hghppjfan
lilly02468

Resolved: Boys make better friends than girls.

lilly02468

hghppjfan

Con

Hello,

Whoever picks me will actually help me because I have to do a debate about this at my debate enrichment. In both cases, I will argue that girls make better friends than boys. My opponent will say that boys are better friends than girls.
lilly02468

Pro

Boys make better friends than girls.
I believe that the statement above is true because boys are proven to cause less drama.
Girls commonly over think many things. A simple text of "I have to go" can mean many different things in their mind. "They think I'm too clingy", "They hate me", "I did something wrong and upset them" are some of the thoughts that go through their mind. Men see the surface of the statement: they just simply have to go. Girls easily get upset by these things and end up causing way too much drama for a friendship to handle. The boys will just look past this fact and move on.
hghppjfan

Con

Okay, early arguer, makes the rebuttals more fair.

Here are my thoughts when I looked at this (parentisis are notes to the audience and opponent):

Boys make better friends than girls.

A. Okay, she got what the debate what the debate was about (no offense. One time, I misunderstood what the debate was and I lost the arguement in a Friday debate class.)

A. List Away!

Girls commonly over think many things. A simple text of "I have to go" can mean many different things in their mind. "They think I'm too clingy", "They hate me", "I did something wrong and upset them" are some of the thoughts that go through their mind.

A. I am not a big texter, but when I do, I am not like that. Usually, its previous stress,the special hormones, or bullying that cause the extra questions.

Men see the surface of the statement: they just simply have to go.

A. That is because men are more calmer.

Girls easily get upset by these things and end up causing way too much drama for a friendship to handle.

A. Some people can.

The boys will just look past this fact and move on.

A. In general, you're right.

My arguement:

A. Girls are more caring than boys.
B. Girls mature earlier than boys
C. Girls solve problem, boys avoid them.
lilly02468

Pro

What you said in response to my agruement about men seeing the surface of a statement: "That is because men are more

calm" (calmer would be incorrect grammar, by the way) is what I am trying to say, men are calm so they will not over

react about things. If you got in a fight as girl to girl, your friendship would most likely be ruined for a long period of

time because girls over react. In a fight as boy to boy, pretty soon after you finish the argument, they will usually make

up or just forget about it and move on. Girls are known to hold a grudge and not move on for a long time.

You stated at the end of your rebuttal, "Girls solve problem, boys avoid them" (Girls solve problem is ALSO incorrect

grammar. It would be "Girls solve problems") That statement is incorrect. Not all girls solve their problems, in fact,

most of the time they create problems. Females tend to gossip which spreads and eventually comes around to "bite"

them.
hghppjfan

Con

What you said in response to my argument about men seeing the surface of a statement: "That is because men are more

A. That makes the point that girls care for themselves and the other person because normally, girls would not go into fights unless it was for protection.

them.

A. That statement is only for mean girls.

My last presentation:
What I don't understand about people is why they chose men as the best to be friends. What my opponent has yet to mention is that boys change their attitudes and fight a lot. Would you want to be in the middle of that?
lilly02468

Pro

My opponent stated in the previous argument that "boys change their attitude and fight a lot". I do not agree with this

at all. Boys do not change their attitude, in fact, they are known to be calm, cool, and collected while girls over react

and gossip (as I said before). If you were a girl, and had a friend who was a male, it is less likely that you will fight

with them than with your best girl friend. Boys often abide by the motto of "never hit girls" so even if you were to get in

a fight (which, like I said before, is unlikely) he would not harm you. It would be a cool exchange of words. My

opponent also stated that "girls care for themselves and the other person". This is sometimes true. They do care for

other people but on some occasions, they care just a little bit too much. I have noticed this happen with some of my

friends. Many times, a girl will point out your flaws, instead of your good qualities. This ends up hurting the other

person's feelings and ends up in a negative relationship that is not enjoyable.

In conclusion, boys make better friends than girls because they don't over react, hold grudges, or cause gossip. They

are fun to be around and won't cause drama. It's nice to have a guy friend that you can lean on instead of arguing

with the girls.

Spelling/Grammatical corrections:
Her last presentation, she stated chose. *choose
"men as the best to be friends" The sentence would flow better if you said "men as the best candidates to be friends"

Personal Note to Opponent:
Hi! It's been fun to debate with you, and I really like the topic you chose. It is very interesting and has good arguments for both sides. I am actually neutral on this subject and think that girls and boys both make good friends. Thank you for debating with me, I needed the practice because I just signed up for my debate club. Anyway, thanks and good bye!
Posted by One_Winged_Rook 4 years ago
One_Winged_Rook
The_Chaos_Heart... correct, no one SHOULD win the debate, but we should vote on who made better arguments regardless of who we agree with, or who is right.... and also things like spelling, grammar, and conduct
Posted by The_Chaos_Heart 4 years ago
The_Chaos_Heart
No one should really win this debate, because one one realized the following: How males and females act in relation to one another is not set in stone. A male can be just as "clingy" and "irrational" as a female, and vice versa. Neither side is strictly prohibited to a set of social conduct by biology. Therefore, neither males nor females can be a "better" friend based solely off of their sex, as their sex is not the determining factor in their behavior.
Posted by Spotchman 4 years ago
Spotchman
This is sort of vague. Are we talking about elementary school? Later in life? What if your opponent feels that boys and girls are equally valuable as friends?
Vote Placed by One_Winged_Rook 4 years ago
One_Winged_Rook
hghppjfanlilly02468Tied
Reasons for voting decision: PRO made more and better points, but for nitpicking about spelling and grammar, I think that's a bit coy, especially considering how much time you spent on it compared to the length of the debate, so I give the conduct point to CON
Vote Placed by shooterboss 4 years ago
shooterboss
hghppjfanlilly02468Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Good job on both sides. I was completely neutral to this topic before and after reading the arguments. Pro was true in his grammatical corrections, but I wish he had mentioned them more briefly. Con's "question and answer" format is certainly interesting, but some answers were too short. As a final note, many arguments on both sides were based on gender stereotypes, as true as some of them are.