blond_guy
polka-dots323

Resolved: McCain will not be president, even if Hillary is the democratic nominee.

blond_guy

Pro

I'm glad that I can say this with conviction. McCain will not be president. He's like Bush all over again. Except that "I'm moderate" story isn't going to work for McCain. Conservatives AND Liberals don't like him. Even Ann Coulter said she'd vote for Hillary or Obama over McCain. Not to mention the president's 30% apporval rating and the so unpopular war in Iraq which McCain wants to keep for as long as it takes (and I quote, "maybe 100 years").

Resolved: McCain won't be the next president of the United States.
polka-dots323

Con

First off I would like to thank you for starting this debate. :)

"I'm glad that I can say this with conviction. McCain will not be president. "

From this statement, I can conclude that you are positive that McCain will not be the next president. But how do you know for sure? We have not voted yet, therefore we have no idea. It is as simple as that. Who thought that Huckabee would win the Iowa Caucus? It was unexpected and a big win for him.

"He's like Bush all over again."

Mr. McCain does have the same ideas as President Bush, but he is a totally different man. Just because you have the same ideas as somebody else does not mean that you are the same person. Also, McCain was in war so he knows what it is like and what happens. In fact, I don't believe that Clinton nor Obama were in war, and their viewpoints are to take the troops out almost immediately. This will have severe effects on both the US and the countries we are in at the moment such as Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran. Also, the war is benefiting the countries and improving them tremendously. But, this is not a debate on the war nor on whether or not President Bush was a good president or even if Mr. McCain
would make a good president. It is simply ," McCain will not be president, even if Hillary is the democratic nominee."

Again, I ask how do you know? We have not yet voted so therefore there is no evidence showing that he will certainly not be the next president.

"Conservatives AND Liberals don't like him. "

Not all. You posted this statement as though every single conservative and liberal hates Mr. McCain. This is not true. McCain is the leading Republican in the race, so I am guessing that he is getting votes. :) Also, it is all a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong answer. So far, McCain has 974 delegates. Actually, many people all over the US support McCain. That was not a good statement to make.

"so unpopular war in Iraq which McCain wants to keep for as long as it takes"

This is irrelevent. For, this is not a debate over the Iraq War. These are his beliefs, and many people agree with him and think that he could lead the country in the right direction.

I will conclude this argument with, even though my opponent has stated that many people do not like McCain, that is true with every single candidate. No one has 100% of the votes. My opponent has failed to support his "fact" that McCain is certainly going to loose. I await your response.
blond_guy

Pro

Okay polka-dots323, so your argument is that, no one can be 100% sure. Well I'm more than 80% sure. And I think that's pretty good. When I said "Conservatives AND Liberals don't like him." I didn't mean all. I meant that McCain started acting more liberal than the regular Republican and he lost votes from conservatives without winning votes from liberals. Bush's approval rating has many people thinking that if you are a Republican, you are automatically evil. Hillary and Obama (mostly Obama) have received more than 10 times the attention from the media than what McCain is getting. He's doesn't represent change as much Hillary and Obama do and that's what people are voting for, change. McCain wants to stay in Iraq, no change. McCain is being called a traitor by Conservatives and a flip-flopper by Liberals because of his vote against the bill that would stop the C.I.A.'s harsh interrogations. I'm not saying he has no chance, I'm saying saying that it doesn't look like he'll be president.
polka-dots323

Con

"Well I'm more than 80% sure. "

"Resolved: McCain will not be president, even if Hillary is the democratic nominee."

From the above statements you have made, one can conclude that your thesis statement and parts in your debate began with, "Resolved: McCain will not be president." to "Well I'm more than 80% sure."

The topic of this debate is that in fact McCain will not be president. It doesn't say probably not. Therefore, you must prove to me that McCain is definitely not going to be president. You can say, "Well many people don't agree with him," and things, but that is true with all candidates.

"Hillary and Obama (mostly Obama) have received more than 10 times the attention from the media than what McCain is getting. "

I agree (probably not 10 times but..). This is because an African American male is running and a woman is running. Both could create history. The media brings you up and then tears you down. Also, who said that it was all good media coverage???

This does not prove that somebody will vote for a person just because they get m ore media coverage. Again, this is off topic and not relevant to your thesis.

My opponent has failed to show me why McCain is certainly not going to be president, which is what his side of the debate is.
blond_guy

Pro

"This does not prove that somebody will vote for a person just because they get more media coverage"

That's what happened to Ron Paul and that's why his supporters' slogan was "google Ron Paul!"

