Solomon_Grim
MDB

Resolved: Catholicism should not be considered a Christian denomination.

Solomon_Grim

Pro

I will be debating the idea that the Catholic chuch goes against the biblical description of Christianity and should be not considered a denomination of such.
MDB

Con

I accept your debate. I will be talking about how Catholic people should still be a Christian Denomination. I wish you luck!
Solomon_Grim

Pro

Solomon_Grim forfeited this round.
MDB

Con

Solomon Grim forfeited this round. Have a great day.
Solomon_Grim

Pro

Solomon_Grim forfeited this round.
MDB

Con

MDB forfeited this round.
Solomon_Grim

Pro

Solomon_Grim forfeited this round.
MDB

Con

MDB forfeited this round.
Solomon_Grim

Pro

Solomon_Grim forfeited this round.
MDB

Con

MDB forfeited this round.
Posted by Skynet 3 years ago
Skynet
The VERY first followers of Christ would have been Jewish since he mainly went to them, but Christ himself ministered to Samaritans, Greeks in the Decapolis on the other side of the Sea of Galilee, Roman soldiers (Centurian's daughter), and the Phoenician woman. Undoubtedly, there were others.
Posted by effimero89 3 years ago
effimero89
Oh I see, yes he is correct. Acts of the Apostles makes this clear. Naturally they would be all Jewish, I mean who else would it have been? I don't think many pagans were converting (at least willing). I had meant my statement to be taken very generally that the first people to really follow Christ and become an establish religion, was more or less the Catholic Church.
Posted by Skeptikitten 3 years ago
Skeptikitten
He means that technically the first Christians were converted Jews. It wasn't until Paul's ministry really picked up that they started preaching to gentiles, and the early Christians became organized (and thus more or less the Catholic church) after the first century CE.
Posted by effimero89 3 years ago
effimero89
What do you mean Jews were the first?
Posted by Kwhite7298 3 years ago
Kwhite7298
I would be glad to accept this if you can provide a definition of catholicism and christianity.
Posted by Nur-Ab-Sal 3 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
This is pretty funny.
Posted by martianshark 3 years ago
martianshark
He meant that the entire christian religion was originally Catholic.
Posted by EliAchphet 3 years ago
EliAchphet
No, the Jews were the first to become Christians. The Roman Catholics are gentiles.
Posted by effimero89 3 years ago
effimero89
You guys do understand that Catholics were the first Christians right? Protestants only exist because they didn't agree with the Catholics at the time and started their own version of Christianity.. Roman Catholics are the first people who followed Christ...
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
First you'd need to define denominational range, and what makes a christian. If I argued this, my stance on what a christian is (follower of Christ) would be valid, even while yours might also be valid. But I used to be friends with an atheist christian, and saw zero conflict to such.

Another side that could be taken to the argument, is that Christians should be considered a denomination of Catholicism... Anyway, I suggest defining a few terms to decrease potential trolling/schematics.