with something a bit more tangible.

Argument 2) What i'm saying is, is that if people are not born gay and they can choose. Why would someone choose a lifestyle of oppression and descrimination when everything they could want (since you say they can choose then they are equaly as happy with both sides) is on the other side, plus they would have acception and applause.

For example, Why would you choose to go to hell to get some ice cream and some pizza, if the exact same pizza and the exact same ice cream is in heaven? YOU WOULDN'T.
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

1) Back to the love argument....as I previously stated, you love your family members WITH A DIFFERENT KIND OF LOVE than a love that you would show to someone who you might be marrying in the future. And just because two men do something physically together to show their love does not declare homosexuality. What about back in the old days, when it was considered highly unethical to sleep with someone before you were married? You would show your love in other different ways, be devoted to each other not physically, but emotionally like taking them out on a date or bringing them flowers, etc. If two men were in love with each other, that already makes you homosexual. If a guy kisses a guy, yes, that would be considered homosexual, but he HAD to be attracted to him first before or else he would have no impulse at all to kiss another guy of the same sex. It is the emotional attraction that declares whether or not you are homosexual. See, according to you, you are homosexual ONLY if you physically show that. Well, what if a guy has sex with another guy but is attracted to girls? That wouldn't make him homosexual, because he has no emotional attraction to other men.

2) And for this argument, you made no response to my previous argument so I'll post it again.
People like Harvey Milk, who truly believe what they stand up for, are not afraid to show their true feelings toward each other. Many notable people were hated on because of their beliefs, like Nelson Mandela. They could choose to be straight, but they truly love people of the same sex so they don't want to. It would be like giving up my teddy bear and instead going for a Chris Brown CD so I wouldn't be embarassed by my teddy bear. If I truly and deeply loved my teddy bear, I wouldn't care what anyone else said. I would just stand up for my cause.
Posted by snelld7 7 years ago
snelld7
That's how we learned killing 2 right? By all of the killing on tv.....

Homosexuality hasn't been around longer than TV's huh?
Posted by younstownsoldier 7 years ago
younstownsoldier
gayness is learned through all this homo-friendly stuff we have on tv
Posted by asiansarentnerdy 7 years ago
asiansarentnerdy
To Yraelz: Sure, you can start a debate and then challenge me to it. Sorry for the late response, but I havn't checked this debate in quite a while.
Posted by Yraelz 7 years ago
Yraelz
Hey Asian, would you be interested in debating this again. I'd love to do it with you if you're up to it?
Posted by asiansarentnerdy 7 years ago
asiansarentnerdy
hehe its okay :)
Posted by snelld7 7 years ago
snelld7
lol I'm sorry!!!
Posted by asiansarentnerdy 7 years ago
asiansarentnerdy
ahh if your talking about me i'm a girl!!!
Posted by snelld7 7 years ago
snelld7
Agree with JackTorrance...I'll respond to his argument against love later today around 10 30-11
Posted by JackTorrance 7 years ago
JackTorrance
I personally think an argument about love is pretty pointless. Scientists can't even back up all the reasons for why people love other people. It can't be argued for or against that gay people are born gay.
Posted by snelld7 7 years ago
snelld7
Ya
Vote Placed by Justinisthecrazy 7 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by dragonfire1414 7 years ago
dragonfire1414
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by younstownsoldier 7 years ago
younstownsoldier
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by snelld7 7 years ago
snelld7
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by Metz 7 years ago
Metz
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by MewxVenus 7 years ago
MewxVenus
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied
Vote Placed by Diebold 7 years ago
Diebold
snelld7asiansarentnerdyTied