Resolved: Homeschooling should remain legal with minimal or no regulations

As a homeschool student, I am in an excellent position to defend the merits of homeschooling, including one-on-one interaction, education tailored to the student's learning style/speed, and the option for parents to teach their children following their own beliefs. Con will argue that homeschooling is not beneficial and should thus be illegal or heavily regulated

Thank you for the debate.

I appreciate the fact that my opponent is homeschooled, and I wish him the best of luck. I would like now to reiterate the resolution:

"Homeschooling should remain legal with minimal or no regulations."
In this, if I can persuade the public of either option of minimal or no regulations is not good enough, then I should theoretically win this debate. By not good enough, I mean not as benificial to the child's education.

I disagree with my opponent when he says I must agrue that it is not beneficial and should be illegal. I believe all forms of education have value, but all must be regulated.

Since the age of man came about, there have been rules and structure to preform as a better species. Man-kind needs rules on all levels of functioning society in order to function at optimum levels, including home schooling. The USA is quickly falling in the educational system, and the government has been cracking down on public school's education for years. Even with the status quo rules of public schools, more must be done to improve their education.

Home schooling is on a much more personal level, and adjusts to the pace of the student. However, just because it takes place in a more personal enviornment doesn't mean it should lose it's formalcy. Education is always a serious business, and must be maintained. It should be regulated not heavily, not lightly, but just how the situation calls for. With proper regulation that isn't too minimal, as my opponent wishes, or to heavy every home schooled student can thrive.

The basis of regulation should be based on nessicity of education in a careful and well-intergrated way.

For the reasons above, I thusly urge you to

Exactly what do you propose to regulate? If you force parents to have teaching degrees to teach, that will severely limit the freedom of education. Where do you propose to regulate. I didn't say no regulations, I said few regulations. We should remove the nonsensical regulations. A case in point is the case in Massachusetts. There, a young girl was removed from her homeschooling situation and forced to attend public school. Why? Because the court stated that the parent's Christian beliefs were harmful influences on the child. So, what regulations do you propose???

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.

Con, please post your argument. Voters, please look in comments for my last argument. Simply extend my argument that few regulations are needed. Again, I just said we shouldn't have very many regulations. We shouldn't force parents to have a teaching degree, nor mandate registration or testing or intrusive inspections. Again, please post your argument, Con.

Itsallovernow forfeited this round.
Posted by Itsallovernow 5 years ago
Nor do I. That's what gave him away. He should have kept it more simple and then I'd agree :)
Posted by phantom 5 years ago
I'm home schooled and doing a debate myself on keeping home schooling legal, but I don't agree with the minimal or no regulations argument.
Posted by Koopin 5 years ago
Make this 8,000 and I'll take this on the no regulations aspect.
Posted by Koopin 5 years ago

"Homeschooling is better than public cchooling"

Ha ha, public schoolers can't spell schooling!
Posted by boredinclass 5 years ago
put the character limit to 8000 more people will take this
Posted by TUF 5 years ago
If you change the topic to "Homeschooling is better than public cchooling" I will take this.
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ALthough Pro had 2 extra speehes, he still was not able to refute con's points, conduct still goes to pro for forfeit