williamfoote
ScarletAtheist

Resolved: Just governments ought to require that employers pay a living wage.

williamfoote

williamfoote

Con

*THIS DEBATE IS IN LINCOLN-DOUGLAS DEBATE FORMAT(WITHOUT THE ODD SPEAKING TIMES)! IF YOU ARE UNAWARE OF WHAT THAT ENTAILS, PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE.*The format for this debate will be:NEG 1(this one): Details of debate (i.e. rules, etc.)AFF 1: Constructive Case. Present the case, and definitions.NEG 2: Present the case, NO REFUTATIONS.AFF 2: Refute the Neg case. NEG 3: Refute the Aff case.AFF 3: Refute Neg case/refutations one final time and present voting issues.Neg 4: Refute Aff case/refutations one final time and present voting issues.Aff 4: NO REFUTATIONS, LEAVE BLANK OR FORFEIT.I expect a value/value criterion, by the way. Notice the small character amount allowed. Please type your speech on a third party site (i.e. Google Drive) and post the link. This is beneficial because you can save your work easier. Thanks.
ScarletAtheist

Pro

Just governments should require employers to give a living wage to their employees. If we are arguing from an ethical standpoint, this is true. To start off, we need to define a living wage: a regularized payment in which the person being paid can maintain a normal standard of living. A normal standard of living is the level of prosperity, comfort, material goods, and essentials obtainable in a given class. In my opinion, a person"s living wage should be dependent on that person's ability to work and how well they do their work. This is quite different from what I feel a minimum wage should be: the lowest required and permitted wage given to a person for their work and ability. To wrap-up nicely, purely from a moral obligation to its people, a government should require employers to give their employees a living wage.
williamfoote

Con

My opponenent did not pay attention to any of the guidelines. He/She did not produce and Lincoln Douglas debate attributes and didn't use a third party source.
ScarletAtheist

Pro

I assume this round is not going to be used for debate. To my opponent, I apologize for not holding to how you felt the debate structure should have been, or what it should be; you cannot truly do an L.D. debate on an internet forum. As for not using a third party to write my response, I didn't use one as it was unnecessary for me to due to the length of my statement.
williamfoote

Con

williamfoote forfeited this round.
ScarletAtheist

Pro

ScarletAtheist forfeited this round.
williamfoote

Con

williamfoote forfeited this round.
ScarletAtheist

Pro

ScarletAtheist forfeited this round.
Posted by ScarletAtheist 2 years ago
ScarletAtheist
If my opponent is annoyed with the fact I didn't abide by the setup of an L.D. style debate, I apologize. The structure of a debate should not matter, only the content of which the debate is about, and the points of both contention and disagreement, and support for our arguments.

ScarletAtheist
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
@zaradi, thanks I'll ask next time I see a topic I'm interested in.
Posted by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
Both of you two realize that you can jsut ask me and I can walk you through the basics right?
Posted by Malacoda 2 years ago
Malacoda
I know, that is miserable. My value criterion is why do you have to make this so hard?
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I hate the fact that I don't know what the hell a Lincoln Douglas debate is.
Posted by AminTheDebater 2 years ago
AminTheDebater
Hello! I am a high school Lincoln Douglas Debater, i'm eager to accept your challenge, but I can not as of now. When I find the time tonight I will accept, please wait for me :)
Posted by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
I'm interested too, though I don't want to be caught off guard by anything specific to the Lincoln-Douglas format. (I'm not familiar with it either.)
Posted by Jzyehoshua 2 years ago
Jzyehoshua
Interesting debate but am not familiar with the Lincoln Douglas format.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
What is a living wage? If a person eats $300.00 a week in food, then he needs $1200.00 a ,month just for food.Now each of our lifestyles should dictate how much we want to earn. And it should be up to the individual to increase his worth to an employer to match that lifestyle he wants. Never should be forced on an employer by government.

Real men do not sit around waiting for government to increase their wages.They take that responsibility on themselves.
Vote Placed by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
williamfooteScarletAtheistTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not follow the guidelines. Equal number of forfeits cancel out.