debaterbayne1
jingzhezhang

Resolved: On balanced, government employee labor unions have a positive impact on the United States

debaterbayne1

Con

Whoever accepts this debate I shall let go first.
jingzhezhang

Pro

I will be standing in firm affirmation of the resolution.
These are my points:

First, it isn't fair to decrease the public sector's pay because of the recession. The affirmative should argue that these people make our country run and need to be compensated well for their work. Affirmatives can assert that we shouldn't short postal workers, teachers, and firefighters just because some bankers on Wall Street made some bad decisions. If we take pay away from these people, they are likely to leave their jobs. If anything, affirmatives can argue that we should at least stabilize pay for these positions.

Second, the deficit isn't the fault of the public sector. Many people will argue that pensions, health care, and retirement benefits for public sector workers, cost too much and the taxpayer shouldn't be responsible for them. Affirmatives can argue that it isn't the deficit isn't the fault of public sector workers and that it is not fair to punish them for others' mistakes.

Third, specific unions have benefited the United States. Teachers' unions have been critical in raising wages for teachers, thereby attracting well-qualified individuals to the field. The National Education Association, the country's largest labor union, has been years ahead of the United States in terms of civil rights since before the Civil War. Four years before the war broke out, the NEA was admitting black members. Also, they elected a female president a decade before the United States gave women the right to vote. This organization has lobbied congress on some of the most important issues to face our country, including the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the establishment of the GI Bill, the Bilingual Education Act, and several other things that have advanced the status of education and civil rights all over the United States. Unions for other professions, such as fire fighters, police, and sanitation workers, have also been beneficial. Given a little bit of research, you can find a huge number of similar examples.

Fourth, government employee labor unions are beneficial for the United States because they encourage people to go into the public sector. The private sector often offers more lucrative pay, better benefits while employed, and an increased ability for promotions. Affirmatives can argue that labor unions are essential to fight for workers rights so that the public sector can compete (in terms of job related benefits) with the private sector and attract new and talented employees. Affirmative debaters can claim that the public sector is necessary for the security and stability of the nation and that labor unions are essential to protect the interests of not only those that work in the public sector, but for all citizens who use the public sector's services on a daily basis. And if you have ever gone to a public school, taken out the garbage, or mailed a letter, you have benefited from the public sector.

Thank you, and I look forward to your response. :)
debaterbayne1

Con

I now thank my opponent for accepting this debate and his timely responce.

I shall now present my own case

1. The employer could start losing authority over his or her company.
2. Employee wages would skyrocket.
3. Government pensions can be really high.

1. The employer could start losing authority over his/her own company.

The power of the labor unions enable them to make employers lose their control by stopping them from firing someone when they are in a tight spot like when another depression or the economy goes bad and the company loses jobs, they will need to fire some people in order to stay in business but since the people are protected by the union the employers cannot fire them so they will start losing money and the companies will be forced to close down. This also is bad for the union member because they also lose a job whether they like it or not and they will especially have a hard time to find a new job.

On to my second point

2. The labor unions would not only make the employers lose power but they could change the wages a lot higher than usual causing the employer to start losing money and going into debt so they cannot afford to pay other people and therefore like I said in point 1, people would start losing money and the economy would go down considering that the economy is in the toilets, people would probably want to do there best to make the economy go up.

Now to my third and final point

3. According to the huffington post labor union pensions will be quite a problem. Note that a pension is a fixed amount of money paid to a retired person but according to the huffington post, like I have said earlier, the pension will start increasing the longer the person lives, that also like I said in point 2 will make the economy go bad. Some people may think that the United States is one of the richest states in the world but actually I believe we are the 10th so we would probably want to make us look better and increase our economy. Therefore, I believe that labor unions does more harm than good. Thank you.

And with this said, please vote Con.
jingzhezhang

Pro

jingzhezhang forfeited this round.
debaterbayne1

Con

My opponent has forfeited but I will give him another chance to attack my points, If he continues to forfeit, I shall forfeit as well.
jingzhezhang

Pro

If you are a voter please vote for Pro, I was very busy for the last few days and didn't have enough time to post.

debaterbayne1

Con

Since my opponent is still holding his lines I shall continue this debate. Here are my rebuttals.

My opponent has stated in his first point that "it isn't fair to decrease the public sector's pay because of the recession".

Well, if we pay someone who does not work, what good is this for the companies? If we pay a equal amount of money to someone who does nothing at all and someone who works very hard, it would not be fair to the people who work very hard. Also, if people get a "stabilized pay", the companies would lose more money and more customers. Considering that our economy is in the toilets our economy would also go down. For this, I think that this point would be more bad than good to companies.

My opponents second point is "the deficit isn't the fault of the public sector".

Actually, it is, Like I have stated in my first rebuttal that public sectors make people lose money, worsen the economy, and would not be fair for hard working employees. Also, pensions is a fixed amount of money to pay for retired people, how is this bad? Pensions help retired people take care of themselves, after all, these people paid the labor unions to help them.

And my opponents third and last point was "specific unions have benefited the United States.".

While this is true, like I said over and over again that the unions probably only benefit the people but not the companies. Can you state how many unions have benefited the U.S.? Obviously, this may be a good impact on the United States but it could worsen it by making the economy go down.

With this said, please vote for CON.
jingzhezhang

Pro

Thank you adn please vote for CON.
(see conmments)
Posted by jingzhezhang 6 years ago
jingzhezhang
I'm not going to have enough time to post because of TAKS.
Posted by jingzhezhang 6 years ago
jingzhezhang

Posted by debaterbayne1 6 years ago
debaterbayne1
thats not bad
Posted by jingzhezhang 6 years ago
jingzhezhang
We got sixth in group improv.
Luke and I also made it to semi-finals in parli. debate.
Posted by debaterbayne1 6 years ago
debaterbayne1
did you win?
Posted by jingzhezhang 6 years ago
jingzhezhang
I'm sorry I had a debate tournament.