Resolved: Electric Cars Are Overall Better Than Gas Cars

Started: 8/16/2011 Category: Technology

Hello, and thank you to anyone who participates in this debate. Special thanks to my opponent, greekgodfan321 for either accepting or declining this debate.

Because of my personal opinion with the resolution put forth, I am obliged to argue in acceptance to the resolution that states, 'Resolved: Electric cars are overall better than gas cars."

This will be a four round debate. The criteria in which the debate will flow is as follows---
  • Round One: ACCEPTANCE ONLY (and key terms in regards to resolution)
  • Round Two: Main contentions/arguments put forth
  • Round Three: Rebuttals/cross-examination of opponents points---NO NEW ARGUMENTS
  • Round Four: Closing statements---NO NEW ARGUMENTS

Before passing this debate onto my opponent, I must lay out some key terms in regards to the resolution...

Electric Cars:
(mechanical engineering) An automotive vehicle that is propelled by one or more electric motors powered by a special rechargeable electric battery rather than by an internal combustion engine. [1]

Are: Self-explanatory [2]

Overall Better: Including everything; comprehensive/Better---meaning in terms of electric cars V.S. gas cars [2-]

Than: As compared to

Gas Cars: A car maintained by some sort of internal-combustion engine. [2--]

With these statemnts put forth in regards to the resolution, it is obvious to see as PRO, I will be arguing the fact that Electric Cars are Overall better, in terms of pollution and other contributing factors that hurt our environment (and in a more wider scope than just this)---as compared to gas cars, that in terms of the resolution, aren't necessarily better OVERALL as compared to electric cars because of a variety of reasons which will hopefully be asked and discussed in the rounds to come in this debate.

With our criteria at hand, our definition at equal opportunity, let us see if CON shall accept. Thank you.

[2]. [2-]. [2--]-

First and foremost, don't trust It's about as reliable as wackier. I do not like gas engines, because I prefer diesel. I think electric cars are interesting although the main question is how much money will be added to your electric bill every time you charge it?

First and foremost, I undertsand that isn't the most reliable source, but I was merely using it for a simple definition. In fact, the def. offred was obtained from a sci-tech term and definition dictionary. In regards to electrical engineering, that seems to be a pretty reliable source when looking for key terms, evidence, or in my case, a simple defintion. If you don't believe this, check the link once more...In any case

Good Luck.

Before stating my main contentions, I'd like to take a moment to answer your question about the money issue and cost likelihood of having to charge an EV (electrical vehicle) when necessary, and you might be surprised to find out that it is relatively cheap, and a better and cheaper price than as compared to buying fuel for a gasoline car (in the case of comparing the two---as the resolution states).

Plug In America estimates that it will cost $2 to $4 to fully charge an all-electric car. In this case, it is obvious to see that electrical prices for your EV will not have your electrical bill going through your roof. Of course, your mileage may vary -- in a couple of ways. The cost of electricity in your city will affect that price, and the way you drive your EV will affect how many miles you get per charge.

That said, let's do a little math. In Portland, Ore., where electric cars are gaining ground and the local utility is providing charging infrastructure, electricity runs about 6 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh). The new Mini E, which is still in field trials, uses .22 kWh per mile, which translates to 22 kWh for 100 miles (160.9 kilometers) of driving. And in Portland, 22 kWh will cost $1.32.

Just to compare, the 2011 Mini Cooper that runs on gasoline gets 31 miles per gallon (49.9 kilometers per gallon) combined, according to the EPA, which translates to 3.2 gallons (12.1 liters) per 100 miles 160.9 kilometers). And if a gallon of gas is about $2.70, as AAA says it is today, then that same 100 miles (160.9 kilometers) would cost $8.64 in a Mini with an internal combustion engine instead of a Mini with a bank of batteries. [1]

Now onto my main contentions

Contention One: Electric Cars Are Oveall Better In Terms of KEY APSPECTS

Economic and environmental factors are the top reasons for considering electric-powered alternatives to vehicles that run on conventional fuels such as gasoline, propane and diesel.

Lower Cost

EVs generally cost less in total to own, operate and maintain than combustion-powered vehicles, even in cases where the initial purchase price is somewhat higher.

More Reliability

Electric motors have very few moving parts and don’t need fluids such as engine oil, anti-freeze or transmission fluid, so they require relatively little maintenance and are far less likely to leak. Excellent reliability means down time is less likely, too.

No pollutant Emissions

EVs emit no pollutant from the tailpipe, so they’re cleaner for the environment and better for everyone’s respiratory health.

