merciless
JrRepublican

Resolved: North Korea poses a more serious threat to United States national security than Iran.

merciless

merciless

Pro

This debate is a public forum debate. I will expect my opponent to know the rules of public forum before the debate starts in Round 2. If my opponent has any questions, he/she may ask in Round 1.
JrRepublican

Con

I'm new to this, so what are the rules of the public forum? Also, we must debate quickly, or I may not have access tothe website within 24 hours.
merciless

Pro

A debate in public forum is composed of a first speech followed by a crossfire (opponents ask each other questions to try to prove each other wrong), then a second speech followed by a crossfire. The first speech is where you lay out your contentions. The second speech can be used to add additional points, support previous points, and/or rebut your opponent's points. There's stuff afterward, but all you need to know is what I've said thus far.

I will begin my first speech now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With perceived threats everywhere, the United States needs to know what the most serious threat is to effectively defend national security. I favor the resolution because of 3 reasons, which I will list here.

Contention 1: North Korea has developed nuclear weapons, while Iran is several years from developing them

According to TASS, North Korea has uranium enrichment facilities that violate UN Security Council law. In other words, North Korea has the capability to produce uranium enriched enough to produce atomic bombs. At the same time, Trend Daily News reports that snap inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency have found no evidence that Iran was producing nuclear weapons. In fact, Israel reports that Iran won't have the capability to produce nuclear weapons until at least 2015. If any country that makes nuclear weapons is a threat, then it makes sense to say that a country that is closer to making a nuke is more of a threat than the country that has a long way to go before they can successfully make one. North Korea is much closer to making a nuke than Iran. Therefore it only makes sense to say that North Korea is a greater threat to US national security than Iran.

Contention 2: North Korea has ballistic missiles and biochemical weapons, which pose a much greater threat than the terror groups that Iran support

National security today seems to be all about stopping terrorism. People panic when someone wears a shirt with the word "bomb" on it. People are sent to Gitmo because of suspected terrorist intentions. People blame Wiki Leaks for giving classified information to terrorists. True, terrorism is a threat, and Iran is a terror group supporter, but the threat that Iran poses with its terror groups is dwarfed by North Korea's ballistic missile technology and biochemical weapons. North Korea has anthrax, the same bacteria some terrorists used in the Anthrax Scare in the US. But unlike the terrorists, who have to send granulated anthrax by letter, North Korea can send them as a warhead on a ballistic missile. Which is more dangerous? Which spreads disease faster: explosives or snail mail?
North Korea also has chemical weapons that terrorists have no hope of getting their hands on. According to Popular Mechanics, "most assessments of North Korea's WMD capabilities point to a chemical weapons stockpile of some 5000 tons of agents, including large amounts of sarin, mustard gas and hydrogen cyanide. That would make it one of the largest chemical arsenals in the world." In war, most casualties are not from battle or shelling, but disease, radiation, and gas. North Korea has all of these. Terrorists only have diseases.
And let's not forget why there is so much hype on terrorism today. Some terror group that calls themselves Al Qaeda imitated the Japanese kamikazes of World War II and felled the Twin Towers. If the terrorists can do that, so can North Korea. North Korea has more planes than the terrorists, and they don't have to use our planes to do damage like the terrorists do.

In short, North Korea can do anything that the terrorists can do, and more. Please vote PRO.
JrRepublican

Con

JrRepublican forfeited this round.
merciless

Pro

JrRepublican, please post your first speech in round 3 and your first crossfire and second speech in round 4. I will post my crossfire and second speech in round 4 as well. My response to your second crossfire in round 5 will be in the comments section.
JrRepublican

Con

While my opponent presents a convincing argument regarding the ballistic/nuclear capacities of North Korea as opposed to Iran, he neglects to deal with the issue of the ideologies present in both regimes. While it is true that North Korea, as a primarily communist nation, is economically opposed to the United States, the much more dangerous threat comes from the radical Islamic militants in Iran. The jihadists, while not militarily equal to the North Koreans, are certainly more prone to using their military resources against this country. North Korea does have increased military capacity but has thus far no distinct reason for using them. Iran, however, is a country controlled by Sharia law and the radical Islamic faction. The Islamic jihadists believe that, as the Koran says, Christians, Jews, and their supporters are infidels, and the Koran commands faithful Muslims to kill infidels. There can be no more convincing ideological motivation that the violent demands of a radical religion. The general ideological base of Iranian terrorists is the general reason that Iran is more dangerous to the United States than North Korea. Note: I am not saying that all Muslims are radical murderers, just that the ones that control Iran are fundamentalist jihadists (not to mention their leader, Mahmoud Amedinijad, bordering on insanity). Please vote con.
merciless

Pro

There is a couple things wrong with my opponent's argument, as I will point out in here.
This is the crossfire. I will ask a few questions. Please answer these questions next round.

