hwp460
Yannistote

Resolved:Economic growth matters more than ecological issues.

Yannistote has forfeited round #2.
Started: 2/8/2018 Category: Economics

hwp460

Pro

The economy is more important than ecological issues because, without an economy, we can't ever hope to fix climate change. If the economy is bad, then no one contributes to ecological research. Also, since the "eco-friendly" products are more expensive, no one can afford them. Global warming is easier to manage than an economic collapse.
Yannistote

Con

Yeah, I admit your idea. But, the environment must be treated apart. You can't mix up this two ideas. Indeed, Environment gets beyond the idea of economy. Everybody is concerned and can participate from the poorest to the richest.
hwp460

Pro

I would like to establish that it's not a matter of they can both be done. We can do both, but I'm saying if a serious decision was to come in the future where you have to choose one side, it should go to the economy. I support this for three reasons, immediate effects, precedence, and morality.

1.Immediate Effects-The economy is could go down at any minute. The great depression and the housing market crash were examples of this. Climate change isn't going to have any serious damage for a decade. I'm not saying that we shouldn't focus on it at all, but the economy should be held to a higher standard.

2.Precedence-We can't fix the environment with a broken economy. You said the poor can do there part, but gave no evidence how. I don't feel the economically disadvantaged of the planet can do as much as the upper class.

3.Morality-As long as there are starving children, even just one, we are failing as a country by not allowing there to be more economic growth in the United States. We are choosing birds and trees over children and citizens.