untitled_entity
rougeagent21

Resolved: Capital Punishment is a beneficial policy

rougeagent21

untitled_entity

Con

I negate the resolution.

Capital Punishment : "Capital punishment, the death penalty or execution, is the killing of a person by judicial process for retribution, general deterrence, and incapacitation. Crimes that can result in a death penalty are known as capital crimes or capital offences."
http://en.wikipedia.org............

Beneficial : "something that promotes well-being"
http://www.merriam-webster.com............

Policy: "a definite course or method of action selected from among alternatives and in light of given conditions to guide and determine present and future decisions"

I'll defer to AFF for constructive.
rougeagent21

Pro

Today's resolution is affirmed for the following reasons:

==Popular demand==

http://www.heritage.org...
This graph shows the citizens' view of capital punishment.

==Incapacitation of the criminal==

Capital punishment permanently removes the worst criminals from society and should prove much safer for the rest of us than long term or permanent incarceration. It is self evident that dead criminals cannot commit any further crimes, either within prison or after escaping or being released from it.

==Cost==

Money is not an inexhaustible commodity. Anti-capital punishment campaigners in the U.S. cite the higher cost of executing someone over life in prison, but this, whilst true for America, has to do with the endless appeals and delays in carrying out death sentences that are allowed under the U.S. legal system where the average time spent on death row is over 12 years. In Britain in the 20th century, the average time in the condemned cell was from 3 to 8 weeks and only one appeal was permitted. It is MUCH more cost-effective to give someone a shot, buy a bullet, or run volts of electricity, than it is to feed and clothe the person for the rest of their lives. Given that prisons are funded by tax-payer dollars, it is a misuse of our money to not inflict capital punishment.

==Retribution==

Execution is a very real punishment. Rather than some form of "rehabilitative" treatment, the criminal is made to suffer in proportion to the offence. This is justice in its coldest, hardest form. Capital punishment justly uses lex talens reasoning, and has the benefits listed above and below.

==Deterrence==

Numerous studies published over the past few years, using panel data sets and sophisticated social science techniques, are demonstrating that the death penalty saves lives. Panel studies observe multiple units over several periods. The addition of multiple data collection points gives the results of capital punishment panel studies substantially more credibility than the results of studies that have only single before-and-after intervention measures. Further, the longitudinal nature of the panel data allows researchers to analyze the impact of the death penalty over time that cross-sectional data sets cannot address.

Using a panel data set of over 3,000 counties from 1977 to 1996, Professors Hashem Dezhbakhsh, Paul R. Rubin, and Joanna M. Shepherd of Emory University found that each execution, on average, results in 18 fewer murders. Using state-level panel data from 1960 to 2000, Professors Dezhbakhsh and Shepherd were able to compare the relationship between executions and murder incidents before, during, and after the U.S. Supreme Court's death penalty moratorium. They found that executions had a highly significant negative relationship with murder incidents. Additionally, the implementation of state moratoria is associated with the increased incidence of murders.

Separately, Professor Shepherd's analysis of monthly data from 1977 to 1999 found three important findings.

First, each execution, on average, is associated with three fewer murders. The deterred murders included both crimes of passion and murders by intimates.

Second, executions deter the murder of whites and African–Americans. Each execution prevents the murder of one white person, 1.5 African–Americans, and 0.5 persons of other races.

Third, shorter waits on death row are associated with increased deterrence. For each additional 2.75-year reduction in the death row wait until execution, one murder is deterred.

There are now several reasons on the table for my opponent to address. Voters, I would like you to keep the following in mind throughout the debate: "To whom is capital punishment beneficial?" We can look at the benefits of the criminal, and we can look at the benefits of the law-abiding citizen. Which one do we want to reward?

If you want to reward the criminal, vote for the negative side.
untitled_entity

Con

untitled_entity forfeited this round.
rougeagent21

Pro

Extend all arguments.
untitled_entity

Con

Elie Wiesel once said, "I do not believe any civilized society should be at the service of death. I don't think it's human to become an agent of the Angel of Death."

There are multiple factors to be accounted for when deciding whether or not Capital Punishment is a beneficial policy. I negate the resolution that Capital Punishment is a beneficial policy and therefore believe that it is not beneficial and ultimately should not be practiced. I will introduce my argument first, then assess my opponent's.

