imabench
Kashmead

Resolved: 'Black friday' is RACIST AS SH!T

imabench

imabench

Pro

I am arguing that Black Friday is indeed very very racist, con will argue that it is not racist.

First round acceptance only

Prepare your anus
Kashmead

Con

I accept and i brought my own vaseline :)
imabench

Pro

1) The practice of black friday

'Black' Friday is the day where people trample one another for all kinds of pricey gifts in stores like hooligans who have no regard for the well being of others and get away with gifts no where near what they are actually worth..... If that doesnt sound like any store in New Orleans being raided by black people after Hurricane Katrina, I DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

2) Similarities between both 'Black's'

Lets look at some of the things associated with Black Friday and Blacks in general

Black Friday:
- Terrifying
- Expensive things almost being free
- Shopping like theres no tomorrow
- Stores that have it always chaotic

Blacks:
- Terrifying (to white people)
- Looting items in stores like they are free (New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, LA after the Rodney King Verdict, DC after Obama was elected)
- Looting like theres no tomorrow (Again, N.O. after Katrina, LA after Rodney King, DC after Obama)
- Cities that have them always chaotic

The 'Black' in Black Friday has many negative connotations about it that is clearly secretly aimed at black people....

3) Why go with Black Friday?

If you wanted to name a day of the year something to indicate when prices on everything imaginable would drop to record lows, there are a lot of other things you could call such a day other then 'Black Friday'......

Here are some other things it could have been called:

Capitalism Day!
F*ck Communism Day! (Liek the first one, but more with a Middle Finger aimed as Communism)
Day After Thanksgiving Sale!
Wallet Relief Day!
Christmas Wish List Day!
Winter is Coming Sale! (<----------- My personal favorite)
Chinese low-wage worker appreciation day (Since they make all the expensive sh** on sale on this day)

Point is, they could have named the Black Friday just about anything else and it would have been great. But noOoOoOoOo, they went with BLACK FRIDAY instead......

Why? Because people are racist as sh** thats why.... They thought it would be funny to name a day where everything goes on sale 'Black Friday' because those racist sh**heads thought that blacks STILL wouldnt be able to afford all the stuff on sale, even though the holiday was named after them.....

And that is why Black Friday is racist as sh*t.
Kashmead

Con

To ignore the obvious and further this argument because I assume it will be entertaining I will ignore the fact that sh!t or poop as I will now refer to it as is not racist at all.
From the wise words of Tar!3; Gomi "Everyone poops." the word everyone here includes all races and yes, this does include the pandas from world of warcraft.

Now I do not believe black Friday is racist for a few reasons.

Shopping has long been the realm of the stay at home mom. year after year, story after story, there is always a video of so called "soccer moms" demolishing their competition on black Friday. the most unlikely of creatures becomes a predator and will stop at nothing until she catches her prey.

Now that we have decided the hooligans of black Friday are the soccer moms, lets dissect your view of black Friday prices.
"get away with gifts at nowhere near what they're worth" this statement is false. Black Friday does not insinuate stores losing money. though a stores profit per item may go down, they never sell anything for a loss.

I will skate around the new Orleans point because that's a little far I believe.

under similarities,
-The reason black Friday is terrifying is because it is the day women can expel their pent up anger in something they enjoy. again the terrifying soccer mom is the reason this holiday is at all untame.
-Expensive things are not almost free, they are generally less than 50% off and are not even remotely free.
-shopping and looting are literally two different words. the only noticeable similarity lies in saying "like there's no tomorrow"

I for one think the day has an overall positive connotation. women get to leave the monotony of the kitchen and driving their mini vans back and forth between soccer practices to shop for gifts for their masters.. err.. I mean husbands, as well as this day ensures the beneficiaries receive ample reward for their hard earned cash. Men work very hard and if their wasn't a day that they could sleep while their wives doubled their spending money than what would be the point of living in this world?

Therefore naming a clearly positive day after the black delegation is quite obviously an honor and I for one am riddled with jealousy.

*I concede to you one point, Chinese low-wage worker appreciation day, this is literally the perfect name for the Friday after thanksgiving.*
imabench

Pro

"Now that we have decided the hooligans of black Friday are the soccer moms"

LOL, have you ever even SEEN people in a Best Buy or a Gamestop on Black Friday? Soccer moms are most certainly not the entire makeup of Black Friday shoppers.... Gamers, teens, young dudes in their 20's-30's also make up a heavy proportion of Black Friday shoppers.

""get away with gifts at nowhere near what they're worth" this statement is false. Black Friday does not insinuate stores losing money. though a stores profit per item may go down, they never sell anything for a loss."

'get away with gifts at nowhere near what theyre worth' does not imply that stores are losing money, it implies that a ton of things are put on sale way below what they are actually worth.... Im saying that the things on sale on Black Friday are sold for prices way lower then what you would expect to pay for those same things on any other day of the year.

"I will skate around the new Orleans point because that's a little far I believe."

Ill count that as a concession.

"The reason black Friday is terrifying is because it is the day women can expel their pent up anger in something they enjoy"

They already have something to do that.... Its called reality television.

"Expensive things are not almost free, they are generally less than 50% off and are not even remotely free."

45% off of a PS4 certainly qualifies as almost free to anyone who really wants to buy one.

"Men work very hard and if their wasn't a day that they could sleep while their wives doubled their spending money than what would be the point of living in this world?"