Significantly, according to the Electric Vehicle Association (USA) electric cars are 90% cleaner in greenhouse emissions than the latest gasoline fuelled cars. That’s a great asset for Mother Earth [2]

EVs also run far more quietly than their combustion-powered counterparts which enhances worker health and comfort – a smart move in an era of rising medical costs.

Lower Overall Emissions

The overall emissions associated with using EVs are typically far less than the emissions from their combustion-powered counterparts.

Overnight Charging

Most EVs charge up at night when system wide demand for electricity is low. They tap existing generating capacity that is not fully used rather than increasing demand for new capacity.

Reduced Oil Consumption

Choosing EVs instead of combustion powered vehicles contributes to reduced dumping of engine oils into the environment and reduced U.S reliance on foreign oil. [3]

With these statements put forth, it is easy to see that EV are overall better as compared to gas cars. But if these are the positive asects of Electrical Vehicles...why are they necessrily BETTER than gas vehicles? Well the answer lies within my next contention that Gas Cars are overall NOT better than as compared to EV

Contention Two: Gas Cars Are Overall (In Key Aspects) Nowhere NEAR As Beneficial, Efficient, And Overall BETTER As Compared To Electrical Vehicles.

The gasoline engine has been the method of choice for powering cars for as long as automobiles have been in existence. However, a number of by-products from gas-powered engines have drawn mounting criticism for their level of pollutants, a stagnant fuel economy and the drain on gasoline resources.

• One of the biggest drawbacks to using gasoline-powered cars is the amount of pollution introduced into the atmosphere. Every year, the United States alone is responsible for 1.7 billion tons of CO2 released into the atmosphere from the tailpipes of gas-powered cars, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. CO2 is one of the greenhouse gases that can have a devastating effect on the environment by contributing to melting ice caps, rising oceans and warmer climates.

• Although electric cars initially dominated the auto market, drivers switched over to gasoline almost entirely as easier and cheaper methods of transporting the fuel were discovered. However, in today's economy (2010) with a high demand, increasing gas prices and the amount people drive, gas is no longer an inexpensive commodity. Every year, the average driver can spend up to $3,000 a month in gasoline expenses, and this amount is expected to increase.

The Fuel Source

• Another downside to using gasoline as the sole method to power cars is the source of the fuel. According to EPA estimates, more than 57% of the oil Americans use come from foreign sources. The majority of these foreign sources are found in the Middle East and are members of OPEC (Oil Producing and Export Countries), an organization that can manipulate the cost of oil to leave economies susceptible to major recessions based on sudden fluctuations of oil prices. [4]

With the comparison between the two, it is easy to make a decision...almost any smart, negotiable, and easy person would likely choose the EV any day over the yucky, non-beneficial gas powered vehicle that dirties our air and hurts our environment as whole. There are several reasons why electric cars are overall better than gas cars...but I'd like to move to my third contention, a bit focused on how these cars are powered and what the positive effects are exactly.

Contention Three: Beneficial Or Not?

• Electric cars have no tail pipe and produce zero emissions while moving. By separating your pollution from your transportation, you eliminate widespread pollution over large areas and concentrate your pollution to one point source—the power plant.
  • Now that you have concentrated your pollution to one point source, whenever new technology comes along that makes that power source cleaner, you only need to upgrade a few thousand power plants, rather than a few hundred million cars. It is much easier to change one coal plant out for one wind farm, for example, than it is to bring millions of cars back in to install some new kind of pollution control device. It takes decades for cars to cycle out of the system.
  • An electric car runs off of a power source that can be made from a multitude of different things. From coal, to natural gas, to biomass, to wind, to solar, to wave, to nuclear, to hydro, to oil, to anything else that might come down the pipe in the future (fusion?). It’s “infinitely” dynamic. This does two things: it makes your energy supply more secure and it means your car just became infinitely more versatile. A gas car can only run off of gas or some other form of gas-like fuel [5]

I am sorry... but I feel the need to forfeit.
There is no way that I can compete fairly with you.

I do thank you for teaching me about electric cars. It was very enlightening.

Alvin 8th grader

I would like to say thank you to my opponent for reading my case, and respectfully and politely forfeiting. It has been an honor at least knowing you're willing to accept my debates, and I hope to challenge you later on in the future (if you're willing to :).

Thank you, and I suppose I will just forfeit the other rounds and forget out the whole thing.

Once more, thank you, and have a good day.

Hope you have a good wet winter... Texas is so dry, I'd sleep in the rain.

Puppet911 forfeited this round.

greekgodfan321 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: greekgodfan321 forfeited, leaving her only 'point' a criticism of one of Puppet911's sources.