First and foremost, lethal injection is much more expensive than life in prison. Executions cost about 2 million dollars per person whereas life in prison is about 500,000 dollars. Neither one is particularly preferable in terms of cost. However, executions are about four times more expensive than life in prison. In a time when the economy is in swift economic downturn it is necessary to do something that is not only efficient, but does not cost the tax - payer an arm and a leg.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

Second, death sentences are handed down arbitrarily, not in a fair manner. Serial killers such as the infamous Gary Ridgway in Seattle who admitted killing 48 prostitutes and runaways got life in prison. An "angel of death" nurse in NJ who admitted killing 17 people got life. Meanwhile, mentally ill and impoverished murderers who could not afford good lawyers and did not warrant much media attention were given the death penalty. In Alabama, David Hocker was executed after a one-day trial. Not only is this ridiculous it goes against the constitution. His mental illness was not sufficiently described to the jury. Alabama also executed a 74-year-old man (James Hubbard) who had been on DR for 27 years and was beset by medical problems which would have probably soon caused his death by natural means: cancer, high blood pressure and the early stages of Alzheimers. In Texas, a man with schizophrenia was executed (Kelsey Patterson) even after the Board of Pardons and Paroles recommended clemency after learning of his time spent in mental hospitals and his unintelligible rambling.

Third, the death penalty is not a deterrent of crime contrary to what many people believe, in fact crime rates have risen. In fact, the murder rate in the US is 6 times that of Britain and 5 times that of Australia. Neither country has the death penalty. Texas has twice the murder rate of Wisconsin, a state that doesn't have the death penalty. Texas and Oklahoma have historically executed the most number of death row inmates, yet in 2003 their state murder rates increased, and both have murder rates higher than the national average.
rougeagent21

Pro

rougeagent21 forfeited this round.
untitled_entity

Con

I have countered my opponent's points and proved that the Death Penalty is not actually a deterrent for crime. I think that this debate would have benefited from not having forfeited rounds and I am willing to debate my opponent again on the same topic.

I thank rogueagent for this debate and urge a negative ballot.
rougeagent21

Pro

My opponent has requested that I refrain from posting an argument as we will be doing this same debate this weekend. Please look for that debate. Hopefully there will be no forfeits in that debate. Thanks for reading!
Posted by Samanyha 5 years ago
Samanyha
The capital punishment is a questionable issue in the United States, one of the few primary countries that make use of the capital punishment. Regardless of the argument over whether the capital punishment should be used or not, states that make use of the capital punishment have to pay a lot for it. Here is the proof: Taxpayers foot hefty bill to have the death penalty
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
My apologies, I thought I had sourced that.
Posted by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
Rougeagent21,
You need to source your claims, especially when you copy verbatim from a website. Some of your information came from the Heritage Foundation which actually linked the studies. When you copy and paste, you need to let the voters, and your opponent, know so we track the information and read the studies. Heritage is a conservative think tank and informational bias may be present in the material. You did source your graph, but not the line for line copy presented later in your argument. If you are going to do this, please put quote marks up and link to the page. Plagiarism is an immediate conduct loss when I judge debates.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
Hopefully we can do this again.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
I like the topic certainly, but I think, without the forfeits, it could obviously be debated better. ;)

Personally, I'm very much a responsive communitarian, and I do believe that the justice system should be designed to help the victim involve the community, and 'repair the hole' so to speak, as opposed to merely punishing the criminal post-facto; so, obviously, I don't at all agree with the death penalty, since it serves no actual rehabilitative/repentance/reconciliation purposes.

But, as far as this actual debate is concerned, I think personally that you guys should focus less on economic arguments (since I don't think you can put a price on justice) and more on the moral/ethical impacts of the death penalty, and whether it actually helps to reduce crime, and actually gets justice for the victim/family of the victim, things like that.

Obviously you can't please all voters, but that's just what I would like to see there.
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
*slaps himself* Sorry about the forfeit. Now we're even!
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
When dealing with something as heavy as a person's life, how can you not take it seriously?
Posted by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
I changed it to 7... Don't comment if it makes you upset. No one takes e - debate that seriously.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
Especially with untilted_entity's reputation of having debates that are very quickly bombed.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
"The voting period will last 3 days."

No.
Vote Placed by TFranklin62 7 years ago
TFranklin62
untitled_entityrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
untitled_entityrougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Teucer32 7 years ago
Teucer32
untitled_entityrougeagent21Tied