twsurber
ReganFan

Resolved: Failed nations are a greater threat to the United States than stable nations

twsurber

twsurber

Con

Pro/Aff goes first.
ReganFan

Pro

Since my opponent has failed to Provide any definitions allow me too:

Failed State: A dysfunctional state which also has multiple competing political factions in conflict within its borders or has no functioning governance

Stable Nations: The name of the band I was apart of during high school; I was the drummer. We decided to break up only 2 months after we started the band due to hostility between the main singer and the guitarist.

Seeing as the band I was apart of is no longer together it cant possibly pose a threat to the United States of America.
twsurber

Con

PRO/AFF, Thank you for agreeing to this debate. I would also like to thank the judges and audience for their attention and input.

Judges ready?
Opponent ready?

ANALYSIS:
I will begin by pointing out flaws in the PRO/AFF's first round position.

A. It is the responsibility of the PRO/AFF to produce argument(s) that advocate the resolution's worthiness. In my opinion, this was not accomplished. The only information presented was an unsubstaniated claim to have once been the drummer of a high school band that no longer exists. He/she further stated that since the band no longer exists, it cannot be a threat to the United States. I am willing to stipulate that the alleged former band, in it's present broken apart status, does not produce a legitimate threat to the United States if it is indeed no longer in existence.

B. The PRO/AFF has not presented any other evidence, or suggestions to substantiate the resolution. Therefore, I have very little to even argue with him/her.

C. The PRO/AFF did not provide any sources for his/her single contention or definitions.

D. The PRO/AFF's position thus far lacks legitimate substance and implies apathy. In just the few sentences he/she produced, there are at least 3 grammatical errors, not including the apparant misspelling of Ronald Reagan's last name used for his/her screen name.

E. I will also challenge the definitions provided in relation to defending the resolution, as well as their sources. Every nation, failed or not, has competing political factions within its borders.

ADDITIONAL DEFINITIONS:
I am using the terms "state" and "nation" synonomously.

Threat - an expression of intention to hurt, destroy, punish, etc., as in retaliation or intimidation an indication of imminent danger, harm, evil, etc. the threat of war (source: www.yourdictionary.com)

Failed nations - The term failed state is often used by political commentators and journalists to describe a state perceived as having failed at some of the basic conditions and responsibilities of a sovereign government. In order to make this definition more precise, the following attributes, proposed by the Fund for Peace, are often used to characterize a failed state: loss of physical control of its territory, or of the monopoly on the legitimate use of physical force therein, erosion of legitimate authority to make collective decisions, an inability to provide reasonable public services, and an inability to interact with other states as a full member of the international community.
Common characteristics of a failing state include a central government so weak or ineffective that it has little practical control over much of its territory; non-provision of public services; widespread corruption and criminality; refugees and involuntary movement of populations; and sharp economic decline ( source: www.wikipedia.com)

Stable: firm in character, purpose, or resolution; steadfast reliable, dependable not likely to change or be affected adversely; lasting; enduring (source: www.your dictionary.com)

Nation: a stable, historically developed community of people with a territory, economic life, distinctive culture, and language in common
the people of a territory united under a single government; country (source: www.yourdictionary.com)

FIRST CON/NEG:

A. I oppose the resolution as stated. A failed nation lacks the leadership to be a greater threat than a stable nation. Even a nation with a Laissez Faire style of leader poses little threat to the United States because nothing will get accomplished.

B. Stable nations pose a greater threat from several different avenues. Let's take a peek at what some of those entail.
1. Organized military: Many stable nations have organized militaries which could attack the United States is so directed. Failed nations likely do not have organized militaries.
2. Financial resources: Many stable nations have assets available that would enable them to pose a threat to the United States that failed nations may not have access to.
3. Leadership: Stable nations obviously have a sense of direction with some form of successful leadership in place. As the name implies, failed nations lack leadership.

SUMMARY: Thus far, the PRO/AFF has failed to meet the criteria required of him/her while I have clearly produced the better argument. Thank you.
twsurber

Con

Again, thank you for agreeing to this debate.

Judges ready?
Opponent ready?

To refute my opponent's only contention, "You lose". This is nothing more than a presumptious declaritive statement at best, and more of a lackluster performance at worst, depending on how one defines lose. I would also like to point out that since this is a complete, two word sentence, it did not end with a period. Once again, I have better grammar, which is one of the voting criteria.

I will reiterate my strongest contention, a failed state lacks the leadership and the resources to be a significant threat to the United States. A stable nation is just that, stable. A failed nation is just that, failed. Allow me to define the word greater from the resolution.

greater in size or importance or degree; "for the greater good of the community"; "the greater Antilles"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Comparative form of great: more great; Used in referring to a region or place together with the surrounding area; (of a city) metropolitan
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/greater

Since failed states lack the leadership and resources, they are NOT the greater threat. Stable nations are clearly in a much better posture to pose a more serious, or greater, threat then failed nations.

In conclusion, I feel that I have presented the stronger argument and am deserving of your votes. Further, I have presented my case enthusiastically while my opponent has been flippant and apathetic. Since my opponent has not challenged anything I have presented, we can only assume that he/she agrees. My case and positions are valid, and they are undisputed. Vote CON/NEG. Thank you.
ReganFan

Pro

ReganFan forfeited this round.
Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
Um...way to throw the debate, ReganFan...
Posted by twsurber 8 years ago
twsurber
Thank you alto2osu! I have voted in your debate. Also thanks to RennAmethyst5 for your support. Thomas
Posted by RennAmethyst 8 years ago
RennAmethyst
For real? Defining "stable nations" as a band? Pfff, people should be banned for just abandoning the subject... happens way too much.
Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
You are more than welcome to the sources and the case concepts from my failed round:

http://www.debate.org...

None of my kids run PoFo until Nat Quals...but I doubt we even live in the same state, so like it matters. :)
Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
Cool beans :) I coach in Oregon (primarily LDV). I actually like this PoFo topic for once...
Posted by twsurber 8 years ago
twsurber
I coach a high school debate team. This is the NFL public forum topic for NOV/DEC. I want to get some ideas together by debating others, even if I lose, and thereby better prepare my team for competition. I appreciate everyone's ideas, comments, and feedback. Thomas
Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
And what is the definition of "failed state"? Like, if you go by an actual failed state index (fund for peace or something like that put it together), then the US is at moderate risk of being unstable, but I don't know its previous positions (I could check). So, whether it is still empirically failing is up for debate (obviously :) ).

I'm very wary to accept this, as the last one I accepted was just fishing for a case and dropped all subsequent rounds...
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Crack of dawn. Please expand upon your point. Why are we failing? Why are we going to fail? I assume, of course, that you are saying that failure will come soon and not decades or centuries in the future.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
All states fail.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
I agree, since we are a failing and will become a failed nation.
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
twsurberReganFanTied
Vote Placed by xfatalityx 7 years ago
xfatalityx
twsurberReganFanTied
Vote Placed by twsurber 8 years ago
twsurber
twsurberReganFanTied
Vote Placed by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
twsurberReganFanTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 8 years ago
wonderwoman
twsurberReganFanTied