lannan13
teddy2013

Resolved: Cats rule the world.

teddy2013

lannan13

Pro

I would like to thank teddy2013 for accepting this debate. In this debate we will be debating the subject on weather or not cats rule the world. But first lets lay down some rules for this debate.
Rules
1st round is exceptance
No new arguments after round 3
Wikipeadia shall not be cited
No cussing
No forfieture
If any of the above points are violated then all 7 points go to the opposition.
teddy2013

Con

I accept, but with one stipulation. I believe we should be able to refer to pussycats, without violating the cussing rule. If agreed we can move to round two. If you do not agree, we can move to round two anyway, and I will no longer mention pussycats.
lannan13

Pro

Alrighty then lets get things rolling.
Cats rule the world by the cat poop parasite, or scientifically known as Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is formed by an infection in the cat's intestines and then it makes it's way into the cats poop. Even touching the places where the poop has been you get you infected. http://animal.discovery.com... And it has infected 22.5% of the US population that is 12 and older and 95% of the world! Those found with the parasite have a 1.5 chance of committing suicide. http://www.newser.com... and http://www.cbsnews.com.... It also infects ants and makes them stand on the edge of grass so birds will eat them and then it will infect the bird so it won't fly away when cats go after them.

Then there is Cat Scratch Disease which causes mild infection, swollen lymph nodes, fever and fatigue. Cryptosporidiosis causes fever, nausea, cramps, vomiting, and diharria. Hookworm causes intestinal bleeding, inflammation, and abdominal pains. (the link for these are at the bottom of this page titled 10 scary diseases pets can give you. http://www.cbsnews.com...)

I now await my opponents arguments.
teddy2013

Con

Staff Sergeant Allan (aka, lannan13), has proposed that cats rule the world due to their poop. I respectfully disagree, and contend that humans still rule the world, for the following three reasons.

1. Humans kill cats and then eat them, cats only eat us if we are already dead.

According to animalpeoplenews.org, "How many cats and dogs are eaten in Asia" , approximately 4 million cats per year are consumed by humans, in Asia alone. While it is true that cats eat dead people, they do not kill us first, cook us, add seasoning, and use utensils.

www.animalpeoplenews.org/03/9/dogs.catseatenAsia903.html

2. Humans rule the world until cats can drive, shop, and feed us.

Humans get in their vehicles, go to the store, pick out cat food, bring it home , decide when they are going to feed their cats, put the food in a bowel, and then fill another bowel with water.

Cats can not rule the world until they are capable of getting in their vehicles, going to the store, buying cereal for humans, bringing it home, deciding when they are going to feed us, putting the cereal in a bowel and adding milk.

3. Humans rule the world until cats decide when we die.

Recently a buddy of mine, decided to have his cat put down, instead of paying $300.00 for medicine.

Cats can not rule the world until they are in position, to decide on if humans should live or die. To date I know of no cats who make these end of life decisions for humans. However over 2.5 million cats are put down by humans each year.

"Importance of spray and neuter"
http://www.humanesocietyall.com...,
lannan13

Pro

Thank you, I would like to extend across all arguments, since teddy didn't touch on any of them. Now on to the debate.

1. Humans kill cats and cats only eat us if dead.
Teddy here is forgetting one thing and that is big cats. Here's a list of big cats: tiger, liger, lion, lepard, sabber tooth tiger, etc... http://www.thefreedictionary.com.... So lets look at some death tolls now. Big cats kill a total of 20 people and mall over 246 people in the US and now lets multiply that by other nations in the world. http://bigcatrescue.org... if there are 196 countries and multiply that by these numbers and we get 3,920 deaths and 48,216 maulings! But that is being very generous since the US is a developed nation and we aren't counting countries like Bangladesh who had a record high 50 deaths last year a record high and it is climbing since they are being forced out of their habitat. http://zeenews.india.com...

This is false. for many years and still today cats including both big cats and felines can easily hunt for themselves. It is just the fact that we have domesticated the house cat that we take care of them so much other wise you would have an animal like the badger running around and still being able to tend for itself.

I already refuted this in contention 1 and mixed with the deaths caused by cat diesseases like the cat poop parasite you already have the cats ruling the world. Then you have humans who can't get along. In the words of Thomas Malthus he states that humans are evil creaters who rape kill and destroy everything, and after our many years of existance we have had only 300 years of no conflict.

teddy2013

Con

Thank you Staff Sergeant Allan for your arguments. I spent round 2, submitting evidence as to why humans still rule the world. I will use this round to counter Staff Sergeant Allan’s initial argument, as well as present further proof of humans domination over cats.

