CoachSafe12
beedebate

Resolved: Lincoln Douglas Debate resolutions ought to be free from all restrictions.

CoachSafe12
Started: 1/19/2010 Category: Arts

CoachSafe12

Con

The resolution is suggesting that resolutions should be open to all topics, even the most severe (abortion, euthanasia, etc.). The question involves if there is any material to which high school students should not be exposed. I am taking the stance that LD resolutions ought to be limited.
beedebate

Pro

hi,
I have done ld but i am currently doing public forum...so i know the rules!
--------------------------------------
FIRST) Lincoln Douglas debate is a category in which many resolutions are based on values and morals.

RESOLVED: Lincoln Douglas Debate resolutions ought to be free from all restrictions.

Lincoln–Douglas Debate (commonly abbreviated as LD Debate, or simply LD) is sometimes also called values debate because it traditionally places a heavy emphasis on logic, ethical values, and philosophy. It is a type of American high school one-on-one debate practiced in National Forensic League competitions, and widely used in related debate leagues such as the National Catholic Forensic League, National Educational Debate Association, the National Christian Forensics and Communication Association, the UIL, and their affiliated regional organizations. All but a few tournaments use the current NFL resolution. The Lincoln-Douglas Debate format is named for the 1858 Lincoln-Douglas Debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas because their debates were centered around slavery and the morals, values, and logic behind it.

Contention 1:
All topics are supposed to be proven that the resolution is true/false or the desirability/undesirability of a side.
All resolutions are hand chosen for every month. Since LD is based on values and morals it already limits the amount of topics. For example merit pay is out of that category. However it would make more sense to be about compulsory immunization. So that is one problem. The other is many topics are very "touchy." Yes, there have been many "touchy" subjects, but the point of the fact is it would not be fair. You can have evidence, or beliefs. But since the judges for all regular debate tournaments are volunteers, they can judge on whether they believe that person presented it well or whether they like the topic or not. Yes not all judges cheat but however it can be very unfair. Or if the student may not agree on the topic, and could be uncomfortable they do not need the extra pressure. Therefore Lincoln Douglas resolutions ought to be limited.

(Next round I will give you my second contention!)
-love the picture we are a huge hockey family ;)
CoachSafe12

Con

I apologize, BeeDebate, but you must have misunderstood the Pro's position. The resolution states that LD Resolutions ought to be free from limitations. I am the Con, meaning it is MY job to argue that LD Resolutions should be limited. And it is your job as the Pro to argue that LD Resolutions should be free from any restrictions (In other words, it's your job to argue that it is acceptable for a high schooler to be forced to argue that abortion is moral, when the student believes with every moral fiber in his body that it is immoral). Therefore, your first contention flows to my side of the case. I'm not sure if we are able to re-start the debate, but you've unfortunately already conceded to my argument.

(Hockey is great, isn't it!?! Not many people understand how great it truly is, but it's definitely the best sport).
beedebate

Pro

beedebate forfeited this round.
CoachSafe12

Con

My opponent forfeited her refutation of my claims that she was arguing the wrong side of the resolution. Therefore, my point still stands. There is no need to elaborate further or to waste your time.
beedebate

Pro

beedebate forfeited this round.
CoachSafe12

Con

beedebate

Pro

beedebate forfeited this round.
CoachSafe12

Con

CoachSafe12 forfeited this round.
beedebate

Pro

beedebate forfeited this round.
Posted by tbtaylor 7 years ago
tbtaylor
Go coach safe!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by elizabethPC 7 years ago
elizabethPC
woooooooooooooo! hockey is quite amazing.! and good luck on you debate coach. if you want to restart because they misunderstood, you can retype your topic and forfeit then other debate.
Posted by CoachSafe12 7 years ago
CoachSafe12
Toast, I would accept those terms if the round hadn't already started.
Posted by ToastOfDestiny 7 years ago
ToastOfDestiny
I'll accept if you agree that resolutions would still be debate related, and not say forcin teens to look at a pornographic image and dvide whether it is moral.
Vote Placed by tbtaylor 7 years ago
tbtaylor
CoachSafe12beedebateTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
CoachSafe12beedebateTied