smileypen
LexiBethH

Resolved: On Balance, the benefits of genetically modified foods outweigh the harms

smileypen

Pro

First I"d like to define the term GMO, according to Merriam Webster, GMOs are organisms whose genome has been altered in order to favor the expression of desired physiological traits or the output of desired biological products.

1. My first contention is how GMO"s are being modified to tolerate harsh land environments. This enables them to be grown all year in any place and make use of empty land. For example, according to Triple Pundit in an article titled, "Genetically Modified Plants to Resist Intense Drought" posted on January 20th, 2012, written by David Allouche, states that "Rosetta Green is using a technology that can identify MicroRNAs, which are short RNA (ribonucleic acid, a nucleic acid present in all living cells. Its principal role is to act as a messenger carrying instructions from DNA for controlling the synthesis of proteins,)molecules that play an important role in the regulation of key genetic traits in major crops. The MicroRNAs identified by the company were used to develop prototype plants with significantly improved drought tolerance. The genetic modification was performed by plant tissue culture methods that result in genetic transformation, and this "improved trait" survives from one generation to another, according to Avniel.

2. My second contention, is the demand for a larger food supply developing countries call for. For example, according to the University of Michigan in an article title "GM Crops: Costs and Benefits" written by the University of Michigan, in developing countries, such as in the African and South American continents, population is growing at a much faster rate than the amount of available foods, and genetically modified foods may be the best possible solution. The reason for this is that these genetically modified foods have been proven to demand little water, are resilient to harmful pests and bugs and grow larger so there are more crops per acre. So as you can see, this human invention has the potential to allow Africa and other developing countries the ability to "feed itself" in an easy manner by growing and harvesting all their own fruits and vegetables.

3. My last contention is the Health benefits provided by GMO"s. Through out the biotechnology studies, it was found that GMO"s could have the potential to provide edible plant vaccines that could be used to immunize individuals against an extensive variety of infectious diseases. For example, according to an article written by UC Santa Cruz, titled "Benefits of GM Foods", is was written that transgenic potato plants have been produced and tested successfully by utilizing a genetically engineered food to deliver a pharmaceutical immunization against diarrhea.
LexiBethH

Con

Okay, I'm not going to type a lot. I don't really have much to say, and I would do some research but I cannot right now or in the next 2 days. All I know is when people start wanting to redesign natural things like bodies, land, test subjects, food, nothing good comes out of it. I don't want to eat anything genetically modified. The thought disgusts me. I, and many others, want natural food. No matter how 'good' scientists claim GMO is, eventually they're going to find out it's actually bad for you. Everyone wanted to smoke cigarettes in the 1900's, now everyone is stopping because it causes lung cancer(not all the time). Crappy example, but anything that is not natural always turns bad in the end.
smileypen

Pro

LexiBethH

Con

LexiBethH forfeited this round.
smileypen

Pro

smileypen forfeited this round.
LexiBethH

Con

LexiBethH forfeited this round.
Posted by Eav 2 years ago
Eav
Shouldn't you (@smileypen) be Pro for this matter?