1. The Poop Argument Just does not smell right.
Staff Sergeant Allan, argued in part “Cats rule the world by the cat poop parasite, or scientifically known as Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is formed by an infection in the cat's intestines and then it makes it's way into the cats poop".

On the comment section of this debate, “Natoast” said “I agree that the glorious toxoplasmosises rule the world, this is obvious. But cats are just their lowly servants.

Natoast makes an excellent point, saying cats rule the world for having formed a parasite, is like sying alcoholics rule the alcohol industry for having bad livers.

2. Allan is Correct! We domesticated the cat, not the other way around.
Staff Sergeant Allan in his argument said "It is just the fact that we have domesticated the house cat that we take care of them so much other wise you would have an animal like the badger running around and still being able to tend for itself".

Staff Sergeant Allan in this argument is acknowledging that humans have in fact domesticated the house cat. If cats ruled the world, they would have domesticated us. If cats ruled the world then cats would sometimes cage us, they would decide when we go outside, they would put out boxes for us to poop in, and they would give us balls of string for us to entertain ourselves.

Even large cats are under our control, humans use lion and leopard skins to make coats and purses. We cage them in zoos, and put them in circuses, for our own amusement. We make movies about lions, “The Lion King”. Large cats can argue they rule the World when “The Human King” opens in theaters around the Country.

3. Humans dominate on net kills.
Staff Sergeant Allan has argued that cats kill humans “Here's a list of big cats: tiger, lion, lion, leopard, sabber tooth tiger, etc... http://www.thefreedictionary.com....... So lets look at some death tolls now. Big cats kill a total of 20 people and mall over 246 people in the US and now lets multiply that by other nations in the world. http://bigcatrescue.org...... if there are 196 countries and multiply that by these numbers and we get 3,920 deaths and 48,216 maulings!"

Staff Sergeant Allan is correct, when you include big cats there are documented kills. However even if we give Staff Sergeant Allan his full estimate of 3,920 big cat kills, add in some for disease (Staff Sergeant Allan never provided a firm number), throw in a handful of freak cat kills (I once saw on “Six Feet Under” episode where a cat knocked a radio into a bathtub electrocuting the woman taking a bath). Total all these cat kills together, it still pales in comparison to the number of cats, humans take down. Consider the following.

1. The 4 million cats, killed, cooked, and eaten in Asia each year, as referenced in the second round.

2. The 2.5 million cats that are euthanized by humans each year, as referenced in the second round.

Add to those 6.5 million
Cats that end up as road kill, as a result of humans driving estimated at 839,00 a year,

According to animalpeoplenews.org, “That was the earliest comprehensive count of roadkill cats known to ANIMAL PEOPLE. Since many studies indicate that both the U.S. pet cat and feral cat populations tend to mirror human population distribution, and Baltimore lies close to the climatic midpoint for the U.S. as a whole, the Baltimore ratio of one roadkill cat per 270 residents can be projected to the nation with reasonable hope of accuracy. The U.S. had 226 million residents according to the 1980 census, and thus probably had about 839,000 roadkill cats.”

Adding all these numbers up comes to over 7.3 million deaths a year. Given these numbers, with all due respect, Staff Sergeant Allans’ argument does not have 4 legs to stand on.

Back to Staff Sergeant Allan, for closing arguments.

lannan13

Pro

1. Poop argument just doesn't smell right.
For this debate here today I argued that the cat parasite controls many things, but here's a newsflash it was made via cat! So to look at it this way people say my child did X and since he did X I am responsible since I am their parent. The same logic can be drawn to the Toxoplasma gondii.

2. Allan is correct! We've domesticated cats.
This is were you'll call me out on this, but it is actually the other way around! It started when Jaroslav Flegr got a strange urge to take care of cats and said, "There's something wrong with me." Since he didn't like cats and all of the sudden got a strange urge to take care of cats. And the T-Gondi parasite kills millions of people each year! http://www.theatlantic.com... (This isn't new arguments this is just an extension on the T-Gondi/ poop parasite argument.)

My opponent says I can make the argument when Human King opens in theaters and well, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and children of all ages, I give you, "the Human King." https://www.youtube.com... (see video).

Leopards stick dead humans in trees for their own amusement. http://www.arkive.org...