1. Does it make sense to say that the militarily weaker country is more of a threat?
2. Knowing that al Qaeda and Iran practice opposite branches of Islam, and that most Muslims aren't murderers, does it make sense to say that Iran is dangerous because of jihadists (al Qaeda)?
3. If the Koran states that Christians and Jews are infidels, and that infidels need to be killed, then why isn't the whole Muslim population in the jihad with al Qaeda?
4. Even if Iran was controlled by jihadists, their war is against Israel. Why would they attack the US?
JrRepublican

Con

Regarding the first question: The question posed in this debate is about which nation is more of a threat, not which nation is militarily stronger. If you continued your argument out, one might say that Canada or the UK are great threats, but this is not the case, since they are not antagonistic to the US. Regarding question two: I never said that most Muslims are murderers, just that the ones in power (thus controlling the resources) are. And we're not just talking about Al Qaeda, what about Hamas? Regarding question three: The whole Muslim population is either unaware of the commands of radical Islam or tends to ignore the, shall we say, distasteful parts? Regarding question four: They would attack the US because the US is an ally of Israel.

My crossfire has the following questions:
1. Is the debate about military strength or military threat?
2. Even if North Korea has a stronger military, you need to consider whether they are likely to attack.
3. Ideologies play a large part in global relations, don't they?
4. And isn't the Iranian ideology more likely to be anti-American?
merciless

Pro

Answers:
1. Military threat has a lot to do wit military strength. There is no way to execute threats if there is no strength to back them up.
2. You have provided no evidence that says they aren't likely to attack.
3. Yes they do. North Korea hates the US for supporting South Korea just as much as Iran hates us for supporting Israel.
4. No, it isn't. This is apparent because there haven't been any attacks on the US from Shiites.

Now I'll start my second speech. First I'll rebut my opponent's points, then I'll support my own.
During the last crossfire, my opponent claimed that it was the country with harmful intentions, and not the country with the strong military, that is threatening. In some cases he is right, as one would trust a police officer with a handgun, but not an unarmed mugger, but in this debate he is wrong. The Soviet Union was feared not for its ideology, which was against the capitalist system of the West, but for its mighty military strength, which rivaled the US. Today, North Korea is much stronger militarily than Iran, as I've proven in my first speech with a description of their proliferation abilities and their arsenal of biochemical weapons. As with the Cold War era, it's the militarily strong country and not the one that wants a fight to the death that is a threat.
My opponent also said that the Muslim population as a whole was either unaware of the commands of radical Islam or ignores the distasteful parts. Last time I checked, most people know and embrace everything in their religion: believing in a Creator, not believing in evolution, and other things, and most people don't follow a religion that supports murder. The only explanation for radical Islam is that it's a separate branch for the ignorant and violent. Al Qaeda belongs in this group. My opponent has not shown that Iran does as well, and even if he did, he has no evidence to prove that Iran's enemy is the US and not just Israel.
My opponent also assumes that because Iran is an enemy of Israel and we are an ally of Israel, we are an enemy of Iran. This is simply not true. In the Vietnam War, we were allies with South Vietnam, but were not enemies with North Vietnam until we decided to join the war and use bombers against them. Likewise, we are not Iran's enemies until we decide to act against them.

My opponent has not refuted any of my points, so I will reiterate them. North Korea is much closer to developing nuclear weapons then Iran, thus making North Korea a much greater threat. North Korea has ballistic missiles and biochemical weapons to attach to those missiles, making them a much greater threat. North Korea has the ability to use terror themselves, thus making them a much greater threat than Iran.

Thus North Korea is a greater threat to US national security than Iran. Please vote PRO.
JrRepublican

Con

JrRepublican forfeited this round.
Posted by merciless 5 years ago
merciless
Change of plans. Second crossfire will be in here.
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
boredinclass
mercilessJrRepublicanTied
Reasons for voting decision: con forfeit
Vote Placed by RougeFox 5 years ago
RougeFox
mercilessJrRepublicanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit