mackoman_93
iam_rochelle

Resolved: In the U.S. school system the block schedule is educationally advantageous.

mackoman_93

mackoman_93

Con

I will let the PRO go first, as would be the case in a real debate.
iam_rochelle

Pro

first of all the school system is disadvantageous because while we usually have at least 4 periods a day and we can have all periods a day and able to learn more at a time.
mackoman_93

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I will first address my opponent's position then move on to present my own.

While it's true that we do have more class time with the block schedule, it is not true that this equates to a more effective education. On the contrary, students learn less effectively when more is crammed into the head at one time. Longer classes does not mean better education, just the opposite [ http://www.jefflindsay.com... ]. And education is the bottom line.

On to my position...

There are several problems with the block schedule. And they are two fold. One, it is more expensive. Two, it means more class time (that one should sound familiar). I will show you how neither is conducive to learning.

Point one, the block schedule is more expensive. In hard economic times this is the last thing that we need. An example that supports this is the Albuquerque Public Schools district in New Mexico. Due to economic pressures the school system is being forced to fire hundreds of teachers. This means that class sizes will average between 30 and 40 students. This is not conducive to learning. One side effect is that teachers returning form retirement will likely be the first to go. Teachers like AP Calculus teachers who are few and far between (and were asked to come back from retirement) will be fired. Many qualified teachers will be gone. This is also not conducive to learning. This damage to the educational experience of the students is evident in the tell tail drop in SAT and ACT test scores [ http://www.jefflindsay.com... ]. Another study shows how block scheduling hurts academic achievement "studies that show academic achievement in several areas (math, biology, chemistry) may be hurt by block scheduling" [ http://www.malaria.org... ] [ http://www.sciences.drexel.edu... ].

Schools are motivated to adopt block scheduling because of the increased graduation requirements. However, the block schedule has been shown to have a negative impact on academic performance [ http://www.jefflindsay.com... ]. Additionally, a 2006 report deals with another study of block scheduling's effect on science education. The report is by Robert H. Tai, Kristen M. Dexter and Philip Michael Sadler, showed that the block was not providing an advantage, but rather had a negative impact in science.

Thus, in the end block scheduling is not educationally advantageous as it is expensive (thereby damaging the educational system), it equates to more time in class, larger class sizes and ultimately damaging academic success and accomplishment across that board. If the school system is to provide the best possible education to its constituents, then I have shown you how the block schedule it not the median for which this is to be achieved.

Thus, be the resolution Resolved: In the U.S. school system the block schedule is educationally advantageous, negated.

iam_rochelle

Pro

iam_rochelle forfeited this round.
mackoman_93

Con

My opponent has forfeited. Unless she can support the resolution in any way within the next speech I should win this debate. I have provided factual reasons in negation of the resolution, arguments that were met in silence. Thus, whether you like it or not, I urge you to vote CON.

iam_rochelle

Pro

iam_rochelle forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
<begin sermon>There was no good reason to pose this as Con. The Instigator should have posed, "Resolved: In the U.S. school system the block system is not educationally advantageous." as Pro. That could be posted with a case that would let everyone know what the subject was and why he was debating the topic. When it is posed as Con, the background and definitions should be given anyway. Without that, there is a lot of potential for gross misunderstanding of what the topic is. Some could have a completely different idea of what the block system is.

Another problem is that I recently took one of these challenges and spent a lot of time making an 8,000 word affirmative case. Then Con forfeited, wasting my time. I learned my lesson. There is too much risk that someone unwilling to prepare a case will make the effort to respond either.

All that said, it is free country and the ddo rules accommodate Con initiation. There are occasionally go reasons for it, like national debate topics and times when the Pro case is completely unknown. But it is usually not a good idea. <end sermon>
Posted by UnFascism 6 years ago
UnFascism
wow shlebear_94.....no need to get angry now :)
Posted by shlebear_94 6 years ago
shlebear_94
Cody and Lword: In a REAL debate pro does go first. That's the usual structure and it makes the most sense. The one upholding the resolution itself is the one to go first so that we get the case for the resolution itself before getting bombarded with the neg's points. If neg goes first, it's as if the pro gave a speech already that didn't support the resolution itself in any way shape or form. The point of having pro go first is so that the resolution is backed by something that the neg can destroy.
Plus, why does it matter???????? Why, Lword, can't the con say the other should go first so that he has some on case to attack rather than just the resolution in general? If pro goes first then the con gets to make a really nice oncase debate, which is SO much more interesting than just coming up with completely random neg points against the resolution. It creates more clash and a more interesting debate.
Brittwaller: Writing arguements is out of style??? What?????? Obviously con wanted to have more clash in this debate, so pro should've gone first. (and it's not like pro made much of a case, jimmyjackson. In the end, con basically had to go first anyway... sadly... making this a completely one speaker debate... How sad) I would personally consider cons speech to be arguments, although maybe you haven't read it and thus don't see anything. And if you don't like reading "challenges like this" then why do you bother reading and commenting????????????
Just a thought...
Posted by mackoman_93 6 years ago
mackoman_93
Maybe it's going out of style because of people like our good friend Cody go around and kill the debate by just finding challenges and not debating it but merely pointing out the flaws in that instigators case.
Posted by brittwaller 6 years ago
brittwaller
jimmyjackson: 10/10

It seems that actually writing arguments is going out of style. How many challenges like this have I seen? Way too many.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
mackoman_93, I have no idea what you are talking about. It would be nice if you would explain it and make a case.
Posted by Danielle 6 years ago
Danielle
"I will let the PRO go first, as would be the case in a real debate."

As Cody said, Pro does not always go first. The INSTIGATOR goes first. And if it bothers you so much, why not start a debate with the resolution: In the U.S. school system, the block schedule is NOT educationally advantageous (that way you can go first and be Pro)? I find the whole "I'll let the other person go first" thing to be such a cop out.
Posted by jonpistone2 6 years ago
jonpistone2
im new here....and looking to have some friendly debates.....anyone interested??

Loserboi -- i noticed you and i dont agree on every issue...care to debate?
or how about you JimmyJackson???
Posted by jonpistone2 6 years ago
jonpistone2
Would enjoy debating here but--what are you debating between??
are you looking for someone to debate "pro" -- block scheduling is GOOD for education in the US?!?!
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
I hate block schedule when I am the first to take the class everyone just asks me the questions that were on the test during my block day and score a lot higher than my class on the 2nd block day.
Vote Placed by mackoman_93 6 years ago
mackoman_93
mackoman_93iam_rochelleTied
Vote Placed by UnFascism 6 years ago
UnFascism
mackoman_93iam_rochelleTied