bamafan
Danielle

Resolved: Free trade should be valued above protectionism.

Danielle
Started: 2/8/2011 Category: Economics

bamafan

Con

I have a tournament next week and i need practice. Aff goes first. This debate follows traditional ld format
Danielle

Pro

-- Introduction --

Though Con has asked for this to be a traditional LD style debate, he's shifted his obligation to make the first argument as instigator and unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with LD to know how to structure it properly without first looking it up. Considering I only have 9 minutes to submit this round, I'll format this round to include my arguments only.

Free trade is when two countries/economies agree to soften or eliminate tariffs and other trade barriers.

-- Very Brief Introduction of Argument --

In the Principals of Political Economy, economist David Ricardo theorized about comparative advantage. According to Ricardo's theory, even if a country could produce everything more efficiently than another country, it would reap gains from specializing in what it was best at producing and trading with other nations [1]. Because of this, a country who could make the most money by exporting a particular resource would focus their attention on that primarily. The catch is that they would need to trade with other people in order to have all of the things they needed. This may be out of convenience or necessity (if say people lived in an area lacking a particular resource or good; for instance the U.S. must import all of its coffee [2]).

By limiting free trade, it increases the price of goods that we import. This in turn increases manufacturing costs. For instance if we have increased cost of imported iron, products cost more to make which makes the prices higher for consumers. This can have a cyclical negative impact on the economy. It goes against comparative advantage theory and discourages productive trade.

More to come in upcoming rounds...

-- References --

[1] Case, Karl E.; Fair, Ray C. (1999), Principles of Economics (5th ed.), Prentice-Hall. pp. 812-818
[2] http://www.census.gov...
bamafan

Con

bamafan forfeited this round.
Danielle

Pro

I don't think my opponent will show up to reply, but I'll continue my argument anyway.

Free trade is when two countries/economies agree to soften or eliminate tariffs and other trade barriers. However, it could also refer to trade without interference. I maintain that such trade should be valued over protected trade.

As I started to address in the last round, people within a specific area (for all intents and purposes I will say 'countries') can maximize efficiency of their resources and achieve the best potential net gain if they specialize in producing certain goods or products specifically. For example, if China had a lot of rice but no cattle, it would behoove them to invest in producing and exporting rice in particular, trading it to others who need it in exchange for cattle which is not readily available to them (or that would be less efficient for them to invest in). Putting tariffs or other barriers on trade goods discourages a country from exporting to you. As such, trade declines and this efficient method of production and maximizing gains becomes ineffective.

Free trade allows companies a greater supply of raw materials at a lower price. By producing at lower costs, they can sell at lower costs thus allowing them to become more competitive in the global market. If other countries have lower prices, Americans will buy from them instead of American businesses thereby making America a less valuable and poorer nation.

Now, my opponent by debating standards (rules of conduct) cannot make any new arguments in the final round. Therefore, he can only reply to the arguments I've already brought up. Considering I doubt he has any intention of replying to this debate anyway, I will conclude here and see what my opponent has to say (if anything) in response to the contentions that I've brought up thus far.

bamafan

Con

bamafan forfeited this round.
Danielle

Pro

As expected, my opponent has forfeited this debate. Extend my arguments; please and thank you.

- Danielle

Posted by TheAtheistAllegiance 6 years ago
TheAtheistAllegiance
Nice vote-bomb, loser.
Posted by 19146md 6 years ago
19146md
You both suck!
Posted by bamafan 6 years ago
bamafan
Hey, sorry, but i couldnt submit my case in time. Since we both werent at our best, would u want to redo the debate in a more structured round?
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
Because in the past I just Google'd LD format so I would structure it to LD standards when asked to do so. But considering I waited until the last minute to post a round, I didn't have time to post it in LD format because I didn't have time to look it up. Instead I just posted a brief argument to avoid forfeiting the round.
Posted by bamafan 6 years ago
bamafan
Hey, not to be rude, but if you weren't familiar with the debate form, why did u accept the challenge?
Posted by bamafan 6 years ago
bamafan
Hey, itd be great if u could hurry up and post ur arguments ASAP. Im tryin to practice 4 a tournament. Thanks
Vote Placed by Amethist17 6 years ago
Amethist17
bamafanDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: no choice but to vote for the only person who did anything
Vote Placed by TheAtheistAllegiance 6 years ago
TheAtheistAllegiance
bamafanDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is axiomatic.
Vote Placed by 19146md 6 years ago
19146md
bamafanDanielleTied
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
bamafanDanielleTied
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 6 years ago
LaissezFaire
bamafanDanielleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious.