ScarletGhost4396
MasterKage

Resolved: Gay marriage should be legalized.

ScarletGhost4396

ScarletGhost4396

Pro

This round is for acceptance only.
ScarletGhost4396

Pro

Contention 1: The legalization of gay marriage aids to society.
For the following reasons, legalization of gay marriage has been beneficial to society, meaning that it has aided people at some level. The legalization of gay marriage has aided to society in the following ways:

Sub-point 1a: The supplement to tolerance of the homosexual community as a result of legalization of gay marriage has helped to reduce negative statistics in the homosexual community.
The proven evidence shows us that the negative statistics in the homosexual community, ranging from the amounts of sexually-transmitted diseases shared among homosexual patrons to the drug and alcohol abuse and suicide rates, have all been shown to be caused as a result of intolerance against the homosexual community. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention writes on homophobia and AIDS rates: " Stigma and homophobia may have a profound impact on the lives of MSM, especially their mental and sexual health. Internalized homophobia may impact men’s ability to make healthy choices, including decisions around sex and substance use. Stigma and homophobia may limit the willingness of MSM to access HIV prevention and care, isolate them from family and community support, and create cultural barriers that inhibit integration into social networks." The following observations on homosexuality and AIDS rates/negative statistics concurs that intolerance is a main factor in the huge AIDS rates:
http://userwww.service.emory.edu.........
http://www.sprc.org.........
In the Emory University study provided, the study confirms that denial of gay marriage is a form of intolerance, and with the passage of legislation denying same-sex marriage, AIDS rates among homosexuals will increase by 4 per 100,000 cases, while legalizing will reduce by 1 per 100,000 cases. http://www.thebody.com..........

Sub-point 1b:
Legalization of same-sex marriage has been beneficial to commerce.
The following evidence of economy after the passage of legalization of same-sex marriage shows us that the legalization is a great supplement to commerce because of the increase of demand for products.
http://newsbusters.org.........-
http://www.cbsnews.com.........
http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu.........

Contention 2: Legalization of gay marriage establishes equality.
Aside from the aids to society, however, gay marriage at some level better establishes equality. This idea is supported by the following points:

Sub-point 2a: Same-sex marriage promotes equality.
The equality within the promotion of same-sex marriage in society lies within the balance of interests of all members of society at a moral level, including the homosexual portions of society. This is a scenario similar to the idea against the legalization of interracial marriage, where two people from two groups of people couldn't acquire a legal marriage based merely on the fact that they were members of that social group and nothing else, which is the pinnacle of what embodies prejudice and discrimination in society. The status against same-sex marriage is similar in this manner.

Sub 2b:
Civil unions are not a good alternative.
Civil unions are not effective at providing parity for homosexuals in the American society because they are designed to be less than traditional marriage and does not provide equal benefit to homosexual patrons as would a normal marriage. At that point, we realize that civil unions are not equal to same-sex marriage.

MasterKage

Con

I thank my opponent for their response.

Firstly, I will present my arguments and refute each of my opponents arguments next round

Contention 1: Gay marriage goes against the Bible's will. [1]

There have been numerous instances where the bible has credited gay marriage as immoral.

Leviticus 18:22 (ESV)

22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

This identifies homosexuality as an abomination.

Romans 1:26–27 (ESV)

26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless.

This declares homosexual actions and desires to be shameful and unnatural.

1 Corinthians 6:9 (ESV)

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

This states homosexuality is unrighteous.

Contention 2: Gay marriage will have a negative impact on education. [2]

"But the changes it will bring to our schools make this unlikely. A California task force appointed in 2001 recommended all curriculum's there be changed to include alternative sexual lifestyles. In 2006, a federal judge in Massachusetts ruled that schools have a duty to teach children that there's moral equivalency between homosexual and heterosexual relationships - and have no obligation to let parents opt their children out of such instruction."

I will refute each of my opponents point's next round.

ScarletGhost4396

Pro

Rebuttal 1: My opponent pulls up a point without a reasoning in his first contention and nothing really to defend it, so it makes it very simple to attack it. For one thing, he states that the Bible condemns gay marriage because it condemns homosexuality, which is a pretty reasonable enough syllogism, but he doesn't explain why the Bible is something we all should adhere to. This text is only really applicable to members of the Christian faith and something only they believe in rather than the entire global society as a whole. In addition, he doesn't show to explain why this is the best source for morality nor the best source for standards as to how we should live our lives. I could explain in depth as to why we shouldn't go to the Bible for any said standards, including that there are several segments within the Bible promoting the subordination of women, violence against people of other religions, and other actions that we consider to be morally irrelevant or morally wrong. I won't place these quotations in this rebuttal considering that I am limited on time, but I'll place them later on this argument. Furthermore, if my opponent is willing to put up a Biblical argument in this debate, he'd better be prepared to answer to the other things he is implicitly promoting by using the Bible as a standard.

Rebuttal 2: Again, a point without a reasoning. What my opponent explains is that schools are going to teach about homosexuals in their curriculum at some level, but he doesn't explain why this is particularly a bad thing in any way. Why is it a bad thing to explain to children that homosexuals exist and should have their respect? Why is it a bad thing for children to learn about the history about homosexuals in the United States or anywhere else, including the homosexual rights movement of the 1970s, beginning after the Stonewall Riots of 1968? All of this, of course, runs under the implication that gay marriage has any correlation, let alone causation, between it and instruction of gay society. Vermont, Iowa, New York, and Connecticut also have gay marriage legal and do not enforce this instruction. Canada has gay marriage legal everywhere, and to my knowledge, they do not enforce this instruction. Some places in Europe actually have gay marriage, and also to my knowledge doesn't enforce this instruction. Not only does my evidence have no reasoning in this Contention but no evidence for its strong correlation either other than just California (which outlawed gay marriage, by the way, with Prop 8 in 2007 and still enforced instruction of homosexuals afterwards), and a Massachusetts federal decision.
MasterKage

Con

I'm going to have to concede on this one.

I just don't have enough information to counter the resolution.

Go ahead and give the vote to Pro.

ScarletGhost4396

Pro

Alright everyone, you heard what he said. Vote PRO. I thank my opponent for a good debate.
MasterKage

Con

Yeah, vote Pro.

Once Christmas rolls around I'll be able to actually do this with you.

Posted by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
Though I am not going to vote, I totally agree with pro for few reasons.
Posted by WriterSelbe 2 years ago
WriterSelbe
Bweh heh. Kage referenced religion. Funny guy.
Posted by MasterKage 2 years ago
MasterKage
Whoops. Forgive me for the majority of that being in link form.
I only saw it when I clicked submit.
Vote Placed by mariahjane 2 years ago
mariahjane
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: ..
Vote Placed by WriterSelbe 2 years ago
WriterSelbe
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded.
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 2 years ago
jm_notguilty
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: conceded and made invalid ARGS
Vote Placed by Mr.Infidel 2 years ago
Mr.Infidel
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 2 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: Scarlet was just better overall.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conceded but had the balls to do so instead of stubbornly keep arguing like countless others have done before him....
Vote Placed by Crayzman2297 2 years ago
Crayzman2297
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con surrendered.... He also used invalid arguments.
Vote Placed by LeoL 2 years ago
LeoL
ScarletGhost4396MasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: MasterKage conceded.