Resolved: China is, or will have reached superpower status in the near future.

I'll argue the affirmative. Round 1 is for acceptance only.

If your wondering, I did already start this debate with another member. However, this member deactivated his account in the middle of our debate so I'd like to restart the debate. Thank you.

I will be arguing that China will NOT become a superpower and is not now.

Definition of SUPERPOWER
1: excessive or superior power
2a : an extremely powerful nation; specifically : one of a very few dominant states in an era when the world is divided politically into these states and their satellites b : an international governing body able to enforce its will upon the most powerful states

Define China as People's Republic of China NOT the Republic of China (Taiwan)

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting the debate today.

I would like to offer my definition for the most controversial term of th evening: Superpower.

Superpower: A superpower is a state with a dominant position in the international system which has the ability to influence events and its own interests and project power on a worldwide scale to protect those interests. A superpower is traditionally considered to be one step higher than a great power. [1]

With that in mind, let us start the debate.

Future has been defined as the next 5-15 years.

I affirm above resolution and offer 3 contentions finding China to be at, or will achieve in the near future, superpower status according to my definition.

Contention 1: Military Power
Contention 2: Population
Contention 3: Economic Power
Contention 4: Nuclear Capabilities
Contention 5: Influence

Today, we must judge the potential superpower of China by three factors: military might, numerical advantage (population), economic strength, intercontinental nuclear capabilities, and international influence.

Contention 1: Military Power

In recent years, the nation of China has seen considerable gains in military might. The pace and scope of China's military buildup is “potentially destabilizing” in the Pacific, a top defense official warned Wednesday as the Pentagon released an annual report cataloging China’s cruise missiles, fighter jets and growing, modernizing army. [2]
China is looking toward dominating the Pacific Region and has successfully done so. The Chinese have established one of the most modern and advanced navies in the world, comprising more than 560 combat vessels [3].
China's longer-term agenda is to develop 'comprehensive national power', including a strong military, that is in keeping with its view of itself as a great power [4] China’s People’s Liberation Army — with some 1.25 million ground troops, the largest in the world — is on track to achieve its goal of building a modern, regionally focused force by 2020 [5]
The Chinese have built an impressive list of military achievements:
A) Created the world's third largest navy, 562 new and powerful combat-ready vessels.
B) Created the world's largest ground army, comprising more than 1.25 million men.
C) Domination of the Pacific Region

For air superiority, China is developing a new-generation stealth jet fighter, the J-20 [6].

China is a superpower now by most regards. By 2020, it will have the most powerful army in the world, as well as the largest. China’s total military spending for 2010 was more than $160 billion. [7].
China is spending billions of dollars and is achieving results.
By any military regard, China is, or will very shortly, be a superpower.

Contention 2: Population

Without a doubt, a sizable and strong population is a necessary component of the superpower status. China once again achieves this. China has a population of nearly 1.4 billion people, nearly 20% of the entire planet [8].
China's population is a characteristic of their superpower status. "was used to signify a political community that occupied a continental-sized landmass, had a sizable population (relative at least to other major powers); a superordinate economic capacity (again, relative to others), including ample indigenous supplies of food and natural resources; enjoyed a high degree of non-dependence on international intercourse; and, most importantly, had a well-developed nuclear capacity (eventually normally defined as second-strike capability)" [9]
With a population far higher than the next contender, and making up more than 20% of the planet, China easily has a numerical advantage in any theoretical advantage.

Contention 3: Economic Power

Perhaps the greatest indicator of a superpower, is it's economic power. Again, China satisifies this condition. China currently has a gross domestic product of more than 10 trillion dollars, has the highest amount of investment in the world, and an epicenter of economic prowess [10]. China also has a "a superordinate economic capacity " [9]. In terms of economic power China is the economy of tomorrow.
In 2016, the United States will cease to be the world's largest economy, China will overtake the United States as the world's most powerful economic nation [11] [12].

Contention 4: Nuclear Capabilities.

All theoretical superpowers have a "and, most importantly, had a well-developed nuclear capacity" [9]. Again, China fulfills this goal. China has in excess of 900 powerful, inter-continental ballistic missiles at it's disposal [13]. China has a nuclear capability comparable to that of the United States and previous superpower the Soviet Union.

Contention 5: Influence

As a result of gigantic investment and massive economic growth, China is becoming more and more able to be considered an influential power (in line with my definition).

To understand why China's influence is increasingly pushing past its borders, just do the math.

When 1.3 billion people want something, the world feels it. And when those people in ever increasing numbers are joining a swelling middle class eager for a richer lifestyle, the world feels it even more. If China's growth continues, its consumer market will be the world's second largest by 2015 [14]. China, being the world's largest exporter, [10] exerts considerable control over world markets.
It holds the United States at bay with it's debt and currency manipulation.
China's massive growth greatly increased it's influence. China's influence is now world wide.

In conclusion, when determining whether China is, or will become a superpower, look at the facts:
1. China has the world's largest army.
2. China has the world's largest population.
3. China will have the world's largest economy (by 2016, in 5 years)
4. China has a massive nuclear stockpile.
5. China exerts global influence.

By all accounts, China is a superpower, or at least by 2016, it will be a superpower.

I urge an affirmative vote.

6- ibid

7- ibid

Kethen forfeited this round.

Extend all arguments. Vote pro.

That is crap it forfeited my round while I was typing... But there is no point in arguing now. Vote tie because he set the limit to 24 hours and I had school and work.

Redo argument and extend time and voting period and post the exact same argument.

My opponent was well aware of all rules regarding the debate before he accepted. That was his perogative. Not mine. Extend all arguments till 4th and final round.
Vote Pro.

Actually I wasn't it would be awesome if someone would tell me were to look to see the voting time and all that. I don't know how to look that up.

Whatever though vote whatever you guys want. It forfeited me while I was typing but it is no big deal I don't care what you vote and I hope Pro will give me another chance
Posted by Kethen 4 years ago
I really have never read that agree thing LOL. Well live and learn! Also thanks for the 2nd chance. Also I didn't post any arguments cause I wanted you to have a full argument not a half an argument.
Posted by GWindeknecht1 4 years ago
Kethen- You clicked "agree" to all terms and conditions before accepting this debate. It was your responsibility to read through it. Don't blame me.
Posted by Kethen 4 years ago
sorry guys vote whatever you want if he puts it back up Ill argue it.
Posted by Kethen 4 years ago
Make it longer than 24 hours and make the voting time longer too....
Posted by Kethen 4 years ago
So.... can we restart and just type the exact same thing because I have a whole rebuttal wrote and then I hit post and it had already forfeited me....
Posted by Kethen 4 years ago
Posted by Kethen 4 years ago
It won't let me post my argument. It says it isn't my turn...but it is!
Posted by Chamaeleon 4 years ago
Yeah really, cuz they're obviously already a superpower at creating humans (and aborting the women), and censoring the internet, and putting radioactive chemicals in toys (but at least they break before you could get dosed with too much radiation, so that's good).
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
super power like economic or militarily, once defines I may accept.
Posted by Debater17 4 years ago
define near future
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con, you can see the time limit after you accept the debate, the next window shows the time in between rounds. Also you didnt have to give up you could have posted your counter arguments because the pro didnt add any new ones or clarify/justify his previous ones in any way.....