alex.whyte
Citrakayah

Resolved: Congress should renew the Federal Assault Weapons Ban.

alex.whyte

Con

I wanted to debate the current Public Forum resolution because I'm new to PF and need to gather ideas for writing my cases, and would absolutely love for someone to debate me on this topic while also helping me understand the topic better overall. I have two debates currently running on this resolution. One of which I am Pro, and one where I am Con. If I ever accidentally claim myself to be Pro in a Con round, or vice-versa, I apologize in advance.

Rules:

PRO will begin this debate when he/she accepts it, I will argue second.

In round 5 PRO will only post: "..." because it would make for an unfair debate if he/she were able to argue one more time than I do.

Trolling will result in an immediate loss for the troll.

I look forward to your arguments, Pro, and thank you for accepting this debate.
Citrakayah

Pro

My thanks to my opponent for putting forward this issue and providing me with my first debate on this site.

Notes:
•I presume in my argument that the ban will be enforced by an ATF given adequate funding and resources for the job. Obviously such a ban would be useless if the ATF could not enforce it, and I would be unsurprised if the ATF currently does not have the resources to implement the ban effectively.
•I am assuming we are using a utilitarian framework, discussing whether the ban is justified in terms of impact on crime rates versus a variety of other factors (such as cost, infringement on liberties, etc.), not whether or not the ban is justified in more abstract moral terms.
•I use the term ‘murder' to avoid semantic issues of legally justified killing versus killings that fall under the legal definition of murder.

Definitions:
-Adequate funding: An admittedly rather vague number (I do not have the ability to calculate the costs of such a ban.), similar in scope to the amount used for bans on other controlled objects, such as heroin or explosives.
-Adequate resources: Electronic databases of firearms, a decent system of reporting and tracking confiscations, that sort of stuff.

Observation 1: Not all murders committed with an assault weapon is going to be committed by someone who meticulously plots out every single detail of how to get their hands on a weapon, figures out exactly where they are going to be, etc. Some are going to be committed by people who have an assault weapon, but snap mentally, or by those who managed to find one fairly easily and thus did not use a less effective weapon.
Observation 2: The point of a ban is not to completely eliminate all problems with the banned object, but to reduce them. While an assault weapons ban cannot eliminate all assault weapons, the end point of such a ban is to make obtaining them significantly harder, thus reducing the number of people getting murdered by them.

Assertion 1: Relatively few people use firearms defensively compared to the number who use them offensively.[1] The situations in which an individual would need to use an assault weapon for self-defense are relatively few in number, usually relying on there being a large number of individuals attempting to kill aforementioned individual. Such a scenario raises the question of why, in the time it takes for someone with an assault weapon to shoot such a large number of people, they have not killed aforementioned individual.

Conclusion 1: Thus, the potential for assault weapons, specifically, to be abused is greater than their potential to be used correctly and for good, constructive ends (or to avert destructive ends). As such, the benefits of assault weapons do not outweigh the costs.

I would once again like to thank my opponent for starting this debate.

1. http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov...
alex.whyte

Con

alex.whyte forfeited this round.
Citrakayah

Pro

Citrakayah forfeited this round.
alex.whyte

Con

alex.whyte forfeited this round.
Citrakayah

Pro

I extend my arguments from Round 1.
alex.whyte

Con

alex.whyte forfeited this round.
Citrakayah

Pro

I extend my arguments.
alex.whyte

Con

alex.whyte forfeited this round.
Citrakayah

Pro

I extend my arguments.
Posted by alex.whyte 4 years ago
alex.whyte
Holy $hit, I'm so sorry. I'm not even going to be debating this topic because I ended up realizing I'm not going to tournaments until the 27th of next month. If you want to debate the October topic, I'd be glad.
Posted by Citrakayah 4 years ago
Citrakayah
Oh, I'm always willing for a challenge on gun control.

Speaking of which, what do you say when your opponent forfeits?
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
Lol, I wish I was con v. Pro on this one specifically
Posted by alex.whyte 4 years ago
alex.whyte
Again, imabench, I have already stated that I'm in another debate on the same topic using the opposite side. I don't care if I win or lose, the only arguments I will use are arguments that I have already laid out. If they conveniently overlap those of one of my opponents, I apologize in advance.

Zaradi, CX is the most awful experience I've ever had to endure, and LD was full of a$$holes. I'm trying PF this year.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Silly PFers. Silly, silly PFers.
Posted by adontimasu 4 years ago
adontimasu
I doubt it, imabench, since he takes the polar opposite position for each debate.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
WARNING: The con will likely be using arguments in a debate just like this one where he is the Pro. See link below

http://www.debate.org...