Rinexe
SaintTobias

Resolved: North Korea poses a more serious threat to United States national security than Iran.

Rinexe

Pro

The debate will begin Round 2. I will start with a brief introduction.

I will start by saying that I am Rinexe, and I will be for the resolution. I thank con for allowing me to start this debate with him.
SaintTobias

Con

My name is Tobias and apparently I'm a Saint. And apparently I think Iran is worse than North Korea.
Rinexe

Pro

Rinexe forfeited this round.
SaintTobias

Con

SaintTobias forfeited this round.
Rinexe

Pro

Resolved: North Korea poses a more serious threat to United States National Security than Iran. We are on the affirmative side for several reasons. I'll start by stating my contentions.

Contention One: US Relationships with its allies are extremely important to the US interests and national security.
Contention Two: North Korea's strategy is to threaten all US allies to get the US to fail on its promises to protect its allies.
Contention Three: North Korea poses a threat to US ally South Korea.
Contention Four: North Korea is causing an arms race with US allies, thereby threatening US national security.

In my first contention, we briefly stated the importance of our allies. In order to elaborate, I will say that they help us defeat global threats and without these allies, our national security would be weakened. Why? The white house released a National Security Strategy that explains:
Our country possesses the attributes that have supported our leadership for decades-sturdy alliances, an unmatched military, the world's largest economy, and evolving democracy, and a dynamic citizenry. Going forward, there should be no doubt: The United States of America will continue to underwrite global security-through our commitments to allies, partners, and institutions; our focus on defeating a;-Qaeda and its affiliated in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and around the globe; and our determination to deter aggression and prevent the proliferation of the world's most dangerous weapons. As we do, we must recognize that no one nation- no matter how powerful-can meets global challenges alone. As we did after World War II, America must prepare for the future, while forging cooperative approaches among nations that can yield results. American interests are enduring. They include the security of the United States, its citizens, and U.S. allies and partners.

In my second contention, we give North Korea's strategy. To threaten our allies and get America to fail in our promises. In Donald Kirk's article "How Big is a threat is North Korea?" in The Christian Science Monitor on May 28, 2010, it explains that short of having the ability to reach US territory, part of North Korea's strategy may be to become enough of a threat to its neighbors, that the US will be hesitant to commit to defending them, says Sheila Smith, the senior fellow for Japan studies at the Council on Foreign Relations.

My Third point is that North Korea poses a threat to our ally South Korea. Anne Gearan speaks of this in an article entitled, "Robert Gates: North Korea will pose direct threat to U.S.," in The Huffington Post on January, 11, 2011:
The Risk of war on the Korean Peninsula is also rising because South Koreans are "fed up" with provocation and harassment from the North, Gates said. We consider this a situation of real concern and we think there is some urgency to proceeding down the track of negotiations and engagement," he said. North Korea is accused of sinking a South Korean Navy ship last spring, killing 46 sailors, and it fired artillery at a disputed island in November, killing four South Koreans. The South's "tolerance for not responding" is nearly gone; Gates told reports in China, which is North Korea's only ally. "Clearly, if there is another provocation, there will be pressure on the South Korean government to react, Gates said. Gates said he thanked Chinese President Hu Jintao and others he saw here for reining in North Korea, and asked China to keep leaning on the fellow communist state.

Our final point is the arms race between our allies and enemies, which would especially threaten our national security. Continuing Kirk's article, he says:
Might North Korea inspire a nuclear arms race? Japan and Taiwan are believed to be well on their way to acquiring all the expertise needed to develop nuclear devices of their own. They both have nuclear power plants and scientists and engineers with vast experience in the field. The emergence of North Korea as a nuclear power could spur them to cast aside restraints and go nuclear militarily. South Korea also may be tempted though the US over the years has severely restrained South Korean scientists.

So, because Iran does not pose the same security threats to US allies as does North Korea, the resolution is obviously true.

I would also like to move that in your next response, you ask a series of questions, and I will answer, followed by my argument and a series of questions which you will answer. Then, post your argument, and there will be no more questions.
SaintTobias

Con

SaintTobias forfeited this round.
Rinexe

Pro

Extend arguments.
SaintTobias

Con

SaintTobias forfeited this round.
SaintTobias

Con

SaintTobias forfeited this round.
Posted by anonymouse 6 years ago
anonymouse
I vote con, his Saint point has been extended