McCain will certainly not be president because there are more registered democrats than registered republicans and the independents have been voting on democratic nominations. It's resolved, and when McCain loses the election you'll see I am right.
polka-dots323

Con

"That's what happened to Ron Paul and that's why his supporters' slogan was "google Ron Paul!"

This may have been true in his case, but he was pretty much unknown before the race and the publicity. Pretty much all of the United States I would say knows that Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton are running due to the fact that both can make history. Also, this is off topic.

"McCain will certainly not be president because there are more registered democrats than registered republicans and the independents have been voting on democratic nominations. It's resolved, and when McCain loses the election you'll see I am right."

This may be true (the fact that there are more registered democrats than republicans) but how do you know that if somebody who was hoping for Clinton to be the nominee and was against Obama would not vote for McCain? You do not know. Also, not all independents are going to vote democrat.

"when McCain loses the election you'll see I am right."

I may or may not. The election has not been held yet, has it?

I will close with this: I do not believe that we can be certain that McCain will loose the election. No matter what you say, you cannot prove that McCain is certainly, without a doubt going to win. Although, many of you may believe that McCain should not be the next president, as much as you wish, it cannot be proven. Who though that Huckabee would win the Iowa Caucus?!? Overall, my opponent has yet to give me one good hard fact as to why he is certain that McCain will not win. He is still the front-runner on the republican side and has a chance to win just as all the candidates left do. Thank you for the debate and I hope that the voters will vote on who made the better arguemnt rather than on whose side they agree with. Thanks again! :)
Posted by C-Mach 8 years ago
C-Mach
"He's like Bush all over again."

You got that right! Even though he is like the aforementioned liberal Republican, I would rather have him over Hillary or Obama.
Posted by mrjpb104 9 years ago
mrjpb104
if Clinton is the Dems nominee then McCain has a great chance of winning. He will get the growing independent vote (independent registration is growing more than Dems or GOP) because Clinton is too liberal for them. Also Republicans despise her so much that they will all vote for McCain just to make sure she doesn't win. Oh and not all Republicans are ultra-conservative like Rush Limbaugh, so don't be stereotypical in saying he can't get the vote of the base. He's getting like 60% in national GOP polls, so he's obviously fine. He stands no chance against Obama though, mostly because of money and following.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I hate to break the news to you Blond guy , I know many Republicans that are still registered as Democrats but have not changed their party. Why do this you may ask? Well its simple really. I along with many of my family and friends do not like Obama. If they stay as Democrats they vote in the primary for Hilary (which they did) therefore Hilary gets votes (for example she won my state) and makes it one more vote against Obama. So do not get overconfident by presuming that people vote for the party they are registered.
Posted by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
@ blond guy

Remember, when you are "Pro" you have the burden of proof(a rule indicating that the affirmative has the responsibility to establish the validity of the claim made by the resolution; the resolution is presumed invalid until the affirmative establishes otherwise). You could of won, but as Con pointed out you did not fulfill this burden and therefore automatically lose
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
You're right nitrogen85, not to mention Ann Coulter, I was shocked when I saw her sympathizing with Hillary!

Vinavinx, then why do you think he won't be president?
Posted by nitrogen85 9 years ago
nitrogen85
If I were for McCain, I would take you up on this debate. However, although I am Republican, I do realize that more than likely, Obama will win. There is one thing you are overlooking. It isn't just McCains views that are going to prevent him from winning if it does, it's also social conservatives such as Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh is a very popular social conservative, who is the most popular right wing radio host. When he talks, people flock around him, and listen. They almost team up and attack McCain together.
Posted by vinavinx 9 years ago
vinavinx
I agree with you on your overall opinion. However, i believe the only reason he wont win is because liberals and conservatives hate him. all the other reasons i do not agree with.
Vote Placed by out_n_proud_HINDU 8 years ago
out_n_proud_HINDU
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by claypigeon 8 years ago
claypigeon
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by rawritsmichelle 8 years ago
rawritsmichelle
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by nitrogen85 9 years ago
nitrogen85
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by Out_and_Proud 9 years ago
Out_and_Proud
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by RonPaul08 9 years ago
RonPaul08
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by mrjpb104 9 years ago
mrjpb104
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by jlma_ad 9 years ago
jlma_ad
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by flyingtuna420 9 years ago
flyingtuna420
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by bigdog 9 years ago
bigdog
blond_guypolka-dots323Tied