1dustpelt
Poisant

Resolved: Microsoft Surface will likely top the iPad in sales

Started: 8/16/2012 Category: Technology

1dustpelt

Con

Round 1 for acceptance.
Poisant

Pro

First let me tell you the vignette - sir Steve jobs once said why one would want a third device if they already have desktop and phone.But when Walt mossberg from allthingsd asked sir Bill Gates he said tablets is the next device in future.

iPad's approach toward tablet according to me is that tablet is a device which makes it very easy to take out the information,carry that information around and having amazing detailed user interface.according to apple handwriting is a dump idea because people can type faster than writing at the present moment than early days of computer era.they also went against NetBook precisely a cheaper notebook by introducing MacBook air.

Now Microsoft who believed in tablets before apple are now coming with their own hardware software combination tablet 'microsoft surface'.
First let's keep configuration apart and see,
Ms surface has a built in keyboard with Mouse like a laptop mouse and also obviously touch screen and I forgot yeah a back panel which is a rational idea.

See vignette again,
Apple effaced netbooks by MacBook air saying it's thinner than any laptop which can fit inside an envelope,and easy to carry,easy to work because it's a mini work machine having less configuration than MacBook pro and great display.
So here it is - easy carry,keyboard,display,thinner,sexy,desktop softwares.
Now iPad's turn,apple introduced iPad saying a third category of device,which is easy to Carry,no mess with keyboard,amazing gestures,and display.
So here it is - easy to carry,virtual keyboard,display,thinner,sexy,desktop softwares don't run.
(I'm not considering configurations I' talking in general sense)

Apple says 90% people use iPad to take information out.It is really difficult to write blog from iPad.
So let's segregate surface from ipad,
1) Surface �can actually be your NetBook without those flaws which apple pointed in the past.
2) you can actually do most of our work on the go.Those 90% people can also join party of and start editing their important docs sitting in cafeteria.
3) most of the worlds best games are available for PC,their is a great chance to transform those games mini version to surface.
4) having a physical keyboard with MOUSE can actually attract business people to show off their multi purpose device in meetings.
5) MSFT's work in keyboards in past and present elucidates how awesome that thinner sexy keyboard is going to be in ms surface.
6) when you are lying on bed just use it as tablet no keyboard no wires just your figures and browse things around.
7) so it is more than iPad in simple words.
So that is how Microsoft Surface will likely top the iPad in sales unless they fail in sales department and advertising.
1dustpelt

Con

1dustpelt forfeited this round.
Poisant

Pro

Poisant forfeited this round.
1dustpelt

Con

1dustpelt forfeited this round.
Poisant

Pro

Poisant forfeited this round.
1dustpelt

Con

1dustpelt forfeited this round.
Poisant

Pro

Poisant forfeited this round.
1dustpelt

Con

Sorry for the forfeits, I had left DDO, now that I came back, I will post.

"iPad's approach toward tablet according to me is that tablet is a device which makes it very easy to take out the information,carry that information around and having amazing detailed user interface.according to apple handwriting is a dump idea because people can type faster than writing at the present moment than early days of computer era.they also went against NetBook precisely a cheaper notebook by introducing MacBook air."

I am asssumming by "dump", my opponent meant "dumb". From what I can decipher, my opponent is saying the iPad is a dumb idea because people can type faster on a netbook. However the iPad has been a very successful device and many companies are trying to challenge it. Clearly, it is not "dumb".

"Microsoft who believed in tablets before apple are now coming with their own hardware software combination tablet 'microsoft surface'.
Ms surface has a built in keyboard with Mouse like a laptop mouse and also obviously touch screen and I forgot yeah a back panel which is a rational idea."

The keyboard is not built in, it is attatched to the cover. And no, it does not have a mouse. There are also attatchable covers for the iPad too.

" See vignette again,

So let's segregate surface from ipad,
1) Surface can actually be your NetBook without those flaws which apple pointed in the past."
The Surface Pro can be an alternative to a high end ultrabook, however the RT version will just be a tablet. I agree with you and concede this point.

iPads can do exactly the same thing. There is no essential difference between the iPad and the Surface other than the OS.

Yet the games are only for computers and the desktop environment. The programs availible for the Surface RT will be the Metro Apps from the App Store, which is a very small market right now.

Again, there is no mouse. The keyboard is just an accessocory, which the iPad has too.

I do not know what your point is, but again, the iPad has keyboards, etc. accesecorries too.

Exactly what an iPad does.

My Arguments

1. Even if the Microsoft Surface is better than the iPad, it does not mean it will top it in sales. Most of my opponent's arguments are about how the Microsoft Surface is better than the iPad.

2. The iPad controls 87% of the tablet market. The iPad is a well known device and many people would continue using the iPad since most people already use iPads.

3. The price of the iPad is $499, while the Microsoft Surface RT is estamated to cost about $599 and the Pro to cost $999 dollars.
4. The Surface is Wifi-only. This would discourage people who use their devices to connect to the internet anywhere.

http://news.cnet.com...;
http://news.cnet.com...#!

I apoligize for this fail debate, I left DDO and came back, with only five minutes left to post.

Poisant

Pro

Poisant forfeited this round.
Posted by Poisant 5 years ago
Poisant
@1dustpelt : come on dont you like technology.
Posted by Poisant 5 years ago
Poisant
Forgive me my English not good cause it's not the primary language of mine.
Posted by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
What Recliner said.
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
please.... the only way someone would accept this is if they dont pay attention to the fact that youre con and they think they would be debating as con....
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
I'm very tempted, apart from this would becoming a third ongoing debate...
Posted by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
Come on! Nobody likes technology? :(