3. Humans net kills
Let's look at the score according to Flegr (in link earlier this round). he states that the T-Gondi parasite kills Millions of people each year! so the score is 10,839,000 to 6.5 million in favor of cats.

With all arguments refuted and with the death and disease that cats have caused humans and made us think that we own them, shows that the Cats rule the world.
Thank you Teddy for the interesting debate and I urge you to vote Pro!
teddy2013

Con

Let me first address the substance of the debate between Staff Sergeant Allan and I, and then end with an expression of my gratitude.

On the debate substance, I will congratulate Allan on one point, refute his findings on one argument, and end with 4 points, on which I rest my case.

I do appauld Allan on his finding of the parody, “The Human King”. In fairness though, this parody was created by humans, to poke fun at humans, parodying a movie about cats, also made by humans.

I do dispute his conclusion that cats kill more humans, then vice versa. In fairness Staff Sergeant Allan did not give me a definitive number to top until the last round. Topping that number would have easy had I included the euthanasia and road kills in the rest of the world, and if I had included the number of cats eaten in Louisiana and Alabama.

I rest my case on the 4 arguments listed below , these are common sense arguments, and they were not sufficiently refuted by Staff Sergeant Allan

4. Allan is Correct! We domesticated the cat, not the other way around.

Having proven my case by the preponderance of the evidence, I ask that you vote Con.

Finally let thank Staff Sergeant Allan, for having offered this debate. Staff Sergeant Allan (lannan13) is a legend on this site, with a 99.71% percentile, and soon to exceed 2100 posts. One of his recent opponents “ashleystruelove” simply disappeared after debating Allan.

So for me it simply a honor to be able to be on the same debate platform as the legend. However, it would be even sweeter to defeat him. Besides, even with a loss, Alan will still be in the 96% percentile. Please vote con, and thanks again Allan.

Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
+1 to KirstenNicole
Posted by KirstenNicole77 4 years ago
KirstenNicole77
I fail to see lannan13 did not mention the most important argument; cats dominating the Internet.
Posted by teddy2013 4 years ago
teddy2013
" rross", thanks for the vote. It was a fun debate. I sincerely meant my compliments for Staff Sergeant Allan. Allan's' arguments forced me to spend way more time, thinking about cats, and researching cat poop, then I ever imagined I would ever do, lol.
Posted by teddy2013 4 years ago
teddy2013
Thanks for the tip. So in other words, I should not say say, Staff Sergeant Allan says, note- for future references when you quote your opponent you should bold it or use italics.

Instead I should say Staff Sergeant Allan says, "note- for future references when you quote your opponent you should bold it or use italics."
Posted by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
note- for future references when you quote your opponet you should bold it or use italics.
Posted by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
Thanks! Ill post tomorrow after my staff Nco meeting when I can get to a computer
Posted by teddy2013 4 years ago
teddy2013
I will call you Staff Sergeant Allan, congratulations on your promotion.
Posted by lannan13 4 years ago
lannan13
you can call me Lannan13, Staff Sergeant (I just got promoted today :D), or Allan is all fine. The reason for me being Lannan13 is because 13 is my favorite number so therefore Lannan13 not because I was 13 when I joined the site.
Posted by natoast 4 years ago
natoast
I agree that the glorious toxoplasmosises rule the world, this is obvious. But cats are just their lowly servants.
Posted by teddy2013 4 years ago
teddy2013
lannan13, I will post my argument tonight. In the meantime. I wanted to ask you, how you prefer I address you. I have listed 7 possibilities below
1. Allan
2. lannan13 (even though you are now 16)
3. lannan16
4. lannon13 (with lannan misspelled)
5. Mr. Lannan (to show respect , for the legend that you are on DDO (99.7% percentile rating)
6. Sir, (for the same reasons listed under 5)
7. Something else, you tell me, it is your name after all.

P.S. You call call me Teddy
Vote Placed by OhioGary 4 years ago
OhioGary
lannan13teddy2013Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Nice debate folks! I believe that Con presented the better arguments in that people have domesticated cats and that people make life & death decisions over both big & small cats. Argument to Con. Pro provided better sources from CBS News and Discovery.com. Sources to Pro. Both had some minor S&G errors, so that's a tie. Conduct a tie.
Vote Placed by rross 4 years ago
rross
lannan13teddy2013Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a good debate, but pro spent too much time arguing for parasites rather than cats. At first, I thought pro was funnier and almost gave him conduct for that, but then I liked con's final round (love those backhanded compliments) so tied.