Call me crazy, but women spending twice as much of a man's money while he sleeps doesnt sound like a good thing..... In fact it sounds quite terrible. Like putting honey on your nuts and then sitting on an ant hill......
Kashmead

Con

"LOL, have you ever even SEEN people in a Best Buy or a Gamestop on Black Friday? Soccer moms are most certainly not the entire makeup of Black Friday shoppers.... Gamers, teens, young dudes in their 20's-30's also make up a heavy proportion of Black Friday shoppers. "

there may be other people there, and best buy may have a disproportionately low amount of soccer moms, but the mother outnumbers them in nearly any other store and is always twice as voracious as others.

"hey already have something to do that.... Its called reality television."

There are two problems with this statement. the first problem is you believe reality television as a way to diffuse pent up anger. have you ever even been angry? watching these shows in no way shape or form is a release, and if i ever turn the tv on and see something like op repo or lizard lick towing i get even more angry at the audaciously annoying cast.
the second problem is that even if these passive aggressive scheming soccer moms scheming soccer moms were somehow releasing there anger on these shows, why does that imply they cannot do so anywhere else? it is obviously possible for people to have multiple outlets.

"45% off of a PS4 certainly qualifies as almost free to anyone who really wants to buy one. "

this example is preposterous. with you saying black friday is racist and comparing it to looting you are assuming blacks jump on these sales because they are poor. to someone who is poor a ps4 that is 45% off (> 200 dollars) is still massively expensive. and to say that 200 dollars qualifies as almost free is to alienate the majority of the public.

"Call me crazy, but women spending twice as much of a man's money while he sleeps doesnt sound like a good thing..... In fact it sounds quite terrible. Like putting honey on your nuts and then sitting on an ant hill......"

By wives doubling their spending money i was implying that they would by twice the amount they regularly could with their regularly given allowances that their gracious husbands so givingly allowed.
imabench

Pro

"the first problem is you believe reality television as a way to diffuse pent up anger. "

Sure it does! If your wife is mad at you, give her a glass of wine and let her catch up on 'The Bachelor/Bachlerette' and I guarantee she'll mellow out.

"have you ever even been angry? watching these shows in no way shape or form is a release"

Well it doesnt work for me because I dont have a vagina.

"with you saying black friday is racist and comparing it to looting you are assuming blacks jump on these sales because they are poor."

im not assuming it, Black Friday is, hence the name 'Black' Friday......

=======================================================================================

I contend that Black Friday is racist as sh** due to

1) The hidden connections between the qualities of black people and what Black Friday entails

Black Friday:
- Terrifying
- Expensive things almost being free
- Shopping like theres no tomorrow
- Stores that have it are always chaotic

Blacks:
- Terrifying (to white people)
- Cities that have them are always chaotic

and 2) There are many other better names they could have gone with for Black Friday, yet they chose to go with 'Black Friday' anyways. Why would they do that if it wasnt racist as sh**? Its because they ARE racist as sh** and Black Friday IS racist as sh**

I rest my case.
Kashmead

Con

again, just because you can defuse anger with a tv show (and alcohol) doesnt mean that is the only way to do it

Since blacks are poor they have an increasingly low ability to buy most products compared to, ie the discounted tvs that are around 200 and many other products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe black friday is not racist as sh!t because

1.) sh!t is not racist

2.) Since the most intense and terrifying shoppers are women, the relationship between the name black friday and the race of people is irrelevant because looting and buying at a discount are very different since most blacks,according to your argument, are poor and most people still cannot afford these dicounted prices.

p.s. this is my first debate so i copied your format through most of it. (obviously). Thanks for the fun debate!
Posted by toamatt26 3 years ago
toamatt26
I cant wait to go shopping on Chinese low-wage worker appreciation day!
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
Careful Stalin, you dont want to get your voting rights revoked a second time would you? ;)
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Fair enough! I suppose that's what I get for only scanning the debate.
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
@ IMAbench, I'd say probably both.
Posted by funwiththoughts 3 years ago
funwiththoughts
@imabench: In fairness, the racist/sexist arguments do get a bit too realistic at times, but I think the "masters... err I mean husbands" thing should have been a tip-off.
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
kbub, do you not know what a joke debate is, or are you just an idiot?
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Um, is it just me, or do both sides seem sexist and racist? Soccer moms? Black people steal stuff? Only black people stole stuff during the New Orleans hurricane?
Posted by MikeNH 3 years ago
MikeNH
Poe's law...
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
Do you not know what a joke debate is?
Posted by MikeNH 3 years ago
MikeNH
It's called black friday because in accounting black ink is used for positive numbers and red ink is used for negative numbers.. Don't you know the phrase "in the red" means financial losses? Black friday comes from the fact that companies actually make profits on this day...
Vote Placed by Yraelz 3 years ago
Yraelz
imabenchKashmeadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Welp I think imabench is drawing connections between the world "black" and "black people" which Con isn't paying attention to. Pro offers four reasons for why black friday is a connotation to cheap black people. Con offers no refutation on two of the point, thus I must give the arguments to Pro. The best line in this debate was, "hopping and looting are literally two different words".
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
imabenchKashmeadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Votebomb by Stalin. Ima made me sh!t my pants. He had better arguments. Ima had better spelling and grammar. Conduct is split.
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
imabenchKashmeadTied
Reasons for voting decision: im pretty sure Imabench won due to facts and stuff, but since I did not read this debate I will vote for awesomeness and happiness and trolling and the fact that the legitimacy of this debate is not a fallacy contrary to popular media and famous people and urge that do the following of which I didn't do to accomplish because that's just me