Jordeef
emospongebob527

Resolved: Lincoln was overall a bad President

Jordeef

Jordeef

Pro

I will be arguing that Abraham Lincoln was overall a bad President based off of the events that he was directly responsible for during his Presidency. My opponent will attempt to counter my arguments using evidence of Abraham Lincoln's actions as well.

Con must argue that Abraham Lincoln was overall a good President. To be a bad President means that his actions were harmful towards the preservation of the original Constitution, human life, and freedom.

Round 1 will be for acceptance of the debate and common formalities. Rounds 2-3 will be for the bulk of the debate.
emospongebob527

Con

Jordeef

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate challenge.

Lincoln was overall a bad President. I will delineate how two of his actions reveal him as such: he suspended the writ of Habeas Corpus, and prolonged a devastating war at the cost of thousands of lives. The first of which makes for a bad President because of the inhibition of freedom, the latter because of the sanctity of human life.

In September of 1863 President Abraham Lincoln suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus. The proclamation ordered that, "all rebels and insurgents, their aiders and abettors within the United States, and all persons discouraging volunteer enlistments, resisting militia drafts, or guilty of any disloyal practice, affording aid or comfort to rebels against the authority of the United States, shall be subject to martial law and liable to trial and punishment by courts martial or military commission," Lincoln claimed that his action to suspend Habeas Corpus was constitution regardless of the Constitution's assertion that only Congress has the authority to suspend the writ. Lincoln's claim was that the Constitution did not explicitly state which power, executive or legislative, had the authority to exercise the power. This claim is surreptitious and dubious in its very essence.

President Abraham Lincoln prolonged the Civil War and manipulated the American people into believing that it would only end if slavery ended. During the days prior to the passing of the 13th Amendment, the war was winding down. However, Lincoln didactically resolved that the South would not be allowed to return into the Union without first ending slavery as a whole. This was an unnecessary action. Slavery is a great blight upon human history, but in the case of America, it was only a matter of time until industrialization and human sentiment precipitated the extinction in America of this antiquated sin. By issuing his ultimatum, Abraham Lincoln caused the destruction of thousands of American lives. It is very likely that slavery would have been abolished in their lifetime, had they lived; as you may know, the seemingly heretical concept of Women's Suffrage (during the 1860's) was passed into law only 27 years after the end of the Civil War. It is exceedingly likely that the thousands of men, both Northern and Confederate, who died during the latter years of the Civil War would have lived to see the day the slaves were set free.

Sources: 1. http://civilwartalk.com...
2. http://quod.lib.umich.edu...
3. http://www.freerepublic.com...
4. http://books.google.com...
emospongebob527

Con

emospongebob527 forfeited this round.
Jordeef

Pro

Abraham Lincoln was overall a bad President based off of the events that he was directly responsible for during his Presidency. I have proven this in the previous round. Con apparently does not see this debate as worth his time to respond to, as he has not attempted to refute any of my claims. If he does decide to post a rebuttal, I would ask that he notify me before he posts so I can extend the number of rounds. In the contingency of his continued absence, it will be assumed that he has conceded defeat, and I will assume all votes.
Posted by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
You would think CON could spell three words right.

"Alright" is not a word.
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 4 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Jordeefemospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture by Con results in a victory for Pro.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
Jordeefemospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Atrocious conduct by CON. What he did was worse than an unintentional forfeit. Was looking forward to a good debate on this topic, especially given that PRO took such a tough stance to defend. I feel robbed by CON's bad conduct.
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
Jordeefemospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: con forfeited and pro had more sources
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Jordeefemospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I could use some celery right now.