ScarletGhost4396
Sojourner

Resolved: Gay marriage must be legalized in order to uphold morality.

ScarletGhost4396

ScarletGhost4396

Pro

This round is only for acceptance of the debate. Actual arguments and statements can be written in the next set of rounds.
Sojourner

Con

ScarletGhost4396

Pro

I thank my opponent for being kind enough to join me in this debate, and as my position has explained on my profile, I firmly affirm the resolution and stand on the PRO side of this debate. The PRO will move on to establish the definitions of the resolution, having only one to speak of:

Morality (n.): A doctrine or system of moral conduct; comformity to ideals of right human conduct (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

From this definition, I can establish the following observations for this debate:

Observation 1: The burden of proof for both sides of the debate are obvious: show that his own side is the better supporter for the ideals of correct human conduct (morality). That side will be the winner of this debate.

Observation 2: A standard for morality must be provided in order to prove that either side is better upholding morality, and the PRO will provide that such standard in the following Universal Declaration of Moral Obligations as provided by John L. Perkins:
http://home.alphalink.com.au...

With this established, we can move on to the iteration of my case:

Contention 1: The legalization of gay marriage aids to society.
For the following reasons, legalization of gay marriage has been beneficial to society, meaning that it has aided people at some level, thus upholding my standard for morality. The legalization of gay marriage has aided to society in the following ways:

Sub-point 1a: The supplement to tolerance of the homosexual community as a result of legalization of gay marriage has helped to reduce negative statistics in the homosexual community.
The proven evidence shows us that the negative statistics in the homosexual community, ranging from the amounts of sexually-transmitted diseases shared among homosexual patrons to the drug and alcohol abuse and suicide rates, have all been shown to be caused as a result of intolerance against the homosexual community. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention writes on homophobia and AIDS rates: " Stigma and homophobia may have a profound impact on the lives of MSM, especially their mental and sexual health. Internalized homophobia may impact men’s ability to make healthy choices, including decisions around sex and substance use. Stigma and homophobia may limit the willingness of MSM to access HIV prevention and care, isolate them from family and community support, and create cultural barriers that inhibit integration into social networks." The following observations on homosexuality and AIDS rates/negative statistics concurs that intolerance is a main factor in the huge AIDS rates:
http://userwww.service.emory.edu...
http://www.sprc.org...
In the Emory University study provided, the study confirms that denial of gay marriage is a form of intolerance, and with the passage of legislation denying same-sex marriage, AIDS rates among homosexuals will increase by 4 per 100,000 cases, while legalizing will reduce by 1 per 100,000 cases. http://www.thebody.com....

Sub-point 1b:
Legalization of same-sex marriage has been beneficial to commerce.
The following evidence of economy after the passage of legalization of same-sex marriage shows us that the legalization is a great supplement to commerce because of the increase of demand for products.
http://newsbusters.org...-
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu...

Contention 2: Legalization of gay marriage establishes justice.
Aside from the aids to society, however, gay marriage at some level better establishes justice, which plays into the entire argument on morality as well based on my standard. This idea is supported by the following points:

Sub-point 2a: Same-sex marriage promotes equality.
The equality within the promotion of same-sex marriage in society lies within the balance of interests of all members of society at a moral level, including the homosexual portions of society. This is a scenario similar to the idea against the legalization of interracial marriage, where two people from two groups of people couldn't acquire a legal marriage based merely on the fact that they were members of that social group and nothing else, which is the pinnacle of what embodies prejudice and discrimination in society. The status against same-sex marriage is similar in this manner.

Sub 2b:
Civil unions are not a good alternative.
Civil unions are not effective at providing parity for homosexuals in the American society because they are designed to be less than traditional marriage and does not provide equal benefit to homosexual patrons as would a normal marriage. At that point, we realize that civil unions are not equal to same-sex marriage.

Sojourner

Con

Sojourner forfeited this round.
ScarletGhost4396

Pro

At this point, the judges can extend all of my arguments until my opponent makes a response to my case. Thank you, and vote PRO.
Sojourner

Con

Sojourner forfeited this round.
Sojourner

Con

Sojourner forfeited this round.
Posted by Buckethead31594 5 years ago
Buckethead31594
Con may lose valuable votes because of their forfeit, unless Con can recover with a strong rebuttal, the votes may be in Pro's favor.
Vote Placed by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
ScarletGhost4396SojournerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sorry con. I would like to vote for you, but you forfeited 3 rounds!
Vote Placed by shift4101 5 years ago
shift4101
ScarletGhost4396SojournerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Blah. FF